Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Poles at WW2

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Falcon, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Wojtix

Wojtix Member

"Hofman, Józef, (1876-1957), pianist, inventor of windscreen wipers and car springs"
    (Wikipedia)

"Hofmann liked to boast that he made more money out of his inventions, such as the windshield wiper, than he did out of his piano playing. Musically, though, his most important invention was the Touch Recorder. All the same, it has to be remembered that the Duo-Art editors could not rely exclusively on the Touch Recorder. It was only one of several elements that contributed to the (second stage of) roll editing - a very useful, indeed vital, check that the reproduction performance emerging from the roll of perforated paper truly corresponded with the combined dynamic notations made in the studio. (For further information see A Technical Outline of the Reproducing Piano.)

Stage three was the checking of the result by the recording pianist. In the case of Hofmann, he was his own editor, and very content to verify stages two and three on his own. Percy Grainger too was insistent on being involved right through to production of the final result."
    (Grand Piano - Gerald Stonehill)
    http://www.wyastone.co.uk/nrl/gp_news.html

[ 05. February 2004, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Wojtix ]

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Martin,
    You're right-Mary Anderson invented the windscreen wiper.
    That Wikipedia entry conveniently forgets to give any proof that Hofman beat her to it.
    It also mentions that he invented the rubber windscreen wiper-obviously an improvement on Mary Anderson's original invention.
    This "thread" is just getting plain silly.......

Regards,
    Gordon

[ 05. February 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: The_Historian ]

3. Wojtix

Wojtix Member

The top 10 pianists of the 20th century

Josef Hofmann
    (Jan 20, 1876 - Feb 16, 1957)

He was a phenomenal child prodigy. He began giving public concerts at age six. At ten, he was concertizing so heavily that the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children had to intervene. His teachers included Moritz Moszkowski (1854-1925) and, starting from age 16, Anton Rubinstein (1830-1894), one of the most revered pianists of the 19th century. He was history's first recorded musician, making a number of recordings for Thomas Edison as early as March 1888. Legend has it that the 12-year-old Hofmann made these recordings while sitting on Edison's lap, but according to an article in the IPQ magazine, recent research has shown that this wasn't true. Though started off earlier than anyone else, he made only a small number of commercial recordings, although there are quite a few broadcast ones. Most of his recordings have been issued by VAI Audio and Marston in their "Complete Hofmann" Edition, with Volumes 1 to 4 on VAI and 5 and 6 on Marston (Click here to see a list of his recordings that I own, which is an almost complete Hofmann discography). Vol.7 will be issued shortly. Hofmann, in addition to his musical talents, also had a lot of scientific creativity and contributed much to the early development of the phonograph. He also patented the wind shield wiper. So, next time it rains and you see the wiper in action, remember Josef Hofmann." [...]

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/8618/pianists.html

[ 05. February 2004, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Wojtix ]

4. GRW

Wojtix,
    According to the Guinness Book of Records, MARY ANDERSON invented the windscreen wiper in 1903.
    I don't care how many websites you THINK you've found which prove otherwise, you seem to be the only one convinced by them.
    Further, Canadian Al Gross invented the Walkie-Talkie in 1938. In 1948, he was credited with inventing Citizen's Band Radio.
    Another Canadian, Donald L. Hings, invented another type of walkie-talkie in 1942.
    http://inventors.about.com/

Regards,
    Gordon

[ 05. February 2004, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: The_Historian ]

5. Wojtix

Wojtix Member

And i dont care about Guiness Book of Records.. Websites are the only way to give you informations, so what the problem... Or should i send you books? [​IMG]

If you dont want websites so buy a book about Josef Hofman [​IMG]

And thats, what i found:

"Josef HOFMANN
    A child prodigy, Hofmann (1876-1957) toured at a young age and was later placed under the tutelage of Anton Rubinstein. Hofmann's polymath abilities led him to compose, invent patented parts for the automobile and design mechanisms for the piano. He enjoyed an international career, was one of the first pianists to record, and prepared many prominent pianists for their careers while serving as director of the Curtis Institute of Music."

"Rubinstein's charge that Hofmann was more interested in inventions than music seems to be confirmed by the accounts of Hofmann's friends Josef and Rosina Lhevinne. Incidentally, the next time you use windshield wipers, remember that Hofmann created them! A significant amount of Hofmann's records often contain the same pieces, notably the Chopin Waltz Op. 42 in A-Flat Major (a scientific "control," if you will). This can be explained by the artist's interest in the recording process itself and how it could be improved upon (Hofmann was the very first musician ever recorded by Thomas Edison). Also, Hofmann made improvements to piano action mechanism, possibly motivating Vladimir Horowitz to learn more about piano mechanics by impressing the younger Russian with his tweaking."

http://inventors.about.com/sitesearch.htm?terms=Josef%20Hofmann%20&SUName=inventors&TopNode=3441&type=1

[ 05. February 2004, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Wojtix ]

6. GRW

Wojtix,
    So the Guinness Book of Records is wrong, and you're right?!
    Have a little think about how breathtakingly arrogant-and SILLY that sounds!
    You have yet to post a link to a website that wasn't written by someone desperate to prove a point-yourself included.
    Tell me-exactly WHEN did Hofman allegedly "invent" windscreen wipers? EVERY link you've posted so far conveniently skips over providing actual proof! :D

Regards,
    Gordon

[ 05. February 2004, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: The_Historian ]

7. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

8. Wojtix

Wojtix Member

I have found something in Polish Encyclopedia 2003 - but no informations when he exactly invent windscreen wipers.

Here is the internet version:
    http://wiem.onet.pl/wiem/002bcc.html

There is written that Josef invented and patent 70 invention (including windscreen wipers and car springs).

He lived at this time in the USA, so ask the american patent department for more informations [​IMG]

Martin, a great inovation i would buy it for my dog ;)

[ 05. February 2004, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Wojtix ]

9. Wojtix

Wojtix Member

I would not give you informations that you allready know, for what? [​IMG]

You never belive in something that you never heared before?

Example:
    Who have start at first to brew beer? I heared five different versions:

1.Germans
    2.Slavians
    2.Egyptians
    4.Chinese
    5.Indians

10. GRW

Woj,

I don't think some proof's too much to ask for!
    So far, I've been in TEN different search engines, and not one of them said anything about Hofman "inventing" windscreen wipers.
    Even the ones you quoted can't actually say when he's supposed to have done this-so no, I DON'T believe it.

Regards,
    Gordon

11. Wojtix

Wojtix Member

Do you think all this different sources tell stupidity?

If you search in an engine, you must "change his name".

Jozef Hofman (orginal name)
    Jozef Hofmann
    Josep Hofman
    Josep Hofmann
    Joseph Hofman
    Joseph Hofmann
    and add "polish" or "pianist"

The best way to find out when he inveting windscreen wipers is to read his biography.

Meaby he inveting winscreen wipers that we use today. I dont know. But the fact is he had a patent and make more money with it as with playing piano [​IMG]

12. No.9

No.9 Ace

Famous pianists eh? So why have you missed Johan Amadeus Majeski? :confused:

No.9

13. Martin Bull

...and Winifred Attwell.....?

14. GRW

Woj,
    And you obviously think I'm too thick to have even THOUGHT of changing the spelling, eh? :rolleyes:
    Hofman did NOT invent the windscreen wiper! All the sources you mention credit him with refining Mary Anderson's invention-it's not the same thing by a long chalk.
    Like I said, this thread is just plain silly now. Next we'll be told Neil Armstrong was Polish, too........

Regards,.
    Gordon

[ 06. February 2004, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: The_Historian ]

15. Martin Bull

Now, funny you should say that, Gordon, but I believe that Armstrong's Great-Aunt Agnieszka was born in the tiny village of...... [​IMG]

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

anyone have the losses of the Polish units at Cassino ?

thank you

~E

17. No.9

No.9 Ace

So, the Trojans waited at the gates for weeks,
    when a wooden horse into the city was sneaked,
    who let them in - it wasn't the Greeks?

No.9

18. GRW

Martin,

Don't YOU bleedin' start now....... :rolleyes: [​IMG]

Regards,
    Gordon

19. Wojtix

Wojtix Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Polish losses
    KIA: 860-924 (72 Officers)
    WIA: 2822-2930 (204 Officers)
    MIA: 97-345 (5 Officers)

[​IMG]

[ 06. February 2004, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Wojtix ]

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Wojtix thank you very much ! Are the two ruin fotos, pics of the Monastery after capture ?

~Erich~