Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Normandy: Then and Now Photos

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by jagdpanther44, Jun 4, 2011.

1. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Yeah well I have got Za Rodinu to thank for starting me down this road. The wife just browbeat me into offering colorization services on her internet site; http://www.ebay.com/itm/World-War-I...49104?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item4170cb5950 I hope it's not just a big pain in the neck! "Sounds like a surefire way of wrecking a perfectly fun hobby!" I was telling her....but we will see.
    JeffinMNUSA

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Sure, blame Za when he's not around to defend himself. :D

Hope you site (your wife's site) is successful, but I would hate to see you work too hard.

3. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

So long as it stays FUN I will play ball-heck, might even get to handle some really amazing shots! If it gets to be drudgery and haggling with nasty scammer types, then the ad gets pulled and fast. Where did Za go? I still see his colorization work on the net here and there. A true pioneer that guy! Flickr: Za Rodinu's Photostream

Attached Files:

4. hts

hts recruit

Does anyone know which dividsion beat 352 germany infantary division ?
    Sorry for my english, but, i am working on it..

5. BIW

BIW recruit

Great pics!

I have a question. On post #26 there is a plaque commemorating 6 soldiers who died on that spot. It is dated June 16, 1944. I was surprised to see that soldiers were still getting shot and killed in Normandy D-Day +10.

Was that common? For about how long were there snipers in a town in Normandy after it was secured?

Thanks

6. Owen

Owen O

I think the official end date of the Normandy Campaign is August 25th 1944.
    There was another 2 months of killing .

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

This question startled me.

From Wikipedia:
    In the US sector alone, from the beaches to St Lo is a bit more than 25 miles of hedgerow county, where a nearly three-month long slogging, bloody campaign was conducted through some of the easiest to defended non-mountainous country-side in Europe.

I wrote a book about friend who fought with the recon troop of the US 30th Division. During the entire war they endured about 50% casualties out a group of around 155 men. Of that 70-80 men, about half of those were lost in the Normandy Campaign, which comprised roughly 30% of the total time they spent in combat. I'd have to go back and count again, but I fairly certain that they lost more men there than in the Ardennes and certainly more than they did in breaching the Westwall and reducing Aachen.

Normandy was bloody, three month mess for the poor souls who were there.

8. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

All of which demonstrates the surprising misconception which exists that Normandy was 'all about the beaches' followed by a quick dash across France.....

9. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Damn, Za ! I had good intentions of working today, trying to get things out before Christmas, when I clicked on his Flickr photos, a fine way to spend literally hours. Great Photos. I was very moved by all the young Russian women snipers.

Otto, can I bill Za for the time spent looking at his photos ?

Seriously, they are greatly appreciated,

Gaines

10. BIW

BIW recruit

Yes, it's strange because I am a very map-oriented person meaning the first thing I do when hearing of a new place is to look at a map of it. I had looked at a map of Normandy before but never appreciated the vast size until now. In fact, I have read some books about the invasion but as I look back I remember my takeaway from them have been mostly the beaches and towns and only the hedgerows we needed to cross to get to the next village. I assumed the Axis had focused almost all their men either in the towns or on the streets and hedgerows connecting each town. The depth and size of the region was not highlighted in my image of what needed to be won and controlled.

My question focused more on the smaller towns actually, as I thought they were mostly controlled in a manner of a week or so. Thanks for the info and insight- I appreciate it.

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Gaines, this is an old thread and I'm afraid Za hasn't been around for several years now. You'll have to send your bill to the Versailles treaty war compensation fund, but if that may frustrate Germany. :dance4:

12. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Skipper, sorry to hear Za is MIA, when I saw your post I realized he had not been here in a while. I really enjoyed those photos and looked at them carefully. I feel very fortunate to have gotten to Normandy, yes it is pretty big, Brittany, Le Pays de la Loire, ostensibly to study architecture but always found time for WW2. Thought I took a train from Calais to Paris in 1960 I did not get into Normandy and surrounds until twenty years later. It was still rather sedate compared to the area now, traffic, people , etc. !!!

There is a comic aspect to visiting Europe as a middle class American. In 1960 prices there were ridiculously low but I was dirt poor, each new trip found me better off but prices rose faster than my income. Still it was always worth every cent or sou to visit Normandy, hallowed ground that..

Gaines

PS, do you have an address for the Versaille Fund ? :)