Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

killing movie monsters with firearms

Discussion in 'The Guns Galore Section' started by majorwoody10, Aug 12, 2007.

1. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    in monster movies guns are often used to little or no effect ..godzilla ignores m60 tank rounds ,king kong shrugs off .30 mg bursts ...i would suggest that an ordinary enfield , mauser or garand would drop an actual t rex dinisaur quite nicely although it might take the entire magazine to really finnish the job .. african bull elephants are poached illegally by ivory hunters useing regular jacketed ammo and ak 47s ...i belive one quick pass from a boeing or hawker biplane would put kong to sleep immediatly in real life , given his size and weight , an ordinary deer rifle aimed carefully for the left eyeball from straight ahead ? imo . plop , down goes the monkey ......
    any man sized monster would succumb to an ordinary police issue .38 revolver , even a snubby ,close up ...although bullets cast in silver ( for werewolves ) might be hard to puchase over the counter in most cities .. in jaws , roy scheider must hit the scuba tank in the fishes mouth to stop him ..in real life even a 20 foot great white would shudder to a stop with one clean strike from any .30 cal military rifle of ww1 vintage ..ditto lions and tigers and bears ( oh yes) ...and if tom cruise can chop the arm off of a martian walker with an ordinary woodsmans ax , why cant an abrahms mbt ap round punch through the hull of of one?
    ..i know it would ruin a good montser movie storie line but , as i have assured ny kids , i could lay out most monsters real or immagined with what i have easily to hand in my office den ..with godzilla though , i can make no guarantees ..that buggar will prolly require something from the national guard armoury down on todd road ...

2. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'd say a T-Rex would be able to take a submachine gun, but I don't know much, that's just what I think. Unless you get headshots, which is hard when a T-Rex is at least, maybe 13 feet tall. King Kong should shrug off off submachine gun fire even better, but in the new movie biplanes with probably light machine guns did the job. Godzilla immune to M60 rounds and taking two barrages of AIM-9s I think was a bit over.

IMO what else is over is that you taking down a T-Rex or King Kong with a pistol, or maybe you have a rifle, but still.

3. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2

Submachine gun ammunition does not have the kind of power a .303 or .308 or 8mm Mauser round have, tbh I don't know if these kind of rounds would take these creatures down or not, a T-rex no longer exist except in Musuems and King Kong doesn't exist at all.

4. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    After having hunted in Africa I can tell there are seriuosly tough animals on that continent. The reason they make big bore super magnums is because you need them if you want to hunt elefants, rhinos, crocs, buffalo, etc. The poachers who kill them with AKs are using full magazines to do it.

5. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    From what I have read it is possible to kill *most* large creatures with suprisingly small-calibre weaponry, but you need to have a damn good aim.

With some though you do need a nice big, powerful bullet.

6. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    With poachers, I've heard alot of them have been using RPG-7's to hit Hippos.
    True you can kill larger animals with small-caliber weapons but you need to be either very lucky or very skilled becuase you don't want an animal like that charging at you.

On the course of small hunting rounds has anyone heard of the .17

7. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    RPGs? They might as well go in an armoured car to get away from patrols.

8. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Where I was in Africa patrols weren't a common thing, but roadblocks were. Mind you Uganda only really suffers trouble in the North and being part of a school group we were forced to stay in the south for safety reasons so I can't say if they patrol in that region on not.

9. Zable Fahr

Zable Fahr New Member

This red charnel pit of primal horror, howling bla
    via TanksinWW2
    in reply to Ricky's post

http://www.huntchat.com/showthread.php? ... adid=18072

last post. i'll put it here (spelling errors included) in case you don't feel like clicking links :p

damn impressive, i say!

10. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    A .22 rifle felling the largest land animal alive today? That guy has good aim.

11. sinissa

sinissa New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Whell elephant is not so tiny target and 22 is pretty much accurate weapon ,there is no kick at all ( i hitted bird from 50m distance with old 22 single shoot rifle).

12. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    dave;
    There a few .17 caliber cartridges around. Can you be more specific?

13. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    an elephant with a .22 short ,i would never have belived it possible , unless the bullet was poisened or the animal died a week or two later from infection ....

14. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I know-thought people used superbores to hunt elephants and other large mammals.

Does anyone know of a few superbore cartridges and/or rifles?

15. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i do think one steady shooter with an enfeild or mauser could drop a reconstituted T REX ,,a garand would be better and one of those new semi auto .50 sniper rifles would be better yet...i would not feel very confident with a .22 short or even a .22 magnum though....

16. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2

Having looked into it myself I have just realised the vastness of .17 rounds.
    I don't know the specs but ealier today I used a Remmington .17 Magnum, (Ibelieve that was what it was called) It was a plastic tipped round, very nice to use aswell.

Blaster
    Big game animals are often hunted with Superbore weapons.
    I can't name any specific calibers.
    But I do have a South African friend who owns one of these rifles.

17. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    There are two rimfire .17 calibers on the market, the .17HMR and .17Mach2. The HMR is very popular and is a .22 Magnum necked down to take a .17 caliber bullet. Then there several centerfire .17 calibers with the .17 Remington being the most popular.

As for hunting rifles with larger calibers, the .375H&H is probably the most common worldwide. Then followed by the .404 Jeffrey, .458 Win Mag, .505 Gibbs, .585 Nyati and others up to the .750 Nitro.

18. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    ..is that point 75 as in 3 fourths of an inch , yipes , thats gotta have a nasty recoil ...and why the bb gun caliber rounds .17 ..what is the reason for such a tiny bullet?

19. Notmi

Notmi New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I've never heard about .750 Nitro (Express?). Some kind of wildcat? Like .700 NE wasn't enough...

20. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    You are correct, I meant .700 Nitro Express. At work right now and have a few distractions. :oops:

The .375 H&H is probably the most common of the larger bores due to the fact that it is a managable cartridge recoil wise, doesn't need an overly large rifle to use it and has proven effective on every continent. Many experienced safari hunters still consider it the minimum for hunting dangerous game though.

The reason behind the .17 rimfires is mostly marketing (something fun and different) as they really don't have anymore terminal ballistics than the old standby .22 rimfires. They are faster, tend to be more accurate, and the smaller bullet allows it to fly farther. The centerfire .17's are mostly for small varmints such as gophers, groundhogs, prarie dogs, jack rabbits, wild cats, foxes, etc. where the performance of a .22 centerfire (.222, .223, .22-250, etc) isn't needed or wanted.