Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Oregon Goes Mad Over Petrol Pump Change

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by GRW, Jan 2, 2018.

1. toki2

toki2 Active Member

Supermarkets here have unmanned fuel stations. Fill up and pay by cash or card.
    Lesson learnt. When hiring a car find how to open the goddam fuel cap as it will save you from the fury of the drivers behind you while frantically looking for a lever or button to release the lock on the floor of the vehicle with your ass in the air. And yes, I did hear 'It's a woman'.
    Now I bet that if I was wearing a short skirt and had a sexy wiggle, guys would be falling over themselves to open the cap

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Boss Lady had the same problem once and called me for help. I told her to Google "Where is the fuel cap release for ..."

3. toki2

toki2 Active Member

This was in medieval pre smartphone days and the only source of information was a brick-sized manual.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I've been married nearly 50 years and I don't think my wife has ever been in a gas station, let alone pumped her own gas. It's my job (?) to fill up the cars. I'm not quite sure why. I think my wife would rather stay home than visit a gas station, even a full service one.

5. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Funny how much of culture & the economic methodology spreads it's way up across the border. Back in the 80's I worked as a gas pump jockey in Vaughan, Ontario, Canada. There were a lot of self serve pumps, but a lot of people went out of their way to come to our full service station. Coveralls were worn, all windows got cleaned, oil was checked, cigarettes were delivered, tips were good. As far as I can remember, Ontarian always had the option to pump their own gas, a good number of stations were hybrid, offering the full serve option, and a few other pumps open for self serve. The fulls serve option being used more often in the dead winter, when getting out of your vehicle is much less fun.

6. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

We've been through Oregon many times, last September matter of fact, and I always forget about this when pulling up to the pumps. They'd come trotting over saying " I'LL GET THAT " in no uncertain terms. It also seems to depend on the station for the amount of 'service' rendered. Usually one guy walks around with a WiFi connected credit card reader and/or change if you're paying cash ( I know archaic, but I still carry paper money). Two or three others are there to actually take care of the fueling. They'll ask if you want the windshield (windscreen for our British friends) cleaned. Which IS nice since I've usually been driving for several hours though swarms of various mountain or desert type insects, Oregon has both believe it or not. After headbutting a gazillion flies, mosquitos, gnats or mayflies depending on the time of year, yeah the window could use a scrubbing. I don't recall ever being asked about checking the oil or other things like tire pressure, washer fluid etc.