Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Navy experts needed

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by Skipper, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I picked up an interesting batch of Royal Dutch Navy bags.

I'm not sure about dates etc.. but at least one of them has a British , Canadian or U.S. marking which seems to be dated 1943. It's had to read but I believe the maker is HUGH CARSON . Any help to find mor eabout the origna of this bag would be welcome.

There are 9 bags and most have names and adresse sof Dutch sailors (I will not post these for privacy reasons as, at least two adresses are still valid today ! .

Names of the ships are MS ZUIDERZEE and the SS Waterman . The first Zuiderzee was a converted Liberty ship and so was the Waterman.

So does anybody know how to identify enlisting number dates which could tell my bags are WW2 ones used afte rthe war or used recently (the last Zuiderzee was decommissioned in 2012... ?

[​IMG]

Some or the tops were cut of by the army to prevent re-use and they are stamped "BD" ( decommissionned?)

Do these bags look U.S. or British / Commonwealth and when wer ethey used. I posted one complets one though there are two types , including one with a handle grip .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Canadian would have been my first guess too (I believe Ican read Ottawa on the stamp under Hugh Carson)