Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Please Say Thank-You

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by MuseumWorker, Dec 21, 2007.

1. James Cox

James Cox Member

THis is great.

2. allezvous

allezvous recruit

what are the borders line for vichy?

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

google with "ligne de démarcation" and you"ll get your answer.

4. tikalbl

tikalbl recruit

I do try and say thank you to those that I see. At the post office the other day this WWII vet and I were kinda standing at the door insisting that the other go first lol. I think he should've gone :) but I guess ladies first still works for him.
    I also wanted to say thanks to all of you on here, for bringing me more information about the war, but especially to all of those who are/were members of the armed forces.
    Really. Thank you so much.
    <3

5. gunny sgt.

gunny sgt. Member

thats great man. i havent been on for months but that was something good to come back to

6. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Just copied the link and sending it to everyone in my address book now!

I had just posted the following to another thread and wanted to add it here;

There are those who we'll never know and those who we'll never forget. We should do our best to Honor them all. I see this forum site as a way for us to do that. I read the stories, look at the pictures, study the maps and ponder what happened, less to relive History but to remember those who lived it. That is what brought me to the site and that is what will keep me coming back.

7. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

Love this ;) MW, thank you for posting.

all the best,

Jem

8. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Blundered into waaf vet of bob days from tangmere..a female ops plotter..friend of the famous edith heap and member of womens management board of british legion..she even made me a cup of tea last week..proud to shake her hand..and as she said..different days..different people.

9. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

Such a pity we did not have this kind of media/personal support from 1965-1975.

Here in Australia, we have a similar kind of reaction to our Canadian friends when serviceman make the ultimate sacrifice. During Vietnam, returning servicemen were flown home at all hours of the early morning to avoid an possible 'ramifications'.

Soldiers do not make national policy decisions that send them off to the four corners of the globe.....they just go.

This gets a thumbs up from me, too.

10. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Hear, hear. :cool:

11. harakiri87

harakiri87 Member

im here... and im here to say thank you to all soldiers who fight for the world

12. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

I am trying to instill the importance of thanking our vets into each of my three children. As I've posted on this site before, I have been humbled greatly to be involved with a magnificent cause to help wounded veterans (BLUMS LANDING-A PLACE FOR THOSE WHO DEFEND OUR FREEDOM) and have lost a personal friend in Afghanistan. I ordered memorial dogtags of both SFC Matt Blaskowski (KIA Afghanistan 2007-173rd Airborne) and SGT Trevor Blumberg (KIA Iraq 2003-82nd Airborne) for each of them as a simple reminder of what we owe our freedom to. There is nothing that touches your heart quite as much as child thanking a veteran with his little handshake and tiny voice...and that man having to walk off to wipe his eyes after saying thank you.

13. behindthelines

behindthelines Member

I am a 32 Year old who was not arround when world war 2 was being fought however I wish to say thank you to all the Vets who helped making the world it is today.I will honour you by remembering you and your sacrifices and never forgetting what you did for us.
    thanks. :salute:

14. Biak

Want to have some fun? Next time you're at the gas/petrol station and see a Service member in uniform, slip the cashier a ten or whatever you can, tell them to apply it to the soldiers fuel cost. If you don't get away fast enough and they point you out, snap a salute, smile and yell Thank You, You're Appreciated. Cashiers tend to be honest when it comes to our soldiers and it sounds kinda' corny but the soldiers do appreciate it.

15. Park82

Park82 Member

Hi,

Just wanted to mention something I thought might interest some of you.. here at the RAF Benevolent Fund we’ve just produced a special online tribute book together with website friendsandrelations.com as a tribute to all the pilots who flew in the Battle of Britain.

By visiting www.battleofbritainbook.com you can create a dedicated page for any of The Few, whether living or passed on. There you can post pictures, anecdotes, facts and memories - contributing to what we hope will be an invaluable public record of the young men who fought to defend the UK in its most vital hour.

16. Park82

Park82 Member

Thanks so much all those who have visited our Battle of Britain Book to post memories and tributes about members of The Few. If you’re interested please do join in and post! Visit the book at www.battleofbritainbook.com

17. Biak

Thought this one was worthy of a 'bump' for all the newbie's who have joined lately.

18. BoatMan

BoatMan Member

Wow! Kudos to the one who made this! I shared it on my Facebook page. I hope everyone does the same. They also have a fan page so everyone please click on the Facebook icon and like the page.

19. surfersami

surfersami Member

Travelling through Georgia in uniform once in 1985, I went into a diner in a small town to get lunch. I had finished lunch and ordered a piece of pie with some ice cream on the side and ask for my check. At that point my waitress told me every single person in that diner had secretly asked to pay for my lunch, and one man came and handed me a $20 bill and said "Fill up your tank before you leave town".
    The waitress said I probably couldn't spend a dime in that town. What it did was humble me, and encouraged me to keep my head high and to remember those who wore the Navy uniform before me who gave their lives for our country. Yes! The little "corny" things you do will honor those who serve, and who have served. You can not do to much!
    The other thing was when little kids would salute me, for them I would come to attention and address them with a sharp salute that would make an admiral proud. The kids always got to my heart.

bigeyd, Hummel, Biak and 1 other person like this.
  20. Biak

Ya just made ME smile again! Thanks!