Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Mexican punitive expedition pin?

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by KodiakBeer, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

How deep does it penetrate?
    Pa showed me how to dowse with a metal coathanger cut and shaped into 2 L's... Old linemans trick. It works, for me anyway. Can find buried copper telephone lines.

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Penetration depends on the size of the object. Small objects like coins perhaps ten inches, but big things like pipes maybe twice that. Luckily, when you get a big hit you can screen out iron and steel and ignore things like pipes or nails. Tin cans are frustrating though, because the tin or zinc is just like silver or gold. The higher end detectors can screen those out, but not my cheap one.

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

There's an English guy who has a lot of detecting videos on ytube. He did some work in a forest where he found a lot of good ww2 stuff.
    He says detecting can be frustrating...i'd just be doing it to get out of the house type thing.
    Can you detect anywhere, other than private property?...Heard rivers and lakes were fair game, up to a distance from the waterline- fair access or something.

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

You can detect anywhere, except private property. I don't know about Canada.

My biggest frustration is that when you find a place that you know is remote, but inhabited 100 or 125 years ago It's just freaking amazing how many old tin cans there are. People ate a lot of preserved foods in tin, and they didn't give a damn about littering so it's everywhere and the signal is the same as if it's a coin. I guess it's a hobby for really patient people who don't mind digging up 20 tin cans before hitting an old coin. Of course, those really expensive detectors can screen out tin and zinc, but those are a lot of money.

5. lwd

lwd Ace

Some parks and other places are off limits for digging and possibly detecting though. I think for instance I've seen "No Metal Detector" signs at some of the ACW battlefields. Private property is by permission only.