Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Knife used by soliders in European Theatre

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by fatbot, Dec 10, 2009.

1. fatbot

fatbot Member

Hi to all:)

What combat knife was mainly used by soldiers in the European Theatre? Did they use the Kabar like the USMC or was it something completely different?

Thanks!
    Fatbot

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

This is applicable to both the ETO and the PTO as far as I know, the six inch Cattaraugus 225Q and the Case 337Q Fighting/Combat knives were issued in their thousands for the GI personnel in both Army and Navy. While the USMC tended toward the K-Bar as did other "special commando" groups, but the First Special Services Force had a very special "fighting knife" designed for themselves alone. The V-42 which I believe was also made by Case & Sons Cutlery.

I would go with the 225 and 337Q's as the most common issued fighting knives for the general "foot pounder".

3. fatbot

fatbot Member

Thanks for that info, much appreciated.

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Soldiers in the European Theatre also used the Sykes-Fairbairn 'Commando' knife and , in the case of the Germans, the close-combat knife which was based on a hunting design.

5. Triple C

Triple C Ace

The V-42 I think is very much a design inspired by the F-S commando knife. I don't even know the Germans had a dedicated fighting knife. I was told by Brian that British sappers were also issued the commando knife, a dreaded item because those who were caught by it would be executed by the Germans as they took no SOE prisoners.