Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Jutland Ⅱ: 1941

Discussion in 'Atlantic Naval Conflict' started by Class of '42, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Class of '42

Class of '42 Active Member

I would of liked to seen one huge naval battle of the war..the Royal Navy vs the Kriegsmarine and once again off the Denmark coast, with the Bismark and the Prince Eugen tangling with the Hood and the Prince of Wales but other battleships, cruisers and destroyers soon joining in the fray from opposite directions as well. Naturally the British have the advantage in ships and the line of battle, as they have broken the German code but the Kreigsmarine have something to prove against their adversary from the first war, as well as some wolf packs waiting for their prey plus some Condor squadrons attacking from overhead. Would the British carriers tip the balance or been torpedoed early on?..Tirpitz vs King George V...sure makes for an interesting scenario of events.

British ships.jpg

2. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

Honestly I'd expect a similar outcome to Jutland 1.

The German capital ships were heavily armoured and proved hard to sink. The Royal Navy had mostly older ships with upgrades, and some treaty ships, but an obvious numerical advantage.

In a straight fight? RN loses more ships, but pounds the Kriegsmarine to the sea floor by sheer weight of numbers.

With air power involved? RN carriers and German land-based aircraft... in 1941 the Luftwaffe would be unlikely to achieve serious damage against the Home Fleet, but the threat could cause them to disengage. Swordfish and Skuas could certainly damage German capital ships

Submarines? Well, they are just too slow to have any impact except through getting lucky and being in the right place.

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

A harder question would be "why?"

4. Takao

Takao Ace

Great Naval Battles of the North Atlantic by SSI.

Loved that game!

5. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

The Royal Navy could absorb its losses. The Kreigsmarine could not. Raeder was right about dying with dignity.

RN ships were older with many battleships and battlecruisers being from late WW I and slightly post-WW I. The Kriegsmarine had newer ships. The newer KG V class had smaller guns, but as originally proposed were supposed to have three quadruple turrets (12 14" guns). Even the HMS Vanguard which was a modernised KG V with 15" guns that were taken from storage.

Use to do naval wargames all the time.

6. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

Lol, I chose to sidestep that one. No way would the Kriegsmarine chose to sacrifice themselves for no reason at all.

7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

How about "Der Fuhrer said we had to!"