Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Motorcycle Restoration

Discussion in 'Military Vehicle Restoration' started by jagdpanther44, Mar 21, 2013.

1. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

As mentioned, things almost did go very wrong indeed...

The day before we were due to leave for Normandy we discovered a fault with our bike transport trailer. Unable to repair it in time we were then forced to try and source another one...and fast!!!

After a few frantic calls to local trailer rental companies we tracked one down that was suitable. By this time it was late in the day and the shop was about to close so there was no other option but to collect the trailer early the next morning and then set out for Portsmouth.

Gebirgsjaeger likes this.
  2. jagdpanther44

Test

PzJgr and Martin Bull like this.
  3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

All I can say is "Wow!" Nice product.

4. jagdpanther44

Thanks, Lou.

We still have a few more things to do to the bike like fit an MG mount and jerry can holder but essentially it is now finished.

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

That really does look great ! All it needs is a Spitfire MkIX or rocket-firing Typhoon in the distance ............. :dance4:

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

and John diving in the ditch while swearing some words starting with "Schwein" :dance4:

7. jagdpanther44

'Schweinehund RAF!' :D

8. jagdpanther44

Test 2

9. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Did you try to 'jump' it over some barbed wire......? :XD:

10. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

John, no ill effects from removing those frame gussets discussed earlier?

11. jagdpanther44

No chance! Bud Ekins was the master of that.

I'm only just learning how to ride no handed. :rolleyes:

No, all seemed fine with the frame but that's probably because I wasn't riding the bike over ploughed fields or bumpy dirt tracks. ;)

12. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

You mean you couldn't ride two wheels without hands? ;) It's great for freaking other road users...

13. KSH67

KSH67 New Member

Very nicely done! that bike looks great. I have a couple questions about restoring these. I want to do an R75 style restoration on mine and want to put the 16" wheels on it. Does anyone know if you have to modify the frame or fork to make them work or do they bolt right on to the CJ750? Would I need to get new wheels or could I use the standard CJ750 brakes and hubs with a 16" rim and shorter spokes? If anyone can answer this or point me to a good resource that would be great.

My name is Kevin, this is my first post here. I am into WWII German helmets mostly but do some reenacting and have recently picked up a CJ750 and sidecar. Thanks in advance for any help.

14. 4444Design

4444Design New Member

really like your sidecar - meanwhile I like the panzergrey rides ore than the tan ones - should have painted mine in grey as well

as for your ride I'd left the gussets in place - especially when runnin' with the sidecar in place the frame is getting pretty high sideforces from the sidecar-bucket - therefore I didn't remove those reinforcements

the only thing that sets my up with the Russian bikes are the cauliflower hubs which look pretty weird to me and are far from the versions which have been built from BMW

in 2013 I moved back from china to Europe and brought 4 CJ's with me - I also made it to Normandy with my repop bimmer but unfortunately didn't meet that many other sidecar owners

15. KSH67

KSH67 New Member

I've got a question for you guys with the sidecars, I haven't picked up my bike yet but I have a line on an enclosed trailer. Can one of you tell me how wide at the widest most point - I'm thinking edge of handle bar to outside hub of sidecar wheel. See pic. Sorry for hijacking the thread but thought there were a bunch of you who might no the answer.
    Thanks!
    Kevin

Attached Files:

16. jagdpanther44

Welcome to the forum, Kevin.

I would suspect it would be quite difficult to make a convincing replica of an R75 from a CJ750 as there are so many differences between the two bikes.

The frame, engine and especially the exhaust system are all very different from that of a CJ. It would probably be cheaper to buy a genuine BMW R75!

Please also post some photos of your helmet collection, I'm sure there will be much interest in them here on the forum.

17. jagdpanther44

It all depends how hard you ride the bike. I'm a pretty sedate rider and don't throw the bike in to corners so I don't think removing the gussets will present a problem for me.

I totally agree about the 'cauliflower' hubs, I hate them and I'm currently in the process of sourcing the correct shaped ones for the bike.

18. jagdpanther44

No problem, Kevin. Here are the dimensions you requested.

Width: 62 inches from the handle bar to the outer edge of the sidecar wheel(hub).
    Length: 97 inches from front wheel to the outside edge of spare wheel on top of sidecar.

KSH67 likes this.
  19. KSH67

KSH67 New Member

Thank you sir!

20. Topfmine

Topfmine New Member

Hi I have been following your thread with great interest. I have just bought a CJ750 with side car with historic tax and mot exemption which I use on the road. I wish to do the same restoration as you have done in the same colour getting it to as close as possible to a BMW R71 combination. I have to change a few things such as tank change, forks altered to accept early front mud guard. Rear light change and rear mud guard strut alteration, also fuel filter etc. I will not be shoving my electrics in the sidecar as I may want to ride the bike separately plus keeping it to original to the combination spec.The only problem that would be a pain to do is alter or hide the black box under the seat that holds the rectifier and regulator under the seat. I hope you don't mind me asking some restoration tips on your rebuild. I would like to know the rivets you have used for the name plates and tags everyone seems to use pot rivets but I am sure they used screw in or normal rivets for these originally. As I need to strip down the forks do you have any links that help do this.