Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

looking for copies of..................

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by C.Evans, Jan 2, 2001.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

any book written by: Gordon Davis. These are fictional books on ww2. The series is called: "The Sergeant" If you know where I can buy a copy, or have some for sale, I would like to buy them.

The books are paperbacks published by Bantam books in the late 70's to early 80's. These are THE BEST fictional books I have ever read.

2. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Member

Can you tell us more about this series of books? How many were printed? Has there been a reprinting since the 1980's?

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I only saw nine books in the series printed. The first two were printed by Zebra books, the rest by Bantam books. Some titles are:

#4 The Liberation of Paris.
    #5 Doom River (about the crossing of the Mosell, and the attack on Metz).

#8 Bastogne (about the Battle of the Bulge).
    #9 Hammerhead (takes place after the BoB). Its also the last one in the series I have ever seen.

Here is an exerpt from Doom River:

"FOLLOW ME!"

Mahoney slipped once and fell into the river. After swallowing some water, he regained his balance, holding up his carbine with both hands, sloshing toward shore. Bullets whistled over his head and he heard a screm to his left and a groan to his right. The water level was down to his chest nowand his legs pumped like pistons as he hurried toward the riverbank. "Lets go!" he yelled. "Hit the beach!"

At that moment he didn't look to his left or right to see where anybody was. He didn't give a damn about anything except saving his own worthless butt. The water was now down to his waist. Still fighting the current, he charged toward the beach. He saw flashes of light ahead and made a mental note of their location because that's where he intended to start firing as soon as he could.

Knees clear of the water, he raced through the shallows to the riverbank. Tripping over a stone, he pitched forward onto his knees, but he got up quickly and kept running. "Kill the bastards!" he screamed. "Charge!"

Needless to say, there are my favorite of all fictional books.

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Member

Hello C.Evans I liked what you wrote, if you can ever find an extra copy of any those books, i would like to buy any extras you can find.

5. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I called a used bookstore today, they said they might have some copies of these books you are looking for. (He says he remembers shelving them.) I'll make a trip out this week and see, If they are there, they are yours.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Otto: Much appreciated and let me know the price, I will make it worth you whils militaria-wise. Take care and will be back here as soon as I get out of the hospital.

7. J.Mahoney

J.Mahoney Member

Hey CE, I just bought #4 and #6 of that series at a used bookstore just yesterday. I started to read the book and could not pput it down. I think I will like all the books from this author. I originally bought these 2 books for you but as i read more I think i will just keep them. I dont want to sound like a jerk on this but i promise you if i find more copies of the same numbers as i have, i will give them to you.

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

No problem and thanks for looking for me anyway. These are a great series of books I dont know why they arent being republished? As you get along in the series, you will understand why I like those books as much as I do-especially with #8 Bloody Bastogne which is my favorite in the series.

9. Otto

I'm now more interested than ever about those books. But I just want to read them, If I find any I'll burn through them and send them your way Carl.

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thats outstanding! thank you very much Otto! These are THE best series of books I have ever read. Other great series to do with what this forum is about are: Casca, By: Barry Sadler and The Black Eagles, By: John Lansing. Each series has at least 23 books in them and almost all are excellent--unfortunately they are all fiction--especially Casca. The writing is so well done, that once you get into one of these books-you dont want to put it down. I useed to tick myself off sometimes because I would buy a new one and by the time I gave it a rest, I would be almost finished. I now force myself to quit after no more than 1-2 chapters a day.

11. USSBOWFINSS-287

USSBOWFINSS-287 Member

Gentlemen, I am excited about becoming a "member" of this "community"!! To add to the current discussion...I would highly recommend any of us taking time to check out the "goldmines" that are Used Book stores!!

One word of caution....have a decent idea of what the "market" should be if you are searching for a specific book! From personal experience, I have overpaid on more than one occasion!!

12. Otto

You are absolutely right Bowfin, used bookstores are my primary source of books nowadays.

Ironically, I have a book that I bought at a used bookstore called The Bowfin[/f]. It tells the tale of the boat you seem to be so interested in, and a great book it is.

13. USSBOWFINSS-287

USSBOWFINSS-287 Member

Yes, Otto-

"Bowfin" by Edwin P. Hoyt actually mentions my uncle Ens. J.L. Moore!! I was fortunate enough to locate four copies of the book, (HB and in good shape!) had my uncle sign one for each of my nephews (and one for their aunt, too!!!) and gave it to them last Christmas!!

I have a modest collection of WWII books and must say that I have yet to read a "dull" WWII sub book! Had a chance to walk thru the USS Torsk in Baltimore (1998) and had an even better appreciation for what those men must have endured on patrol.

Despite being fiction, "U-571" certainly gives one an idea of what a depth-charging must have been like! YIKES!!!

I hope to ask my uncle some questions regarding his service and post the answers here. If anyone has any specific questions for him, post them here and I will forward them on and note his reply!

14. Otto

if you do a whole interview I will gladly post it on this site. Even if it's built up slowly, one question at a time, over the months that would be fantastic.

what do you think?