Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

King Tiger's in Normandy?

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by Matchstick, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Joey_Blau

Joey_Blau New Member

nice thread.. the funny thing is that for the amis every tank became a TIGER!! looking at the production figures not every tank they saw could have been a Tiger.

2. SDP

SDP recruit

It was very easy, in the heat of War, to confuse a MkIV with a Tiger. Both tanks had a square boxy look and the MkIV had vertical spaced armour on the turret which made it look similar to a Tiger. Even more difficult to differentiate between the two when also covered in foliage camouflage.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

A quick heads-up for anyone seriously interested in this subject ; Didier Lodieu's '45 Tigers in Normandy' has just gone into a third impression and is available direct from the author at : -

lodieu.didier@wanadoo.fr

As with the previous editions, quantities will be very limited. Take note that it is in French but don't despair - the photographic research alone is worth it ( Didier must literally have left no stone unturned...)

4. FalkeEins

FalkeEins Member

Martin,

very pleased to hear this - I've lost touch with Didier. He must have bought the 'rights' back from his first publisher Ysec, because we did a translation of this book together years ago, but it was never used by Ysec. I wonder if it differs at all from the first edition? Is none of it at all in English, not even the captions ?

5. James Stewart

James Stewart Active Member

IMG_1877.JPG IMG_1880.JPG IMG_1879.JPG I picked up a copy of "45 Tiger en Normandie" must be the guts of 10-12 years ago in the Bayeux Museum shop, I am not a French IMG_1876.JPG speaker but for the photos alone and my rough understanding of the language, 33 Euros was fine by me.
    Attached one or two examples.
    There are so many good books published in french , a pity more are not in english, this being one of them.