Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

sniper elite

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by tommy tater, Aug 28, 2008.

1. tommy tater

tommy tater Member

i bought a PS2 game a few days ago called sniper elite & the story is that a american oss agent is sent to berlin to help hold off the russians with is sniper rifle until the germans destroy their nuclear research.

at the begining of the game it has a few words from gnl patton saying that" we have to fight them(the russians)now or we will start to get weaker & they will get stronger until all of europe falls under their banner"

would something like this happen? would the OSS or the SAS really send commandos to hold off the soviet juggernuat?:eek: I have looked all over the internet for answers but there is no help at all.

unless some new evidence is shown to me than i will have to abandon my search:( which i dont want to have to do. so could someone throw me a rope!

2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Not in the year 1945. I believe that in this year the Western Allies were beginning to have some suspicions on their Russian brethern but not enough to subversively attack them. The German prediction of the Western Allies fighting the Soviets came to be in the post war years during the Nuremburg trials, division of Europe/Berlin and so on.

3. tommy tater

tommy tater Member

but what i dont understand is why the allies didnt have plan if something like the soviets finding out the nuclear secret i mean churchill never trusted the bolshviks so why didnt he prepare a plan? it couldnt be because he didnt expect the soviets to do so well because the meeting in tehran was only in 1943 when the germans still had a fighting chance in russia

4. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

My first advice to you is NEVER base anything on a video game.They are specifically made and geared to entertain and to make money. Historical accuracy comes last. BTW the Soviets had people already involved in the Manhattan Project.They knew already.What I find interesting though is the high regard placed upon snipers. There is no real instance where they actually made any signifigant contribution to either a battle,campaign or the war in general.

5. tommy tater

tommy tater Member

aregh!! im so stupid! i did hours of research for that! i forgot to look at the back of the box!!! it says the storyline of this game is fiction aregh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! plz close this thread to save me further embarresment!!!cringe!!!!

6. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Thats no problem. Just remember to do a little research beforehand and consider the sources. Videogames are really not a good nor crediable source of information.

7. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

As JCFIII points out, don't feel to bad. But also remember that the Nazi atomic research had been moved from east of Berlin to Haigerloch over near Stuttgart before the Soviets even got close to Berlin. If your game designers had bothered to check, they might have never put that scene in the game.

That shift to Haigerloch (it is a tourist attraction called the Atom Celler these days), was done because the western allies knew exactly where the research was going on (Liepzig) through both spies and Germans who had fled the Nazis. Also the airforces of both the Brits and the Americans had bombed that place much flatter than anybody could figure out why at the time. Unknown to the men carrying out the missions, it was to slow down or stop the Heisenberg working group, and to make sure NOTHING would be in the area for the Soviets to find if and when they over-ran the site eventually, and there was NOTHING THERE of any worth.

While the war was still going on, the US lauched Operation Alsos to recover the Nazi nuclear data and material, consequently the 1100 tons of refined (not enriched) U-238 captured at Stuttgart was "put in the MED pipeline", and perhaps enriched to U-235.

But NOT in time to have been used in the gun-type uranium bomb dropped on Hiroshima. That unit was complete and awaiting the test of the "gadget" plutonium bomb at Alamagordo (Trinity) before the German uranium oxide was captured, and before the German U-boat surrendered. When that little 1100 pounds of U-238 (not tons), was taken out of the U-boat; Oppenheimer made a sarcastic/ironic statement that many have taken as truth.

What he said was something to the effect that; "now German uranium will be dropped on Japan." But, that was said NOT knowing how long it would take for the Japanese to surrender, or how many bombs may be needed to produce that result.

As another "funny" the team named Alsos was lead by an American Jew (Goldschmitt [sp?]), and the team name was Greek for Grove, the name of the leader of the Manhattan Enginneering District, i.e. General Groves. Groves wasn't terribly fluent in Greek and more than a bit busy at the time, so he probably didn't even know about the inuendo of the name of the group. Nobody told him either, he didn't have much of a sense of humor.

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Sometimes the easiest lessons are the hardest to learn. Don't worry about, Tommy.

9. War Hawk Sniper

War Hawk Sniper Member

I once heard a story about the Americans and the Werchmacht teaming up to defend a castle from the SS. It was in WW2 history Magazine.
    It was said to have been the last bloodiest battles of ww2.:eek:

10. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert