Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Slipdigit - Panama City Beach, Florida, USA

Discussion in 'WW2 Forums/Forces Postal Service' started by Otto, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Otto

Otto GröFaZ Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Username: Slipdigit
    Postmark: 1 August 2016

Panama City Beach is the source of another postcard field report from author/administrator Slipdigit. His submission ensures the South has become very well represented, and throws some verbal shade at others whoa aren't blessed with such scenery and weather.

Thank you Jeff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GRW and YugoslavPartisan like this.
  2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

That looks amazing.

3. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Either he has little respect for you Otto, or some alcohol was involved with the writing of that message. :)

Otto likes this.
  4. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Gordon, That post card reminds me of the lovely beaches on the North shore of the Hebrides , in January. ,.....or did I get that mixed up with Ibiza ?

Gaines

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

That area has the best beaches and the clearest water in Florida. The sand is as white as flour. It's known (or was in my time) as the Redneck Riviera because all the dumb Yankees went down to southern Florida and left the panhandle to "locals" from the adjacent states.

6. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Hey Jeff. Don't drink too much of the Hunch Punch or you might wake up with a Panama City License Plate. :(

Edit:

And they're hideous enough on women! :)

7. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Easily done, I know.

8. Otto

Otto GröFaZ Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You see, when when a postcard contains a compliment, I take it as a personal reference directed at me alone. When it contains calumny and/or slander, I presume the writer is referring to Rogues at large rather than just me. After all, it's the internet, so that's pretty standard. :)

I make no comment on Jeff's mingling of prose and spirits.

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I was actually there twice earlier in the summer and neglected both times to send a card, although I went there fully intending to do so. My eldest child spent the summer in PCB and I asked her to purchase and mail a card for me, after getting a male to write that message for me. I didn't want her girly handwriting on it and y'all thinking I wrote like that.

The white building in the distance is a landmark, the Fountainebleu Terrace. It was built in the 50s or 60s, when the laws allowed building actually out on the beach. My daughter stayed just beyond it in an even older place. We choose much more recently built condos for our trips.

Otto likes this.
  10. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

My wife usually rents houses when we're there, most are beautiful, comparable to the cost of a hotel room or condo for a week and usually just right across the street from the beach. Last time we stayed about a block from Schooner's (billed as the last local Panama City Beach club) and I spent a lot of time drinking beer there and listening to music. We've been going there for years and it's always enjoyable.

[​IMG]

11. Slipdigit

We were a tee shot and a long fairway shot from there back in May. June trip, we stayed out on 30-A. It was a good drive back to the Miracle Strip.

12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

As a Canadian, find those pictures offensive. .. Basking in the sun is hurtful to nations that are cold 3 months out of the year.
    Vote hillary.

13. Slipdigit

Where do you eat down there, Price?

14. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Thinking it meant to read- " The great are here, wish you were weather.".

15. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Poppy, we hate being offensive so when our Northern Wall is built and you Canadians finish paying us for it you will not be able to come down and bask ! Wait, it you play nice with Hillary she might give you a special dispensation to come down. I think about a $100,000 contribution to the Foundation should do it :) I'll put in a good word too .

Your Southern fried friend,

Gaines

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I was there in 1992. I remember a small bar near the beach where they served boiled Oysters. It was the first time I had those this way. Loved them.

17. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Schooners has very good burgers, big thick fries, killer hushpuppies, and a decent gumbo. We usually do quite a few lunches there. We always do one night at Captain Anderson's, more out of tradition now than anything else. Been going there since I was a kid, used to go with my parents. The place has been around since 1967. I liked the old rustic one better than the shiny new, touristy one, but the foods still pretty good.

18. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Out towards the area where Jeff and I stay on our separate trips are several decent places to eat. I prefer to frequent the Mom & Pop places as opposed to the chains and big touristy eateries. Places like The Boondocks, Mike's, The Sand Bar and BFE (Best Food Ever) is where I over-stimulate the local economy with Louisiana made dollars. I started going to Panama City Beach in 1967 with my parents as well. Many good memories there along that stretch of beach.

19. Slipdigit

We hit Capt Anderson's from time to time but have been going to Saltwater Grill on Hutchinson when we want to overspend for a good meal. We went there on the May trip. Since we usually stay around 79 or to the west of it, Saltwater Grill is closer to get to than Capt Anderson's. We used to eat sometimes at the Boatyard by Capt As, but not sure if it is still there.

We always hit Mike's and that open air joint across from Sandpiper Beacon. We ate at Runaway Island during the June trip-it was sub-par, don't waste your time.

Boondocks is good, except for the drive. We're going to try the Sand Bar next trip-Bobby has been singing its praises, so we need to give it a run.

We ate at the Lake House Grill at Carillon in June I was good and we only had to walk to it. No driving since we stayed nearby.. I've been told to try Bayou Bill's and I guess we'll try it next year.

Finally, you ought to try Thomas Donut Shop for breakfast. Get there early and expect a line.

My daughter spent the summer down there and learned of some good, inexpensive places to eat. We'll hit some of those next year.

20. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Never been to such a paradise...LA, San Diego didn't count, because i was 12. So am a little (high pitched voice)- jealous.
    People look way better here in Canada though.
    Covered in many layers of clothing, toques, and 18 hours of darkness. Makes for passionate- if brief- encounters.
    More like a box of chocolates here.