Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

MP-40 Movie pics

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Erich Hartmann, May 21, 2001.

1. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Looking for any and all pics on the net or otherwise regarding any film where the MP-40 was shown. For any questions as to what this is all about, please look here: http://www.ww2n.com/films/mp40_project/

I hope you like it!

[ 21 May 2001: Message edited by: Erich Hartmann ]

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I have several film cells from Cross of Iron. I think I have one or two cells that show the German Tommygun. I have a few cells which is fron the trench fighting scenes where Leutnant Meyer gets drilled with a Russian bayonet. I think in at least 1-2 of the cells, there is a shot with Leutnant Meyer or someone, who is swinging hie MP-38/40 like a baseball bat because the magazine was emptied.

I have several cells from "A bridge Too far" also, but I cant recall if any of the cells have the MP-38/40 in it.

I would make photos of them but I already tried and the damn machine would'nt print them out.

If you know of a better way, let me know..

3. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Carl,
    Pretty much anything that can be emailed will work. All contributors will be given full credit for submittals.

Long live the MP-40!

4. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Carl, forgive my ignorance, but what is a film "cell", is it just a screencap photo, please elaborate when you get the chance.

5. Otto

BTW,

Erich how do you like your new page?

very schmeisser-ish, no?

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Erich: I have no way of sending the image by computer, or I wouls send them to you and Otto--the cells are all pretty cool. I just remembered that two or so cells are of the bunker scene in which Steiner is with Stransky and they are talking about Stranskys Iron Cross, which is the one that he was falsely trying to get and should go to Lt Meyer.

A film cell is like a photo negative, but is one frame of a film reel. You can usually take one and reproduce it onto cardstock-just like a real negative.

7. Otto

Cool, thanks for the clarification, they sound very interesting. Where would you get such an item? I mean are they unique, or are there multiple copies of cells available?

8. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Otto, I'm extremely excited about the new page and ongoing project. However, I too was wondering how Carl has cells from that film. Are they original?

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Otto: Quite welcome. I did'nt have enough time to explain better since the library was closing (sigh).

I got them as one of the first auctions I participated in on ebay--over a year ago. The people auctioning them off also had hundreds more for sell, but I lost their addresses many moons ago. I wanted to see if I could get more from those movies and others like Stalingrad--etc. I have beeb keeping an eye open for more auctions by these people, but I havent seen them list anything since I bought the Cross of Iron cells--sucks-doesnt it?

It depends on how many reel cpoies of this movie were made, so I don't know if they are really rare or not-I doubt they are rare. As long as they can make copies from master reels, I guess they can have an endless supply of them--but that aint gonna happen either.

I don't know what is available, but if you can find a good site that specializes on movie items, you should be able to get them there or they should know where you can get some at. I still want more-more-more-more....

Dear Erich: They are original. I also have some A Bridge Too Far cells.

I think if I get a chance to go to a good photography shop, I think I will ask if they can make some photos for me from these cells.

10. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Is Hartmann's MP40 project still going ?

If so, I couldn't find 'A Bridge Too Far!' Loads of MP40s, especially when the Feldwebel shoots the already-dead Americans in the crashed glider.
    And - I think I'm right on this one - the James Bond film, 'Goldfinger'. The old woman in the gatehouse of Goldfinger's swiss factory uses an MP40 to shoot up Bond's Aston Martin . . .

Sorry - I'm a sucker for this sort of trivia !

11. Otto

As far as I know Hartmann is still running the Project. I'll forward your submissions to him Martin.

12. Martin Bull

Ah ! I've found his details so will contact direct. When I get into trivia like this, there's no stopping me - it's a bit like train-spotting !! :D

13. Martin Bull

Just thought I'd *bump* this to push 'Kennys' daft posts down a bit... ;)