Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lesley James Fieldhouse's crew from 514 Squadron

Discussion in 'Air War in Western Europe 1939 - 1945' started by Grandson Andrew, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Grandson Andrew

Grandson Andrew Member

The funny thing is, she didn't even remember she had it... and she said she would never think of reading someone else's diary...
    I had to convince her that it was her husband's part in History (and her part too coz she was a nurse during the war) and that it was her "duty" to make sure that it was not forgotten in an attic for no one to read!
    I think she got the message and might just try and find a bit more. I'm praying for her to find a diary of 1943 and 1944. And I also asked her to write everything she could remember of her experience, so I could pass it down to my children, if ever I have any !

I'll put the rest of the diary on this site, there are other interesting comments in it...(and a lot of : "nothing doing today, went to station cinema") He must have seen many films during his time in the RAF!!!

2. Grandson Andrew

Grandson Andrew Member

Thanks for sharing that Erich! Are you saying that it wasn't an ME410 that hit them?

3. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Good luck with that Andrew! Looking forward to reading more! We need to do all we can to get their experiences down on paper or recorded, to pass to the next generation, as you said. Thanks again for sharing! I'll be watching for more!

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Yes Andrew exactly. only Bf 110G-4 and Ju 88G-6 which constituted NJG 6. typical mis-identification at night easily done in the heat and chaos of night air battles by both sides.

Erich ~

Skipper likes this.
  5. Grandson Andrew

Grandson Andrew Member

Thurs. the 4th : "Pay day £ : : 5/-tomorrow
    The raid today - did a DI and had the afternoon off. Went to ...(smudged)"

6. Grandson Andrew

Grandson Andrew Member

LUDWIGSHAVEN

FRIDAY 5th JANUARY-1945

"There was a couple of inches of snow on the ground, when we arrived at the A/C... we all pored for our photos before we took off.
    At 11.25 we were airborne in the old 'C' Charlie. Our bomb load, the usual 4000lB cookie and 16500lbs. It was terribly cold at 15000ft and the A/C would not climb and could not keep up with the others. At the "Dog Leg" we managed to get in front. We were all feeling pretty shaky after wednesday nights effort.On the run in over the target - we were on our own at 16500ft and our air speed was about 150mph(I). We made an awful run in.
    The flak was discribed at interrogation as........."INTENSE"...... We seemed to be the centre of attraction. We had to dodge many bombs from the chaps up above at 20000 feet.
    When we arrived back at Base we counted about a dozen holes. The A/C was 4/5 and was, because of its age, sent to the scrap heap where it rightly belonged............"

7. chrisf

chrisf recruit

Hi All

I've just come across this forum and thread. I'm Chris Fairfax, son of Alan Fairfax, the "Sgt A. Fairfax" , navigator, Andrew has mentioned. I was amazed to see Dad's face smiling out at me from Andrew's photos - quite an emotional experience! I also have Dad's log book. Sadly Dad passed away in 2004 at 80. Let me know if ayone is still following this thread as I'd love to have more info.

Best

Chris

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hi chris I'm still around and would love it if you would accept to join us here.

9. chrisf

chrisf recruit

Hi Skipper

Many thanks for your reply - I would love to join as it’s amazing to be in touch with those who had some contact with Dad during those years - either directly or indirectly. I'd be very interested to hear any stories of those times and the guys Dad flew with.

Dad stayed in the RAF after the War up until 1956. He was stationed at RAF Jever in Germany from ‘53 to ‘56 and was the station intelligence officer (as a F/Lt). I made contact with one of his former colleagues recently, apparently Dad had an encyclopaedic knowledge of Soviet military hardware and he was also secretly tasked with debriefing RAF officers who thought they had made UFO sightings – interesting stuff but something he never told me about as he was a stickler for the Official Secrets Act!

Anyway, it would be great to hear more and if it’s of interest I could try and post images of his log book (I’m not really a forum aficionado). I also hope Andrew might still be tuned in as I’d love to have a copy of the large Squadron photo.

Best

Chris

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I'll send Andrew a pm or an email to let him know you are trying to contact him.

11. chrisf

chrisf recruit

Many thanks Skipper

12. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Posted today on https://www.facebook.../514SquadronRaf

I am finally getting round to setting up a proper website for the squadron.
    It will be http://www.514squadron.co.uk

I would like to share photos and other information submitted by people to this Facebook site, credited to the contributors of course.
    If you do not want your material shared on the website please can you let me know and I will respect that.
    The website is non-profit-making (indeed it will cost me a monthly fee with the web host).

13. pinuche0706

pinuche0706 recruit

14. pinuche0706

pinuche0706 recruit

Hi Chris, For our archives of 514 Squadron I am looking for copy (scans) of Alan Fairfax. Eventually he was at least 195188 (1673373) P/O. 15/02/1945 then F/O 10/08/1945. You can PM me if you want to have my email address.

15. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Thanks for your input but Chris hasn't been around in nearly seven years. He stopped posting soon after these posts.

16. Philippa Bohan

Philippa Bohan New Member

Is anyone still here? FE Coe, bomb aimer, was my grandad who died in 2011 (sadly after this thread was started). It’s been such a privilege to read this post and see these pictures of him. Grandad did talk about his experiences and absolutely fascinating to read the same events I remember him telling me from another crew members prescriptive. I’d love to know anymore information people may have to try keep their memory alive ...

pinuche0706 and Otto like this.