Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

luger mag value?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by sniper1946, Aug 19, 2009.

1. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

that's pretty sad carl,can't help thinking! it takes away quality of life,constantly living under the fear of attack/break in,or aggravation,I take it the law stands up for your rights to defend yourself,and or your property...

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ray, that is the sad truth. Also, the only thing I ever agreed with our State Governer on was when he passed a law that went into effect as of Sept 1-2007) that he would fully back up any ciizen that used deadly force while protecting their property and family. This also means that if a homeowner found someone in their yard stealing something-and or on the street trying to break into his car-that a homeowner could use deadly force to stop the thief in question-and-the clincher is-is that the homeowner will not be prosecuted.

Shortly after Rick Perry signed that bill into law-the County District Atty-Carlos Valdez, made appearances on all the local TV stations broadcasts saying that he too would fully back up any citizen in protecting their family, home and other valuables-which he also cleary stated that even if it had happened in the street near the homeowners property.

Of course this does not mean that a person walking though your yard can be shot and killed because of tresspassing. However, I think the vast majority of folks are smart enough to know what's right and what's not right to do.

I've met Carlos Valdez on a number of occasions when I was visiting the COunty Courthouse for some reason, and we have had several conversations-one of which happened to be about that law being passed and that he would back up the common citizens right to do whatever is necessary to protect ones own self, ones own family and property. I speciffically asked him about that law and to his credit-he said the same thing to me that he had said on the news. As far as Attys go-I do like Carlos Valdez. He's a tough DA and he practices what he preaches.

A case in point that had happened I think 2-3 days after that bill was made and passed into law-that someone broke into a mans garage and tried breaking into his house entrance that was also a part of the garage. He happened ot be home eating lunch when he heard a noise coming from his garage-went to grab a pistol-which was a .22 cal pistol) and as he approached the door to his garage from the Kitchen, the door burst open and he was as shocked to see the burgler was to see the homeowner.

The thief then ran out of the garage closely followed by the homeowner who fired a shot-which hit the puink and that punk died later that day at the hospital. Well, the Cops arrested the guy but arlos Valdez stepped in-got that guys side fo the story, dropped all charges-personally handing the man back his pistol, shook his hand and apologized for the foul-up that was his arrest and also said that he would personally see to it that the local police would be fully aware of that law being passed as well as making sure that officers would be fully aware that it would not be tolerated is they arrested another person for defending their homes.

About a month or so after that, there was another incident involving a man who was about 55 or so, who had a criminal record longer than his arm, who decided to break into this huge 2-storey house located on Ocean Drive (where most of the richest of people live at who live in Corpus Christi.

What had happened was that a Mother had picked up her teenages Son at school early because he became sick. She dropped him off at their home then went to a nearby Pharmacy to get things fro her son. While she was away, an older Van had been sitting on some vacant land across the street from her home-in it were three occupants-wo were staking oput her home for burglarizing.

Two of the punks stayed in the van while the older criminal decided to go ahead and case the place and break into the garage-knowing nobody was home except for the teenaged bot and thinking this job was going to be easy.

While this prick was breaking into the garage, the Mother drove up (of corse not knowing that anything out of the ordinary had happened) and proceded to enter the house via the kitchen/garage dor entrance-not knowing that by then, the thief had just entered the house and was inside already.

Well, she heard a noise thinking it was her son (who happened to be upstairs in his bedroom-unknownst to her) and apparently confronted the thief who was rifling through a desk or something in another room. Of course she was very surprised at seeing someone in the house who was not supposed to be ther. That jerk was carrying a butcher knife-ran at her-she turned around and ran screaming up the stairs, the kid heard the scream and ran to his parents bedroom and took the dads .357 Magnum pistol, and rushed to his room which was closer to the stairs. He got to his room just as him mother readhed the top stair, and actually saw the guy slash down with that butchers knife trying to kil the lady. The lady made it to his room and they ocked the door and wer in the process of moving a chest of draws to place in front of the door but the thief had been able to do a Jack Nicholson "Heres Johnny" thing, having broken open the door and was attmepting to unlock the door-managing to do so. However, the thief had not reconed on the kid having a loaded weapon with him so-as soon as hefinished kicking the door to shreads and entered the room, the kid fired point blank-one shot from that .357 Magnum-killing that sorry SoB instantly.

To make this a bit shorter, the police of course were still very stern with the mother and kid-but the Police Chief stepped in and made a highly publicised statement, that no charges were going to be filed against the boy and that the boy was to be hailed as a local hero. It was also announced that his officers were all going to recieve aditional instructions on how to handle cases like these.

As a side note. Shortly after this incident had happened, the punk that was killed while trying to rob a persons home as well as attempted to kill the two occupants who were at home-his family made the news (for a very short time) trying to say that this was a racial killing just because the thief happened to be black and the victims happened to be white. They were also trying to get the ""Rev"" al sharpton involved in this-but did not succede. Because of that, the Police Chief along with Carlos Valdez, both publicly announced that this teen boy would never be prosecuted for this and that the thief would still be alive, had said thief not have tried to break into a home to steal things as wel as possibly kill the occupants.

Im in full agreement with the DA and P/C. It came out in thenews-that said dead thief-had a rap sheet as long as his arm, had comstantly been in and out of Juvie Hall, County and State lock-up since he was 10 years old. Also, back in the early 1980s, this thief was the one who murdered an eldery couiple who owned a Mom-and-Pop Store. He killed these two people for about $10.00. This Bas@@@@ was caught shortly after first killing the husband-then raped the woman and then slashed her throat. Allegely he killed them because he thought they were lying about were their money was and killed them for only $10.00.

3. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

sounds one hell of a problem carl,will gun laws ever change? the right to own a gun! with recent school shootings in last few years,do you ever see the time when stricter control will come into force,raising age limit,gun clubs only,I suppose the day has gone as the country is flooded with small arms to say the least,ray..

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I sure hope gun laws do not change because it's usually for the worse if they do change. I want the ability to have a tool that I can use to protect my house, my family and other property. Guns are that tool im talking about ;-)) I'll tell you one thing though, though these two incidents happened some 21 and 19 years ago-I had on two occasions, had unloaded weapons which saved me from being robbed and or killed. Both incident shappened late night or early morning when no traffic was out and your all alone in not so good of neighborhoods.

The first incident i had was when i was delivering the San Antonio Light newspaper in my old hometown of Kingsville. I had to be at the paper drop off point at 3AM in the morning. Anyway, after the truck arrived, I grabbel all my bundles of papers-then drove to where there was some light that I could use to see how to pet the papers together and set my route.

I was standing outside my car when busy wrapping papers and putting them into plastic sleeves when I heard somehting thst sounded like rain coming my way. I looked up amd about 100 people were running past me and my car-those people were all illegal aliens. I watched them turn off 6th street and were all running down Doddridge streeet (the street I grew up on) and they ran off into the darkness. Needless to say, none of them uttered a word to me and I didn't say anything either. I shrugged that interluide of and went back to preparing my newspapers. Well a few minutes later-another large group of illegal aliens ran past my car and headed down Doddridge street.

I had not expected to see any illegals yet especially two large groups of them just minutes apart. Well, I thought about getting into my car and driving to a safer location which had much more light to see by but decided against it as I only had about 50 more papers to prepare which would take only a few minutes. However, I decided to take out and place on the hood of my car-a .22 cal 9 shot pistol I had hidden ina paperbag under my car seat. I had it there because Allison and I used to go out targetshooting all the time and it was a pain in the arse for her to find it in her fathers bedroom and then sneak it out of the house-so we just left it in the car. Anyway, the pistol was not loaded but-I figured if anything else happened, that it was dark enough to not be able to see the weapon was not loaded but enough light to be able to see that it was a pistol.

Well, not expecting to see anymore illegals-or anyone for that matter, I went back to preparing my papers when, two men came out of the dark and speaking spanish. One asked me for what I took to be directions on which way to head that lead to San Antonio. I pointed in the opposite direction and while one guy was trying to keep my attention fully on him, the other guy tried to slip in behind me-and I reached for the pistol, pulled it out of the bag (I heard the other guy say soemmthing in spanish about a pistol, and I pointed it directly against his partners forhead.

Needless to say, they were as scared as I was and one of them told me a few curse words in spanish as they ran away into the darkness. I said to myself, F--- this, im outta here. I jumped into the car and drove several blocks away to finish doing my route prep/

The second incident came a few years later. I had been in miner trouble getting three traffic tickets so I was slowly working off the fines by doing community service in Corpus-I lived in Kingsville at the time) and I was supposed to do some work at a Church Halowen festival. I drove to Courpus, found that Church I was to be at-which was in one of the worst neighborhoods in Corpus-nicknamed: The Cuts. This was a mostly black neighborhood and the place was so bad the Cops didn't patrol it-especially at night.

Well, the Halloween work wnet well and I left the Church I think about 9:30PM? I made my way almost out of teh Cuts, when I felt my brake on my car give out. I HAD to stop in an unlighted parkinglot so i could try to see what the prob was? I opened the hood, and the damned light quit working so I was doing everything by matchlight. OK, go back several hours that day as I drove to Corpus at around noontime. I went early because I had two important stops to make. The first one was to Heavy's Gunshop-to finally pick up my first Walther P-38 pistol-which was sold by SOG International as a "Stalingrad Battlefield Pickup" and I think I paid maybe $150? $200?? cant remember? as this was circa 1991.

Anyway, I picked up my Walther from the gunshop owner who ordered it for me. I put the Walther in an empty MG-60 Ammo can I had in the trunk of my car. My next stop was to finally pick up my SChwinn Sprint 10-speed bike that has been workd on at a Bike shop. After that, i was to head over to that Church to help them set up the stands and such for the Halloween festival.

OK, back to after the festival had ended. I was out in a crappy neighborhood-totally focused on trying to fix my car but only had matches to be able to see to do anything with. Well, when I first opened the hood of my car-I wasn't really thinking about it but, for the hell of it, I pulled out my Walther-even though I had no ammo for it. Lucky for me I did pull the pistol out. I placed it on the airfilter while I tried to find the source where all my brake fluid had leaked out. It was too damn dark to see so, as I was putting caps on and hooking up a couple of rubber hoses, two guys approached me and came up asking if I had any smokes I could give them. I told them I didn't smoke, so one guiy asked if I could give him $2 bucks so ho coule go buy some. I said I was flat borke (which was a half-truth. All I had was $3 bucks on me and I needed that for gas to get back homw with.

While one guy tried to engage me in conversation and to keep my attention on him, the other had slowly slipped down the car and tried to circle around and get behind me. I reached for that Walther so damned quick that I could have been faster thana flash of lightning. As I grabbed it, I pulled bck the slide and made it slide forward as quickly as I could-simulating that the pistol was loaded. If they knew jack ship about guns-they would have known it was empty. Lucky for me they didn't know squat.

The guy asking for the money said something like: "OH SHIP, he's got a gun." Then he turned and ran away closely followed b his pal-whom I had been aiming that weapon at since i pulled it out. They ran down some street, and I hopped into myc ar without closing the hood all the way, and got the hell outta "Dodge." I drove a few miles donw Leopard STreet to a Circle K store that was open. I put the gas into my car, and also poured brake fluid into the well, and got the hell outta there. I made it back home before all the fluid leaked out again.

An yway, thanks to having a pistol with me both times, an unloaded weapon at that, saved me from being robbed, beaten up and or killed--twice. Ever since then, I have fully believed in gun ownership and I will never change my mind about gun ownership.

Sorry for the long story ;-))

5. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

is it safe to do or go anywhere these days! understand feelings on guns and from what you say,having one is a necessity,as from what you described, it did have beneficial efect in getting you out of a dangerous situation carl,it sounds like the wild wild west all over again,ray...

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ray, thanks and, well not exactly like the Wild West but more like modern Urban ;-)) It's always the punks who ruin it for everyone. Like the Boy Scouts motto says: "Be Prepared." I've taken that advice to heart ;-))

For instance-when I decide to go out on the town or to go eat a a restaurant-I always carry a small bottle of hand-sanitizer, a small bar of soap, a handkerchief-a few small paper towels, and a bottle of Aspirin and or Ibuprophen. One never knows when any of those items will be needed? ;-)) One time, I don't recall where? but one time, I was armed with all of these items and I was somewhere where I found this lady crying and holding her face. Apparently she had just had a major incident involving her boyfriend who beat her up.

Well, I gave her my handkerchief, and I gave her two Ibuprophen which helped ease some of her pains some and I also used the hand-santizer to wipe off some blood that had eased down her cheek.

Well, she didn't want an ambulance called and she was extremely greatful that I happened along. This incident happened some years ago, and today, im still in touch with her and we are good friends. Thankfully after being beat up by that now-ex-boyfriend, she left his butt behind in the dust. the guy has tried for years to get her to trust and like him again-which aint going to happen thankfully) but she now has a boyfriend who is very keen to her needs and very gentlemanlike to her-something she never got from the ex-bf.

When I lived in Corpus, I was welcome to be over at her pace anytime I wished to be ther. I usually went about once a week so as to not have to worry about wearing out my welcome ;-)) We used to go on double-dates sometimes. I had my then gf Jenniffer, and Kim had her boyfriend.

Had I not had a gf at the time, I might have thought about starting a serious one with Kim ;-)) However, since she had just gotten out of a terrible relationship, I never tried to be more than a freind that she needed more ;-))It took her almost 18 months after that beating she got-which BTW, (was over her not having had HIS supper ready when he got home) so he was enraged and started slapping her around HER apartment. Had I ever had met the guy, we would have wound up getting into a fight. I absolutely do not tolerate ""men"" slapping around Women. That's one of my biggest "pet-peeves".

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

found a well marked P-08 mag at my local friend/gunsmith selling for 25.00 US. think it went out the door later that day though

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi E, your lucky that the dealers you kno0w sell these things cheap. All the gunshops I have been in in Corpus and Houston have prices at least around $80 per mag.

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl most gunsmith dealers don't mind a little bartering either to drop the price, just depends if the guys are determined and obstinate with a silly sticktuitiveness

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I know exactly where your coming from but, most of the dealers i've tried to haggle with before-except for "Heavy" Contreras and Gary Hatley-most i've been to are stubbern as mues are. That's party why I never buy anything or anything of significance from them.

One case in point was when a local collector told me that the Texas Gunshop owner has three Lugers for sale in his store. I thought-cool and went to go see if he still had them and he did. One would normally think those lugers would sell quickly and at the prices he had on each of them--which was $350.00 per.

Thecatch was, that that gunshop owner reblued the lugers-and did such a lousy job of it and they looked like they had been painted. Also, none of them were straight shooters a the barrells were all shot-out and, they all were mixed numbers. The gunshop owner wanted my ""Black Widow Luger"" which everyone in the area knew I had one and whom I got it from. I thought -thatis before I went into his shop-that maybe I would trade it of for three lugers. Howeveer, the gunshop owner didn't tell me that these were all parts guns. I wasted my tme going into his shop and inquiring. I told him I could possibly be interested in buying all three of them but-at a total of $600 because they looked horrible but, I figuured I could use them for trading material.

The gunshop owner freaked at my ofer-even though it was actually a higher offer than I was wanting to make) and sad he had many people interested in buying them. I said that might be so but-where were the buyers at? Also, as this took place about 10 years ago-that was also the last time I ever stepped into his shop. Well, as late as sometime last year-I heard he still had all three lugers for sale. This time they were priced at $225 each. I had to :lol: :lol: :lol: about that as I told the dealer before I left his store-that he would never sell them at $350 each. I was proven correct so far ;-))

11. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

you certainly were in the right place at the right time carl,the good samaritan for sure,knight of the road,100% with you on wife/women beaters,bunch of worthless sc.......gs...