Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Operation Airthief"

Discussion in 'Air Warfare' started by Skua, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I though this story, quoted from International Air Power Review Volume 3, would interest some of you :

2. PMN1

PMN1 recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Pickney

The whole episode is described in Geoffrey Quill's book 'Spitfire - a test pilots story'. from what I remember of the book, Pickney was quite pissed off with the German pilot for spoiling his fun.

3. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    I came across a similar story in a book about the Swordfish torpedo bomber. Two Bf109's of the most recent type landed on a British airfield. The teller of the story wasn't sure whether they got lost or were defecting but either way ground crews jumped on them before they could change their minds. A short time later a Swordfish landed at the same airfield. The first thing they saw was a pair of parked 109's and they immediately had a bit of an Oh Sh*t moment. They managed to turn the plane around and were all set to take off again before a ground crew managed to run out to stop them.

4. PMN1

PMN1 recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Landing on enemy territory

A Whitley of 77 Sqadron landed in Germany by accident in 1940 thinking it was France or Luxembourg but they got away in time, i'll dig the story out

5. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think we can make this a "wrong airfield" topic by now... Any takers?

6. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What about how the British got their hands on the SN-2 radar and FuG 227 Flensburg homing device ?

The Ju 88G-1 of Obergefreiter Mäckle ( 7. Staffel, Nachtjagdgeschwader 2 ) suffered a compass failure on the night of 12/13 July 1944 and became lost. They finally found a radio beacon which seemed to come from the right direction and decided to follow this. And landed their aircraft at RAF Woodbridge in Suffolk. I don´t think the British even knew that the Germans had the FuG 227, a device which could home in on the Monica tail warning radars fitted to British bombers.