Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Resistance and beer barrels

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by C-Rousseaux, Dec 29, 2016.

1. C-Rousseaux

C-Rousseaux New Member

Dear all,

I recently discovered while doing my genealogy that my great grand-parents, Marcel ROUSSEAUX and his wife Gabrielle (born DECROIX), where active resistant during WWII. Marcel and Gabrielle owned a brewery in Burbure (Pas-de-Calais, France). During the WWII, part of the brewery was occupied by the Nazis, while my great grand-parents hide british paratroopers in the other part. I managed to gather few names: James NOWAK, Fremick ROWE and H.E. SIMMONS. An other story concerning Marcel ROUSSEAUX says that he helped local head of resistance branch Fernand SELINGUE driving almost 200 british soldiers in empty beer barrels from Burbure/Lillers to La Madeleine.

Unfortunately, I have great difficulties to find these soldiers. I have no first hand testimony to confirm (or invalidate) these incredible stories. It would be amazing if someone heard these stories, and I would be grateful if you could share it with me and on this forum. I would love to make known my great grand-parents for their acts and the british soldiers they saved.

Thank you very much
    Charles R.

Otto likes this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

3. lwd

lwd Ace

You might also consider posting threads for each of them in the Information Request or Service Record subforums. There are several very knowledgeable people here (in particular in regards to WW!! British service). You might also want to check out our sister forum WWIItalk as it tends to focus more on Commonwealth participation.

4. C-Rousseaux

C-Rousseaux New Member

Thank you both for your quick answers, your suggestions are a good lead for my research. I haven't came across the comet line website yet, it looks very interesting. I will happily share the results of my research on this forum.

Charles R.

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You are welcome. I also know a gentleman who has published a list of rescuers . I will check for the names you mentioned and if I have a match I will let you know.

6. C-Rousseaux

C-Rousseaux New Member

Thank you very much for that, fingers-crossed!!