Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Medieval Total War

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by DesertWolf, Dec 14, 2004.

1. canambridge

canambridge Member

via TanksinWW2
    2.2 GB hard disk space, 100% Windows compatible PC running Windows 98, 2000, Me, or XP, DirectX 8.1 or later with DirectX compatible sound and video card drivers. Virtual memory must be enabled.

I can't find the box for MTW, but for Shogun the harware requriements are 233 MHz Intel Pentium/AMD K6 or 200 Mhz MMX processor; 64 MB RAM; 4X CD drive; 16MB video card. Consider about one better in each category, i.e., 512MHz processor, 128MB RAM, 64MB video card.

2. GP

GP New Member

via TanksinWW2
    They are easy in Rome total war. Four legions of heav infantry, siege towers, climbe the walls walk into the towers capture them then they are yours, the arrows in the towers never run out so they attack the forces inside the walls you get archers to climb up and fire too, then you walk in the front door with your heavy infanty and kill everyone insight. Then you exterminate the populace and get loads of money. You also have a small population in a larger city and so are obedient longer, If a city becomes unrestful, you tax them to death, they rebel and kick you out, you lay siege and the process starts again.

3. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'm currently playing as the Turkish.
    I did very well initially, killing off the Egyptians in turn 2! I also have control of the seas.
    However, land battles are much harder. I cannot get the hang of using Hasashin troops either. Any tips DesertWolf?

4. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Member

via TanksinWW2
    Certainly Ricky,

Remember that the Hashashin are masters of ambush and surprise. The trick is to keep them hidden in front of your positions, and when the unaware enemy king is near, mutilate him! Naturally you have to make sure you get to him before the gaurds apear to head you off. Especially the cavalry. I usually use Mamelouk archer cavalry to head off his units while my Hashashins do their job. When the King or general dies, attack, Tora, Sturm, the enemy positions as they will be demoralized.

If the enemy is overwhelming innumber however, Use the Hashashins behind ur lines as archers, though they are ony twelve per regiment, they have a surprising accuracy and may kill the elite units.

And the last thing is that you should never abandon the Hashashins in a battle, they are valuable and I will take it as an affront If u leave them die! :p :p :p Just kiddin :D

5. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.

6. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Member

via TanksinWW2
    Good luck ;)

7. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I picked up MTW again just yesterday, played another battle of Stirling Bridge and I must say I underestimated the enemy this time. His forces were large enough to launch no less than four full-swing waves of assault, and his morale was good enough to have the last two of those assaults be carried out after I killed his general. In the end he did rout, but not before he killed or routed two thirds of my army...

One unit I keep seeing in other countries and in historical battles is the Feudal Foot Knight, but I've never been able to build them myself. What improvements are required to build this unit?

And does anyone have any advice on how to win the battle of Agincourt... :-? :D

Oh, by the way, I finally figured out the perfect way to defeat peasant revolts. Usually they have some units of archers messing up your ranks, and often that unit of archers holds their general; I found that if you send a unit of cavalry behind his lines out of sight and let it rout the archers the rest of his forces will collapse. Admittedly the difficulty level was Easy, but using this tactic gave me four victories with losses under a dozen, against armies of over 1000 men.

8. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Member

via TanksinWW2
    I always play with difficulty medium, but the truth is when im fighting peasants, I deliberatly try to not rout them until I capture alot of them. That way I get morale bonuses when I pardon the prisoners. Admittedly polichickinal, but its effective :D .

Agincourt? I really dont remember that one, is it when your playing the english and start near a camp full of tents? With a large army of french cavalry heading towards you?

9. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yes, that's the one. Where you have large units of longbowmen and billmen at your disposal. I hoped that would be enough...

On the peasant warfare thing, I was about to ask you all which is the best tactic when you are presented with the question of whether to execute all, ringleaders or none of the prisoners. My common sense tells me to execute the ringleaders, for they might lead another revolt and their lands give me much needed funds; my idea of "how dare you revolt against me, I own more than half the known world" makes me feel I should execute them; my moral values tell me I should spare them, but I can't really afford to.

By the way, the best way to make prisoners is to rout them and then chase them with cavalry. They will fall by the dozens. In the previous wave of revolts it wasn't uncommon for me to end a battle with over 1000 prisoners.

10. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Member

via TanksinWW2

Ok, on the subject of Agincourt, I played it in medium difficulty mode and I apparently won,(but only after I lost plenty of times ;) ) so this might be of help. Create a triangle formation, using ur spearmen to gaurd the longbow men who qhould remain in the middle. Deploy youre Cavalry on the flanks. Avoid yousing your cavalry until the middle of battle as that is youre reserve force. After the enemy cavalry has charged into youre ranks, deploy youre cavalry outside the triangle and attack the enemies flank. Keep one regiment of cavalry in the center ( suggest the general) to support youre spearmen as they cant hold on for long. During the battle, the archers have to keep up a continous wave of archery fire to knock of the knights. After youve attacked the enemie on the sides, roll up his flank. The key to succes here is that timing. You should sucker the enemy in to attack youre spearmen but you should send the cavalry to attack the enemies sides before youre spearmen ranks collapse. Note that if the enemy hit youre rear, you will lose the battle, so dont make youre triangle to small. try this and tell me if it works ;) .

On the peasant warfare thing, I suggest you do not kill the ringleaders as the ringleaders will not fight you anymore but would be rather gratefull you released them. As ive previously mentioned, the question of moral here is vital, by releasing the peasants, the loyalty rate will increase curtailing further revolts. If you murder them, the morale of youre troops will be affected badly, except on the first time where you gain authority rates.

Cavalry is naturally the best means with which to capture prisoners, as theyre fast and hold a powerful punch.

11. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    I often just execute all rebels, which pushes up your 'dread' rating, and keeps everyone too scared to rebel any more.

Agincourt? Tried it once, failed miserably... ;)

12. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Member

via TanksinWW2
    Seems like im dealing with players that lust for blood ..... :p :p

13. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Seeing as I have to deal with about 15 to 20 revolts each turn, I will take any opportunity to make this stop as it tends to get annoying. I'll try your spare-all tactic one turn and see how it turns out. But if my economy is going anywhere under the -5000 a year it is now, I'll get right back to slaying them all! :angry: ;)

I actually managed to lose a battle against peasants, because it was a one-bridge map and he had spearmen. :(

14. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Member

via TanksinWW2
    -5000!!! My god!

My economy reaches the 100,000 at times :D

15. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, in the better days I amassed a treasury of over 400,000 florins (Dutch currency!). Now from this treasury I lose about 5000 yearly by insufficient income, but it has quite a long way to go! :D

16. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Member

via TanksinWW2
    HeHe, never reached that much money, but then again I play medium mode :p :p 8) :D

17. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Thanks for the hint. I released the prisoners of the last turn, about 9000 captured insurgents; in the new turn I got an unprecedented 24 revolts!! None of them have less than 1000 soldiers! :angry: :angry: :angry: I especially like the ones appearing right in my home country: one of them has three units of Halberdiers, another has four units of Feudal Sergeants. :evil:

18. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Try simply eliminating the ringleaders.
    If that is what you already do - go for the high dread rating!

Look on the bright side - you're getting plenty of practice at fighting battles! :D

19. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I get too much already! When a turn takes three hours fighting only revolts, you kind of shy away from having any kind of foreign policy whatsoever. On the bright side, however, the losses caused by continuous fighting peasants have brought my annual economy back to "only" -1200! :D Also, few of my generals have less than 3 command stars, and I have one with 8. Unit valour averages 4 to 5 in most armies... :eek:

You find out some pretty cool stuff by fighting armies hardly worth the trouble, though. Like that a unit of 20 Feudal Knights can singlehandedly and without losses wipe out two units of peasants, clearing one flank of the battlefield for tactical exploitation. :D

20. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Do you produce units with armour & weaponry upgrades?
    I always try to grab Sweden (or any other territory capable of producing the metalsmith). It is amazing what an advanced unit with full armour & arms upgrades can do!