Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Nelson, North Carolina, and Russian battleships

Discussion in 'The War at Sea' started by Blaster, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Tiornu

Tiornu Member

via TanksinWW2
    They remained in Batdiv 2 during the whole of 1944 and were under Kurita's command during the time they operated in training. They were the least capable of the IJN battleships except for the Kongos, but there was never a shortage of work for the Kongos. It was the Fuso class that was nominated for a suicide attack on Saipan after the Turkey Shoot.

2. canambridge

canambridge Member

via TanksinWW2
    Please tell more, I've never heard of this bright idea by the IJN.

3. Tiornu

Tiornu Member

via TanksinWW2
    I don't know too much about it. Fuso and Yamashiro were nominated to mount an augmented AA outfit and several landing barges for a counter-landing on Saipan. Adm Toyoda recognized at as a ridiculous suggestion guaranteed to acomplish nothing but suicide for those involved. I can't help seeing it as a kind of rough draft for the final Yamato sortie. Too bad no one recognized that one as pointless suicide.
    And yet it's possible that the Fusos actually were fitted to carry landing barges at some point before the following October. They did get more AA guns--but so did most ships. They also received several new radar sets, which looks to me more like preparing the ships for frontline duty again.
    Fuso was inferior to Ise; the modernized deck protection in the latter is much more impressive. I don't know why the Ises were picked for carrier conversion when the Fusos were worth less as battleships.

4. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The IJN High Command on drugs again? ;)

Some within the IJN, Admiral Kusaka for one, did recognize YAMATO's last sortie for the prime piece of idiocy it was, but none of them were senior enough to get the really big brass to listen to them.