Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Operation Longcloth - Arthur Boardman

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by garygaryd, Apr 17, 2020.

1. garygaryd

garygaryd New Member

Hi, my name is Gary and i am new to this site. I am trying to piece together some information on my wife's grandfather, I have tried ancestry and all other sites I know but cannot find any service records or history. I was hoping that someone may be able to point me in the right direction?

His name is Arthur Boardman 12.12.1916, in 1939 his address was 28, Oak Road, Cheshire he was married in 1941 to Patricia Joan Warburton. His father was David Henry Boardman.

The information we have was that he was involved in Opeartion Longcloth, believed his rank was private, it is believed (however I'am sceptical) that his Reg number was 3865810 (my research would indicate that this was an Arthur Boardman however he was a commando) I may be wrong?

Then I have been given Regiment as Kings 15 or 17? again this may be a red herring.

Sorry for the scant information, but would appreciate any help whatsoever that I believe this fantastic site can give me.

Thanks in eager anticipation

Gary

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Have you tried the MoD? You seem to have the requisite information. There is a thread that can direct you, but I'm on my phone and can't access it easily.

3. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Member

Lou is correct - the UK MOD are the only ones that hold data and records on WW2 British soldiers - the web link you need for the forms is here Request records of deceased service personnel, unless his wife is still alive it will cost you £30 and you need to provide a copy of his death certificate, unless he died in service when the document associated with his CWGC data will cover instead.

TD

I would also strongly suggest you make contact with this web site Chindit Chasing, Operation Longcloth 1943 as I know he will be able to help you

If you search for the name Boardman on that site it gives a number of results - Search Results these may or may not be your relation, his service records will verify that

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    LRusso216 likes this.
  4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

A big help. Thanks for illuminating information.

Tricky Dicky likes this.
  5. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

Dear Gary:

Just to second what was said earlier about the Chindit Chasing website, it is excellent and the owner of the site has contact info on the home page if you are seeking information about a relative. There was indeed a Private Boardman on LONGCLOTH. He belonged to 13th King's, and was in fact a member of the small party which swam back across the Chindwin with Wingate while returning from the operation late in April 1943. There are several references to him on the site. See this link: Wingate's Journey Home

Tricky Dicky likes this.
  6. garygaryd

garygaryd New Member

Thank You very much for this information. I will make contact. Gary