Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson, Oct 27, 1915 - Jan 30, 1945

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by TD-Tommy776, Oct 23, 2011.

1. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

This is a post that is long overdue.

Glenn_Cross.jpg

PFC Glenn William Halvorson was killed in action on Luzon, the Philippine Islands on January 30, 1945.

Born in Hoffman, Minnesota on October 27th, 1915, Glenn was the son of Thomas and Betsey Halvorson. He was a 1933 graduate of Hoffman High School. While attending school, he learned the printing trade at the local newspaper. After graduation, he worked for local newspapers in Center, Colorado, Little Falls, Minnesota and American Falls, Idaho. In early 1939, Glenn attended Dunwoody Institute in Minneapolis, Minnesota where he completed a course of study in linotype operation. After successfully finishing his studies at Dunwoody, he worked for a time for The Record in Excelsior, Minnesota. Glenn then moved to Hopkins, Minnesota were he was employed at the Hennepin County Review until his induction into the Army on February 23, 1942.

Glenn received his basic training at Camp Forest, Tennessee. He was assigned to the 129th Infantry Regiment of the 33rd Infantry Division. The 129th was later detached and attached to the 37th Infantry Division. On November 13, 1943, Glenn and the 129th arrived on Bougainville Island in the Solomon Islands of the Southwest Pacific. While on Bougainville, the 129th helped to repel several Japanese attacks. Due to his actions in combat on Bougainville, Glenn was awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge. (Note: I have not yet received any of his records and so am relying on local newspaper articles from that period which mention his CIB award.)

On January 9, 1945, the 129th, as part of the 37th ID and along with other divisions, participated in the invasion of the Philippine island of Luzon at Lingayen Gulf. On January 26, 1945, Glenn and the 129th participated in the assault to capture Clark Field and subsequently Fort Stotsenberg. By January 30th, the 129th had achieved their objectives at Clark Field and had entered Fort Stotsenberg. It was during the fighting in Fort Stotsenberg that Glenn gave the ultimate sacrifice for his fellow soldiers, his family, and his country. The circumstances were related to his mother in a letter from Capt. Harvey W. Mattingly of "E" Company, 129th Infantry Regiment:

Glenn_Mem_Pic.jpg

Glenn's remains were returned to Minnesota in 1948 and he was reburied in the family plot at Bethel Cemetery near Hoffman, Minnesota. Glenn was preceded in death by his father; two half-sisters and one half-brother. He was survived by his mother; his brother, PFC Norman Halvorson; two half-sisters and one half-brother.

His brother, Norman, served with the 776th Tank Destroyer Battalion in North Africa, Italy and Central Europe. Norman survived the war. When he passed away in 1998, Norman was buried alongside his brother.

Brothers_Halvorson.jpg

Be at peace, soldiers. We thank you for all you sacrificed.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    rkline56, arwalcker, syscom3 and 4 others like this.
  2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

:poppy:

Rest in Peace

3. Clementine

Clementine Member

No matter how many times I hear about the bravery of such men, each story still tears at my heart even as it makes me proud.

That some people knowingly lay down their lives for their buddies and for strangers and for generations to come, is overwhelming and humbling.

arwalcker likes this.
  4. TD-Tommy776

Thanks, Biak & Clem for your kind remarks. One of the things that I failed to mention (I thought I was getting too wordy) is that Glenn was taking correspondence courses in journalism through the University of Minnesota even while he was serving overseas. He planned to attend the University after he came home from the war. In December of 1944, about a month before he was killed, he wrote home stating that he had received "A" and "B" grades in the course work he had completed.

It amazes me that, despite all he had been through, he still had hope for the future. Perhaps that is something we can all take from the way Glenn lived his life. No matter how dark the clouds, or how loud the thunder or how stinging the rain, there will be a rainbow on the other side. That is the promise and the hope given to us.

DT1991, REH and Spitfire_XIV like this.
  5. Biak

"No matter how dark the clouds, or how loud the thunder or how stinging the rain, there will be a rainbow on the other side. That is the promise and the hope given to us."

You just got some reputation points for that * ! Well said and my hats off to you and your Family!

*Soon as I get some more to spread around :)

REH likes this.
  6. Clementine

Clementine Member

That adds an additional element of sadness, if that makes sense, when you read about their plans for their future. It is the death of the man he was, someone's loved one, and it is the death of all he might have been. That was a bit of what I wanted to convey, but didn't do very well, in my previous post. I had such a sense of loss reading that, I think because of the captain's description of his selfless sacrifice, I felt the loss of his life and his future.

Thank you for sharing his story. It is a story worth knowing.

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm glad you posted.

Is he still in Luzon?

8. Spitfire_XIV

Spitfire_XIV Member

Thank you for this very interesting article TD :)

9. TD-Tommy776

No, Glenn's remains were returned in 1948 and buried near his father and two half-sisters, one being my Grandmother.

10. TD-Tommy776

I agree with you, Clementine, and I think you communicated very well in your previous post. It is very sad to think of what he could have done with the rest of his life. No doubt with his positive outlook and his love for printing and journalism, he would have been very successful in whatever he did. Ironically, as you have pointed out, that is what makes his story so sad.

11. TD-Tommy776

It was 67 years ago that PFC Glenn W. Halvorson fell on the field of battle.

Be at peace, Glenn, and thank you for your sacrifice.

12. Clementine

Clementine Member

A salute to PFC Halvorson.

13. TD-Tommy776

My mother got some photos from one of her cousins and included was the following photo of my great uncle Glenn some time in the late 1930s.

GlenHalverson.jpg

I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate my 1000th post than to post a picture of the man who is the reason I originally found and joined the best Forum on the internet.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Biak likes this.
  14. Biak

Congrats on reaching One Thousand, being promoted to Trustee, and posting a great picture!
    Well two out of three ain't bad.
    Great picture and many good posts!

:)

15. TD-Tommy776

Thanks, Biak. It's nice to know I can count on you keep me humble. ;)

16. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

That's a heck of a story, sir. Thank you for sharing it.

17. TD-Tommy776

Thank you for the kind words. Actually, I have some more bits & pieces to add as soon as I get my act together. ;)

18. Biak

Have you found out any more on the FF aspect?

19. TD-Tommy776

Not yet. Work has picked up a bit, so time has been limited lately. I will probably start a new thread for that discussion when the time comes.

20. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Work? What is this work thing? Get to it, man