Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Some curiosity about E/W Germany.

Discussion in 'Non-World War 2 History' started by Canadian_Super_Patriot, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    I know that they never actually fought each other , but what do you think would have happen if each country was at war with each other ?

Im sorta thinking that a lot of east germans would have surrenendered after token fighting or no fighting at all.

2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    As far as I can remember, the East German army was supposed to be well trained and pretty well equipped, the West German army's proffesional soldiers were on the whole pretty good I believe but the impression I got living there was that the bulk of the peacetime strength was made up of national servicemen, and the appearance and attitude of the few I met did not impress me a great deal.

To be completely honest, I've always kind of imagined any confrontation would have gone the other way around.

3. Ossian phpbb3

Ossian phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think one or two other nations would have been involved -- or can you come up with a scenario where only the Germanies fought, with NATO and WP watching from the sidelines.

When would this conflict have taken place?

Tom

4. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, possibly if West Germany attacked East Germany (war of agression, so no NATO), and the Warsaw Pact did not enter into it because... ah... they didn't want to get NATO involved?

Tenuous and highly unlikely, but it is the only conceivable scenario I could think of.

Still, the original question is quite a good one. IIRC the East Germans tended to be more trusted by the USSR, and get higher-quality weaponry than other Warsaw Pact countries, so it would be quite an interesting match.

5. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Im thinking anywhere around the 70's and 80's. Eventhough the east german were well trained and equipped, I don't think a lot were faithful to east germany and preferred the demcracy of west germany.

6. BMG phpbb3

BMG phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    they might have fought, maybe jsut because East was a 'have not' and west was 'have'. the US put alot of money into Berlin to make it look like las Vegas just to say "it's great over here"