Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Neville Henshaw, Legion d'Honneur

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by GRW, Sep 26, 2018.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Originally from Yorkshire, Mr Henshaw lived in Rostrevor, Co. Down for more than 40 years. He passed away on September 24th at the age of 95.
    Can't find an obituary yet, so posting this from a few years ago-
    "More than seven decades after helping to liberate France, a war veteran and adopted son of Co Down will wear that nation's highest award in memory of the 6,000 Allied troops killed in the D-Day landings.
    Neville Henshaw has at last received his Legion d'Honneur from the French Government for his role in the 'Longest Day'.
    The 91-year-old was one of three former soldiers living in Northern Ireland eligible to receive the decoration for bravery...
    ...Neville hit the beach on June 6, 1944 just four days shy of his 19th birthday while serving as a wireless operator in the Royal Corps of Signals.
    Originally from Yorkshire, he has lived in Co Down for more than 40 years.
    But while Neville made it up Gold Beach safely, he vividly recalls that a comrade beside him was not so fortunate.
    "We were all scared that day," he explained.
    "The noise of everything around us was terrific, that's what I remember most.
    "I was in a group of four, but I was the only one who survived beyond the beach.
    "Two men were wounded and another was shot and dropped down beside me.
    "I had thought at first he was just injured.
    "But it turned out that he had been shot dead - and you don't forget things like that."
    Neville and his unit fought their way through France and into Belgium.
    They were in Germany when the war in Europe was finally declared over on VE Day, May 8, 1945."
    www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/71-years-on-france-bestows-highest-honour-on-our-dday-hero-neville-henshaw-31591906.html