Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

M1940 Double Decal - WAFFEN-SS Charlemagne

Discussion in 'German WWII Uniforms and Equipment' started by Friedhelm, May 13, 2017.

1. Friedhelm

Friedhelm Member

Hello friends!

This helmet came up and I took a look at it, in my opinion the SS decal looks good the French shield has a nice shape but its location is a little lower than the SS shield in comparion of the ventilation hole. The SS shield has a distance of about 3mm which I have heard is the most valid distance used by most manufactures. And the French shield has about 5-6mm distance. Now could it be that the Helmet was made in first place and after the created the SS-Charlmemagne divison that they added this decal by hand? It would explain the difference.

I took a look at the Shell that looks like a genuine M40, the steel has been damaged by oxidation when I look at the decals it seems to be natural damaged similair to the paint damage. There seems to be no layer underneath it. The liner looks fair, in used condition seems nothing wrong. But the chinstrap has stampings I have never come across.

'RZM 540 SS'

I know that RZM was used as a sort of mark for all manufactures that were allowed to manufacture items for the SA, SS, NSKK etc, all NSDAP party items. But were these at militairy helmets as well? After all I think the helmet looks great but yeah I'm not that advanced that I see everything so help is always appriciated :)

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Friedhelm

Friedhelm Member

Chinstrap, and a wartime photo of a French volunteer with Stahlhelm with French shield.

Attached Files: