Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

PAK 40's intro

Discussion in 'Artillery' started by JBark, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

2. JBark

JBark Member

Yes, but you seem to ignore the caution at the top of the page.

[DISCLAIMER: The following text is taken from the U.S. War Department publication Tactical and Technical Trends. As with all wartime intelligence information, data may be incomplete or inaccurate. No attempt has been made to update or correct the text. Any views or opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of the website.]

And this:

The following U.S. intelligence report describes the development of German tank and antitank guns up to 1943. The report is based on British sources and originally appeared in Tactical and Technical Trends, No. 26, June 3, 1943.

The paper also was written based on information obtained from the British, thus it could easily not include a use of the PAK 40 on the Russian front in 1941.

3. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Very true - however another 'British Source' that was mentioned in one of the earlier posts as causing a lot of the confusion was the one that stated the earlier intro dates. I guess it could be the Brits just didn't know what was happening - The Brits were talking a lot to the Russians regarding lend lease from very early on, so something like the intro of the PaK 40 would probably have been mentioned as it would justify the increasing demands of the Russians for tanks.

have you come across anything else new recently, nobody seems to be coming forward with facts?

:(

4. JBark

JBark Member

I have found a couple of sources but I would have to buy them. Not a terrible idea as they are not overpriced, but not high on my priority list right now. I glanced at a book in a local bookstore that sells a ton of Schiffer Publications books (since Schiffer is just a few miles away) but they did not refer to the AT guns by the nomenclature PAK 40, PAK 41, etc. I had my four year old to tend to so I could not figure it all out in the time I had. The price of that book was outside my budget...I hardly pay full retail price any more.

5. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

I'll give it some more time over the weekend I hope :)