Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Mussolinis War Cabinet

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Mussolini, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

For discussion of the "Mussolini goes to War" AAR.

Your thoughts so far?

Here are mine:

I have decided to against the norm of what I normally do. I usually take Ethiopia, redeploy most of my East African Forces to Libya or Italy. I then wait for the Spanish Civil War Event to trigger, and then hop in and take over Spain (which requires a DOW on Nationalist Spain too) and liberate the Nationalists.

This time, however, I decided to try something different. It may bight me in the arse in Egypt, but I've decided to keep my East African Forces largely intact - in fact, I am only going to add to them. My militia forces are the backbone of my Army out there, some reinforced with Infantry Divisions, and there is 1 Mtn Division in the region. Ethiopia is mostly Hills and Mtns, so this should aid my defense. I am also defending territories with 40% Infrastructure, forcing the British to use territories with 20% or less to move around. This should greatly aid my defense, but also hinder my counter attacking abilities. More on this theatre at a later date.

As far as Spain is concerned, I attacked them a little earlier then I would have liked (before all my Infantry was upgraded) but it was not something that I needed to worry about. I was slightly concerned about their 1 Armored Division, but they deployed it to the South - which is bad terrain for an Armored Division. It posed little threat to my superior Italian Troops, and the campaign went relatively smoothly. No losses (battles) and a lot of my generals got much needed experience. I plan on moving one or two of my Generals to the new Armored Divisions (once i produce them) for combat in North Africa. They will already have experience at command, and leave behind units that have Unit Experience, but fresh Generals. This should work out in the long run for me, and give me a head-start against the British.

My Navy also saw limited combat (turkey-shooting Transports isn't so hard) though in hindsight, I might have switched my Battle Fleet 1 and Battle Fleet 2 positions, so the former got more experience, instead of the later. This experience via combat could be vital when taking on the super-powers of the game. I am also working on researching Aircraft Carriers, to be able to contend with the British.

2. Mussolini

No one interested this time around?

Anyways, last night I continued play. Mostly on Above Normal Speed to get the research going and the years ticking bye. I leave TRADES on AUTO though for some reason this time around I seem to be trading away as many supplies as it takes my army to use, which leaves very little room for upgrades and production - pain in the ass if you ask me.

So far nothing funky has really happened in the game, and France has fallen to the might of the Germans (who also forced Denmark to surrender, and took Norway). The Germans are building up on the Yugoslavian border, but have not attacked yet. The British, on the other hand, are stacking armies in Africa to go to war against me. Should be interesting.

My current conundrum happens to be this: my Commandos, ideal for attacking Gibraltar, are in Albania, poised to attack Yugoslavia to grab as much land as I can from them. They're backed up by 3 Infantry Divisions, with another 3 and 3 Tank Divisions based in Italy ready to go. Overall, the force is only capable of taking a few Yugoslavian territories without aid. When/If war vs. Yugo starts, I will not join the Axis (unless forced to) since transporting my troops over to Spain could be risky with a British presence in the region. The Nationalist Spain troops, well, no word on them. Rumored to have 15 Divisions, but who knows.

So, this waiting game could very well bite me in the ass. I have deployed 3 Tank Divisions to Egypt/Libya and have a slight edge in numerical superiority.

3. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Well first off Musso, I still play HOI 1 so when playing as Italy and try what you did with Spain, I always get a British sphere of influance threatened and a DoW put on me. That leaves me at war with the Allies in 36 with none of my own. I agree Gibralter must be taken. Do you plan on taking Gibralter yourself or letting Franco do it? Any plans for Greece when your done with Yugo? Another thing I like to do is build up my naval bomber and torpedo sqaudrons to help with the disperity against the full might of the RN.

4. Mussolini

That could be a HOI I thing - never experienced that in Armageddon. Attacking Greece, on the other hand, would put me on the Brits radar. I am currently trying to figure out what to do with Yugoslavia. I have territorial claims, and if Allied with Germany, I will get them. If i lead the attack, I can grab more then what Germany would give me. But, my Gibraltar forces are in Yugoslavia. Franco can not be counted on to take Gibraltar (last i checked, he had no troops in the area) unless I assum control (not assured) of his forces to carry that out.

Its possible (as has happened in the past) to attack Yugo and not go to war with the Allies. This would be ideal, as my troops (including new tanks) will get some Experience, I will gain some IC and resources, and its one less thing to worry about. It will also allow me to transport my Tanks to Africa, my Commandos to Spain without risking being sunk by the British.

On the other hand, if I wait and go to war and the Allies go to war with me over that, i could be screwed.

Either way, I will find out tonight and will hopefully have Chapter 2 up and ready for viewing.

5. Joe

Joe Ace

What are your long term goals? After you take Yugoslavia? Are you going to try and take Egypt or just hold on to Lybia?

6. Mussolini

The jury is still out on Yugoslavia. Will figure out when I get home. Wheres the fun in holding? I am going to do as the Italians tried to do - take Egypt. Its then a matter of the rest of Africa - what do I do with it? Pretty worthless, but opens me up to attack.

7. Joe

Joe Ace

You should try to get some holdings in Europe, maybe N. Ireland or something.

8. Mussolini

Well, lets me reasonable here! The USA will eventually join the war and I want to be on the winning (Axis) side. All depends on how the Germans do against the Russians. I can do my best by knocking up the British as best as I can.

I look at how things played out historically, but add my own little touch. Spain really didn't do anything for me apart from a small percentage of whatever it produces, whatever techs it researches (it will share them with me), and basically and end to that What If... scenario where Spain joins the Axis. Spain is my beeotch right now - whatever I do, Spain will do. It adds that extra element to things.

Like i've stated already, my goal is to recreate the Roman Empire (minus turkey). I need to do it in a way that enables to become a world power. The SUPPLIES thing really screwed me up though - since the start, i've only produced 6 Tank Divisions and a few Garrison units. France has fallen, and Germany is getting ready for Operation Barbarossa. I might not have enough troops to deal with Africa adequately.

9. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

My suggestion would be to take as much as Yugoslavia as possible before Germany invades. If Britain does DoW you then I think all you can do is try to hold out in Africa untill reinforcments can arrive. Hope Spain takes Gibralter, but if not can you transport your special forces by air to Spain after Yugo is under control? or at least when you can afford to move them to another front. If you don't get the DoW on you then you can move your forces into Africa without worry before begining your offensive into Egypt.

10. Mussolini

I considered that. For some reason, Italy starts with 1 Transport Plane (no paratroopers) so it might be possible to transport 1 Division at a time over to Spain. However, from past experience, Yugoslavia has a pretty powerful force. With only maybe 10 Divisions on two fronts with them, I wouldn't be able to get very far. (Thus my dilemma). I believe that I can DOW them when Germany (if Germany does, they have tons of troops on the border) and share the spoils, though I will give the Transport Air a shot too. If i can transport via Air, might be quicker (or safer) to get my troops to Spain that way.

11. Joe

Joe Ace

Hey, I took the British province in S. America as Germany once! Taking N. ireland won't be too difficult.

12. Mussolini

I am getting pwnd by the British in Africa! :eek:

1939 Infantry (Italians) <<<<<< 1941 Infantry (British)

Not to mention all their units are Brigaded. Apparently, 2 Militia with ATG and 1 1941-Infantry Division can hold back three Lv. III Tank Divisions - 2 of which have SP Arty. :eek: Looks like this AAR is on the way to ultimate Failure!

13. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Owch. After reading this I kinda got in a HOI mood myself. Tryed playing as Japan last night but the stupid country seems to be a Democracy and I couldn't wage war with china until Germany attacked Poland. It put me at a huge disadvantage, in terms of numbers on the boarder. May Start again using the war cheat so I can actually go to war at a historicly acurate time.

Good luck in Africa. How are your Ethiopian divisions faring in there treck north to Suez?

14. Mussolini

Not well at all. :( I have actually made it to Alexandira in Egypt, and should wipe out 8 British Divisions (half of which seem to be Militia) which will free up 13 of my own to move onto the Suez. A 'landing party', despite numerical superirority has failed to establish much of a beach head, though my Mtn. Commandos have arrived to try and save the day.

At any rate, my plan has changed (greatly). Its going to be about damage control in Ethiopia until I can upgrade to '41 Infantry (need to research it first, an oversight on my half). The Nat. Spainish Forces....well, lets just say I cried when I saw how they had deployed. All 18 divisions (half are mountain) were deployed in the top left corner of Spain. Their two Armored Divisions - one was in Mallocra (an Island) and the other isolated in Africa opposite Gibraltar. AKA Useless, and in positions hard to move them from.

I will try to salvage this game (several oversights on my behalf) but I am leaning more towards that new AAR (please vote in that thread) at this rate.