Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

PPSh-41, Thompson M1A1, or MP-40?

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by 3ball44, Jul 9, 2007.

1. ScreamingEagleMG42

ScreamingEagleMG42 Member

I can't find of any pictures of U.S. servicemen using a drum mag in their Thompsons, although i'm sure some exist. I guess I was always under the impression that not only did the drum mag add a lot of extra weight but also complicated the reloading process. I feel like the feeding process of the weapon would also be less reliable with a drum mag.

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

By the time of the M1A1 Thompson, there were no "drums". The older M1928A1 models could use a drum, and some were still out there, but the M1A1 was stick mag. only. Those drums were a pain in the butt to load (50 or 100 round), heavy, as you mentioned, noisy (they rattled when you walked), and not always reliable in the feeding process. Those "flaws" were the driving reasons for the 30 round sticks being developed (up from 20), they were also less expensive to produce, easier to reload, and two or three 30 round clips gives a guy a whole bunch of firepower!

An M1A1 could be produced in about half the time of a M1928A1, and at a much lower cost. In 1939 Thompsons cost the government $209 apiece. By the spring of 1942 cost reduction design changes had brought this down to $70. Two years later, in February of 1944 the M1A1 reached an all time low price of $45 each delivered, including accessories and spare parts.

3. Cutlass7

Cutlass7 recruit

I have not fired the PPSh, but I have fired 100 rounds though the other two. Both the Thompson and MP-40 felt nice to shoulder..didn't really notice one being heavier than the other. I did notice right away that the mp-40 had a much lower rate of fire and was far more controllable, I was able to put all of my shots in a very small group. The Thompson has a very high rate of fire and the muzzle will climb a bit...my target tell the tale with my bursts climbing up the target.

Speaking of my targets, the 9mm made nice neat little holes while the .45 made huge rips...I know which one I would rather get hit by!! The Thompson did jam once though, both had good sights....if I had to carry one in battle...I think I would give a slight edge to the MP-40 just because it felt good to hold and it was very controllable.