Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Little help, Gneisenau's missing guns?

Discussion in 'Ships & Shipborne Weaponry' started by wartourist, May 15, 2008.

1. wartourist

wartourist Member

The Gneisenau
    Following an allied attack on the wharf in Kiel in February 1942, the 31.000 ton battlecruiser Gneisenau was severely damaged and later decommissioned by the Kriegsmarine. Her armament was used for coastal defenses along the Atlantic Wall, the “A” turret being damaged was split up in three individual barrels and used at the port of Rotterdam (now on display at Hoek van Holland), “B” turret going to Fjell Festung near Bergen in Norway and her aft turret “C” (for Caesar) was installed in Festung Austraatt west of Trondheim where it still stands.

Gneisenaus secondary armament consisted of twelve 15 cm (5.9 in) guns, eight of these in twin turrets, four in single mount with armored shield. Two of the twin turrets were moved to the Danish island of Fanoe, protecting the important port of Esbjerg (and emplaced in the only two M184 Regelbau bunkers in the entire Atlantic Wall). Post-war these guns were moved to the newly built (1951) fortress of “Stevnsfortet” to protect the entrance to Copenhagen harbor from Warzaw-pact forces. Stevnsfortet today is a cold war museum and the guns remain in mint condition.

The four single-mounted 15 cm guns are most likely the ones situated on “Langelandsfortet”, another Danish cold-war museum, leaving us (me) with one burning question; what happened to the other two twin turrets? My research so far point to Petsamo, once a northern province of Finland, but following the Continuation War (1941-44), seized by the former Soviet Union. However, that may well be other 15 cm guns as this type was in widespread use on German battleships.

Little help?
    If anyone on this board can shed some light on the fate of the missing Gneisenau twin turrets, I will be grateful to hear about it as it bugs me a bit not to know. The link above to Stevnsfortet shows you what the guns look like. I have also uploaded a couple of photos in the album Atlantic Wall Artillery

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Good question.

3. Takao

Takao Ace

belasar likes this.
  4. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Thanks Takao, I am merging threads from a defunct forum with ours for Otto and came across this one and it tickled my interest.

5. lwd

lwd Ace

The temptation to correct a minamally relevant error is almost overwhelming ... must resist ....

George Patton likes this.