Soviet troops were principally armed with the robust and very effective Pistolet-Pulemet Shpagina 01941g, or PPSh-41 submachine gun. Designed by G.S. Shpagin, this weapon used barrels taken from bolt-action Mosin Nagant M1891/30 rifles that were chromed to reduce corrosion and wear, and was produced using simple techniques of stamping and brazing. Designed by Georgi S. Shpagin, the simple and robust PPSh-41 could be assembled by semi-skilled workers. It had two triggers, one for single shots and the other for full automatic, making it easier to use while wearing gloves. Captured weapons were designated 7.62mm (O.3in) MP717(r) by the Germans. Firing 7.62mm (O.29in) pistol ammunition, it weighed 3.56kg (7.8Ibs) and had a 71-round drum or 35-round box magazine. It fired at 900 rounds per minute, a rate of fire that in Korea would earn it the nickname of 'Burp Gun'. By 1945 some five million had been produced. During the siege of Leningrad, where there were munitions factories but wood was almost unobtainable, A.!. Sudarev designed the Pistolet-Pulemet Sudareva 01943g or PPS-43 submachine gun, an all-metal weapon with a folding stock and a 35-round box magazine. This modern design continued in production after the war. Taking aim through the simple hinged L-shaped sights of his PPSh-41, a Soviet soldier uses the cover and camouflage of a wrecked building in the autumn of 1942. The PPSh-41 had a rate of fire that was almost double that of the MP3S/40.