Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

PFC Calvin T Lewis (ASN-35736737) 1st Cavalry Div., 7th Cav. Regt. Comp.B KIA Antipolo March 9, 1945

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by CAW1, Apr 2, 2017.

1. CAW1

CAW1 Member

PFC Lewis, B.A.R. man extraordinaire. Katey bar the door.
    He took out a complete Japanese bunker with his "little friend".

BAR.png

Valor DSC citation synopsis:
    *Synopsis:
    The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross (Posthumously) to Calvin T. Lewis (35736737), Private First Class, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy while serving with Company B, 7th Cavalry Regiment, in action against enemy forces on 9 March 1945, at Luzon, Philippine Islands. Private First Class Lewis' intrepid actions, personal bravery and zealous devotion to duty at the cost of his life, exemplify the highest traditions of the military forces of the United States and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

Headquarters, U.S. Forces-Pacific, General Orders No. 43 (1945)

Personal Note: He was killed the day before PFC Jeston C. Whittington(ASN: 34596505), United States Army, 1st Cavalry Division, 82nd FAB Batt.A

PFC Calvin T Lewis' General Order for his DSC was no.43 from 1st Cavalry Division command HQ. PFC Jeston C. Whittington's General Order for his SS was no.53 from the same command ordered set.

A cavalry regiment and cavalry artillery battalion working in concert against a fleeing, retreating and desperate enemy.
    Both were under the commands of
    Major General Verne D. Mudge, US Army, Sep. 5, 1898 - Jan. 29, 1957 and Brig. Gen. William C. Chase, United States Army, 1st Cavalry Division. March 9,1895-August 21, 1986.

NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records)

Account of PFC Lewis' actions that warranted his DSC

1st Cavalry Division - World War II

The Naming of Lewis Field
    1st Cavalry Division - World War II

PFC Calvin Terry Lewis (1922 - 1945) - Find A Grave Memorial

PFCstripe.jpg PH.jpg medals_dist_svc_cross_army_100x200.jpg ACM.png APMedal.jpg VictoryMedalww2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Otto likes this.
  2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm liking these contributions CAW1. Keep them coming.

CAW1 likes this.
  3. CAW1

CAW1 Member

Thanks Otto buddy, I'm just having fun. It's cool as hell for me just to wonder through this stuff. There's a lot of living people that could have the same experience. 638 silver stars / 2500 ph/ 2500 bs .........The history and personal connections are out there if you dig them up. You couldn't do this, this easy 25 years ago. I actually talked to Lewis' kin online a while back. It was cool. Lewis and Whittington could have brushed elbows in combat. :) cool stuff and personal.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Otto likes this.
  4. CAW1

CAW1 Member

Calvin Lewis was in a special slot, I think there were, for the 1st Cav, 2 MOH and like 23 DSC, then is jumps to 638 for SS. It's harder to make a connection to PFC Lewis than PFC Whittington. I got lucky on that.