Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Modelling Poteau Man....

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Martin Bull, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Having fun just now building up a new kit from Dragon. It's No 1623 in their 1/16 scale 'Warrior' series : SS Schutz - Kampfgruppe Hansen 1944.

It's the famous MG42 gunner from the Poteau ambush ( identified by Timo on these forums as Walter Armbrust, see : -

http://www.ww2forums.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000015#000011

The kit faithfully reproduces all his kit & is good value at around £10. It's amusing to think that I stood in this guy's footsteps a couple of weeks ago.

2. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Hi martin. Looking forward to seeing it. you gonna take some pics?

What medium you painting it in?

3. Martin Bull

Er, ah.. do you mean what paint am I using ? ( You can tell I'm a rank amateur - I don't even possess an airbrush.. :( [​IMG] ) So it won't quite be up to your standards, Mahross !

Actually I think buying all the various paints cost more than the model ! I'm using a selection of Humbrol, Revell and Xtracolour paints plus one or two recent articles in 'Military In Scale' plus Steel Masters' 'Ambuscade a Poteau' edition for hints and tips. But really, there's nothing too challenging about this one - just plenty of patience needed and I shall probably sweat a little over the Waffen-SS camo smock which just peeps out from beneath the reversible winter over-smock. Plus there will be the 'shadowing' of the uniform wrinkles and then the base will need to be realistically finished with grass/mud... ( NOT snow because at that stage of the battle snow had not fallen ).

And I plan to mount somehow on the base a damaged Nazi cap eagle actually found in the Ardennes by a friend using a metal-detector.

Yes - must also get a digital camera !

4. Mahross

Mahross Ace

5. Martin Bull

Thanks for that, Mahross - I appreciate the tip !

I hadn't heard of the book and poor old Windrow & Greene went bust a while back ; but several copies are available quite cheaply on Bookfinder so I've ordered one !

6. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Good. you'll find it very helpful and quite inspirational his work is some of the best in the hobby. Enjoy it and keep us posted.