Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Soviet Radar in WW II

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by T. A. Gardner, Sep 1, 2003.

1. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

The Soviets during WW II began the war with several indigenous radar sets of so-so quality. During the war they continued to produce a number of types for use. These were:

RUS-1 / REVEN 44 sets
    A continious wave set with a wavelength of 4.7m with a modulation frequency of 1 kHz and a detection range of about 20 km. All 44 sets were in service before July 1941 in the Far East and throughout Western Russia.

RUS-2 and RUS-2/REDUIT 12 and 132 sets respectively.
    The first 12 were non-mobile. The remaining 132 were mounted on a three truck unit (one generator vehicle, one transmit unit and, one receiving vehicle). This radar used a yagi style dipole antenna.
    It had a peak pulse output of 50 kW and operated at 4 meters wavelength. Detection range was 10 - 30 km at 500 m 25 - 100 km at 8000 meters. Range variace was 1.5 km and azimuth variance +/- 7 degrees. It entered service on 26 July 1940.

SON-2oT 120 sets
    This set was an almost direct copy of the British GL Mk II gun laying radar. Although the Soviets had been working on a gun laying radar since the late 1930's they had been unable to develop a successful one.

GNEIS-2 and GENIS-2M airborne night fighter radars 231 sets
    These were developed during 1943 and placed in produciton in 1944. Both operated at about 1.5m wavelength. No record of their success or failure in use is available however.

GNEIS-5/GNEIS-5M 24 sets
    A development of the GNEIS-2 operating at 1.43m with a peak pulse of 30 kW. Unit weight was 95 kg.

In addition a number of experimental sets were developed:
    ZENIT: An early attempt at a gun laying radar. It was too inaccurate for use however.
    MIMAS and STRELETS: Further attempts at a gun laying radar. STRELETS would have likely been developed into a successful unit had the SON-2 not been put into production.
    GENIS-1 a first attempt at an airborne radar. Was to operate at 15 -16 cm. Failure due to inability of Soviet industry to produce a reliable Klystron tube for it.
    GENIS 3 / 4: Unsuccessful attempts to improve GENIS 2.
    PORFIROM: An early attempt at a airborne radar. Tested in July 1941 but was unsuccessful.
    YAKHONT: A development of the earlier STRELETS set for use with searchlights and light AA guns. Did not enter production.
    GYUIS-1/GYUIS-1M: A development of the REDUIT radar for naval vessels. A few were produced for operational use.
    MARS-1 / MARS-2: Late war gunnery radars developed for naval vessels. Did not enter service during the war.

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Interesting T.A.

I have looked through losses listings for NJG 5, 100 and 200 and cannot find any as the result of Soviet night fighter action. So I am wondering what they used to fit the air-borne radar sets in what Soviet a/c ? Curious.....

~E

3. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

The only information I have on what Soviet Aircraft mounted an airborne intercept radar is that the Pe-2 was used. Other types might have been tried also but, I have nothing on any of those currently. As to effectiveness, I would suspect that due to a combination of these sets being introduced late war, lack of experiance on the part of the crews and, only the crudest ground controlled interception service being available that Soviet night fighters made few if any successful interceptions. It also is possible that these aircraft were held near high value targets and cities that by late war were highly unlikely to suffer the attentions of the Luftwaffe's bomber force.

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

you could be correct although most of the kills by NJG 100 include high sums of Il-4's and Pe-2's.....so if they did try to make contact with Ju 88G-6's they were most likely the hunted !

~E

5. Juha Tompuri

Juha Tompuri Member

Sorry for the delay,

In a local book: "Red Stars vol 4 the Lend-Lease Aircraft in Russia" by G-F Geust and G Petrov, are few pics and some info about Soviet radar-equipped night fighters.
    Pics about a Douglas A-20G-10-DO "with soviet made Gnejs-3 radar of 173 IAP at Aircraft factory No.81, Monino, spring 1945."
    Pics about Douglas Boston III "with an early Gnejs-2 radar tested by Major Sakharov, NII VVS from 27th Jan to 20th June-43."
    Info: "In July 1944 the long-range night fighter division 56 IAD was formed, equipped with A-20G-1´s...Gnejs-3...operating at targets, Minsk, Gomel,Lvov and Breslau, where two He 111 and three DFS 230 gliders were shot down spring-45...the interceptors were eqipped with additonal 1036 litre fuel tanks at bomb bay increasing the flight duration up to 8 hours."

Regards, Juha

6. arrow1

arrow1 New Member

Hi there,

Basically I am a WWII Aviation historian mainly dealing with Soviet Air Power
    US and UK air campaigns over Ukraine and Romania .

One of the things I wasn't aware of is about the Soviet Radars either ground
    or airborne based . Are there any photos ? I have some photos of Soviet
    captured ME-110 using such. Though never saw a Soviet ftr.equipped with such.

Below an excerpt from Russian historian M.Solonin " The sleeping airfields "

At 2.35 on June 22 Radar RUS-1 at Cape Tarkhankut discovered aerial target, going from the west.At 3.05 zvukopelengatornye
    station recorded the noise of aircraft engines at a distance of 20 km from Sevastopol.Technique worked flawlessly.It was more
    difficult with people.The commanders of all ranks began feverishly to find out to whom you can shift the responsibility for making
    the decision to open fire ( of course his English translation is not precise )
    [​IMG]