Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sten smg in north Africa.

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Adrielcz, Dec 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Adrielcz

Adrielcz New Member

Does anyone have a reliable information about the use of the Sten in the north African front? From what I know it started the production in 1941 and war on Africa stoped in 1943, but I don't see any picture or information about the Sten on Africa!

2. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Hello Adreilcz! Welcome to the Forums! I unfortunately am not aware of extensive use of the Sten in Africa. I'm sure there might have been some use, but the Desert Rats used Thompson Sub-machine guns because they were readily available in large numbers and were good firearms (Not for the long range firefights of Africa's desert though I would assume).

Adrielcz likes this.
  3. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Deployment in North Africa occurred, but was limited to British airborne units.

As far as I know, the first deployment of the Sten outside of Home Guard issue and commando operations (first use was on the Bruneval raid, under the leadership of John Frost) was by 3rd Parachute Battalion on November 12 1942 in a drop on Bone Airfield in northeastern Tunisia. This was followed 4 days later by a drop on Beja in northern Tunisia by the 1st Parachute Battalion. Both drops were unopposed. 2nd Parachute Battalion staged a drop 2 days later on Depienne/Oudna airfields in northeastern Tunisia and suffered heavy casualties. All units continued to fight in the theatre as regular infantry through to mid April 1943.

It appears Stens did not become common issue in the MTO until mid to late 1943.

Adrielcz likes this.
  4. Adrielcz

Adrielcz New Member

Thanks for the information guys!

5. Owen

Owen O

Adrielcz likes this.