Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Kar98k vs Mosin Nagant

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Iroh, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Whoa up here buddy. The Mauser K98k (Carbine) had a longer not shorter barrel than the Mosin-Nagant.

The K98k had a barrel length of 600 mm, only the pre-WW2 Mosin-Nagants had a longer barrel. After 1938 production years the M-N barrels were actually shorter than the Mauser 98k, at 510 mm.

Those made between 1910 and the mid-1930s had long 730 mm barrels, where the original Mauser 98 barrel was nearly the same at 740 mm long.

So a it was shorter barrel in the M-N before war production started, not longer. Which was really a carbine and which was a rifle by your definition here? The M-N was closer to a carbine than the Mauser, it had a shorter barrel.

3. Sheikh Al Stranghi

Sheikh Al Stranghi Member

I'd say the K98k is a much better weapon than the 91/30.

The bolt system is really easy to operate while keeping the rifle on the shoulder and rapid fire can be achieved with little training. Overall the quality of the mauser rifles is much better with less variation between batches. I'ts more accurate and a LOT better to handle in the field with the weight distribution being perfect. The 91/30 is a little more reliable when dirty but a K98k comes a long way if you treat it a little rough. Worst problems I've had with the K98k was the empty casing not ejecting properly (had to tap it out with one hand) or the bolt not closing all the way (had to ram it down).

Remember the quality of the ammunition batch also matters a lot!

4. ScreamingEagleMG42

ScreamingEagleMG42 Member

Few years ago when this thread started Sloniskp and TA were discussing the supposed 1000 yard capability of these two rifles...

Ladies and gentlemen my most favorite youtube subscription,

YouTube - mag30th's Channel

I've posted his vids once before i think. check out his whole channel for some incredible shooting vids. His videos and some friendly forum members actually got me started into reloading for my Garand.

TA is absolutely correct in his original comments about ammo quality, this guy here has been doing this for years and is no doubt spending a whole lot of time preparing his own loads. Anyway, it is cool to see the maximum capability of these rifles. Not to mention the extensive work he has gone to accurizing his rifles from the vid description, "Ive glass bedded the receiver, removed the upper hand guard, floated the barrel, and removed both front and rear iron sights. Additionally, Ive researched tons of various loads for this, and found that the 200 grain match (reloads in .308 diameter bullets) with 50.4 grains of IMR 4350 seem to be the best combination for my 91/30's 1,000 yards 1942 91/30 Russian Mosin-Nagant (P/U) sniper rifle."

Won't be long before you see vids of the screamer taking 1000 yard shots... HA!

5. machine shop tom

machine shop tom Member

6. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

[QUOTE Additionally, Ive researched tons of various loads for this, and found that the 200 grain match (reloads in .308 diameter bullets) with 50.4 grains of IMR 4350 seem to be the best combination for my 91/30's 1,000 yards 1942 91/30 Russian Mosin-Nagant (P/U) sniper rifle."

Won't be long before you see vids of the screamer taking 1000 yard shots... HA![/QUOTE]
    And to think, all I do is shoot mine at old TV's and such....
    I've never had to kill a TV at a thousand yards though!

7. ScreamingEagleMG42

ScreamingEagleMG42 Member

Your cause is a noble one... For all TV's out there which no longer get proper use must be disposed of properly... at a rifle range.

8. Long Bars

Long Bars Member

The K98k, definitely. It is lighter, shorter, handier, is just as accurate, has a similar ROF, and is better made. Only thing I don't like about the K98k is the sights and the sling system. But I'd carry one over the Mosin any day.

9. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

The weights are comparable, accuracy isn't an issue and construction perfection of a battle rifle is rather a poor reason for preferring one over the other. In fact the sloppy tolerances of the Mosin made it more fucntional in poor weather, mud, or other inclimate conditions. The Mauser is the best hunting rifle to ever go to war though.

That said, the Mauser K98k (Carbine) had a longer not shorter barrel than the Mosin-Nagant. The K98k had a barrel length of 600 mm, only the pre-WW2 Mosin-Nagants had a longer barrel. After the 1938 production years the M-N barrels were actually 90mm shorter than the Mauser 98k, at 510 mm.

10. Vintovka

Vintovka Member

I own a number of both rifle's and both are very good,each has it's small advantage's. On a personal unbiased opinion I prefer the Mosin rifle 91/30 - it's very very simple,accurate,and hard hitting.
    Today some Russian sniper's even Spetsnaz prefer the old scoped 91/30 over the SVD
    [​IMG]

11. BoltActionSupremacy

BoltActionSupremacy Member

Having just read "Stalingrad" by Antony Beevor, i remember him saying about snipers did try use AT rifles (like the PTRD i think, not PTRS) with scopes attached to try take out machine gunners in entrenched loopholes, however the idea was quickly dropped as the weapons + ammunition were not crafted with enough skill and precision to be able to give consistent accurate shooting.

EDIT: My memory isnt bulletproof, cant remember if he said it as 'theory or in practice'

From what i have read, for sniping it would be the Mosin because of its proven ruggedness + reliability, chews through bad quality ammo and still reasonably performs, and easy scopes able to be altered by hand using the shooters judgement.

Although as a standard infantry rifle i would use the Kar98k. Something about german engineering i like. Very precise :)

12. Vintovka

Vintovka Member

Yep they did attach sniper scopes to their anti tank rifles
    [​IMG]

13. D_CodyD

D_CodyD recruit

---------I'm sorry but I just can't help it when I see someone telling people a bunch of opinions when they don't have facts so i made my own account. Now first of all just because the nagant had a smaller round doesn't mean at all it was a smaller version of the mauser, both were capable to put people to rest but the nagant could go farther distances because of the velocity, and the nagant was more accurate so therefore it was better at its job..... a rifle. Also, rimmed cartridges jam less and if it did jam (which would never happen i own one it fires under horrible conditions a lot like the ak-47) you could take it out by the rim with your finger unlike a rimless. Again I'm sorry a thirteen year old had to tell you but you should research before you give info.

14. D_CodyD

D_CodyD recruit

I don't know if you've heard but 30 cal. is the caliber of chose for sniping then and now and the cartridge they use is that of a 308 and a 7.62x54 has more powder behind it than a 308.

15. lwd

lwd Ace

That very much depends on who's shooting, where, and to what prupose. I've heard some that prefer a .22. Most do seam to prefer something in 7.62 for most purposes but 7.62 NATO seems to rank right up there. So Does the 300 Winchester magnum. The Brits and a number of others are using the 348 Lapua and some favor the 12.7. Others callibers have their proponents.

16. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Yep, .22 for short distances and guard dogs or special areas, the 7.62Nato is a good choice for the most job´s except in the mountains with the need to make angle shots up- and downhill. For that the .300winmag. And the 338 Lapua mag for long distance shootings and anti material. I dont like the .50cal for the reason of its weight. And you will know what i mean if you have to carry this rifle while stalking for hours.

Regards

Ulrich

17. lwd

lwd Ace

Thanks for the quiet correction on the Lapua.

I've also heard the 12.7 has a significant firing signature still it's got a lot of punch so it works well for some jobs.

18. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

You´re welcome! Yes, it has a lot of energy and do the job very well! And with an wet towel in front of the barrel the "Sandstorm" isn´t to much!
    But back to the question, i would prefer the Nagant for its easy technical design and the good accuracy too. OK, i am from Mauserland but this rifle has some advantages against the K98k.

Regards

Ulrich

19. lwd

lwd Ace

I'm no expert but from what I've read (I haven't fired either rifle) the specific rifle and the comfort level of the user with the rifle are probably more important than the brand name.

20. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

You´re right! well known Brands are nice but not all!