Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Stunningly beautiful Russia, an apology/explanation !

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by gtblackwell, Sep 13, 2016.

1. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Today FalkeEins was kind enough to give me a salute for a post on this thread. I went back to read what I might have written to warrant such and in two post counted a total of 15 typos, one post so egregious even I could not understand it, his perception far better than mine. But i was drilled in grammar, spelling and composition and have an English teacher wife to answer any questions I might have on the Queen's English.

I am not particular lazy as it would appear and at 76 still work more than full time, I do admit to a feeling of urgency on occasion and rush through things but I also have Google's spell checker as my ever present partner. It even underlines errors in red ! Still I composed a near incomprehensible paragraph. I have a host of eye disorders , central serous retinopathy, epiretinal membrane proliferation, Fuch's dystrophy, glaucoma and macular degeneration. I am a rock star at the med school as many ophthalmic residences try to diagnose my eyes much to my amusement. One in 15 years has gotten them all.

I can drive, read my Kindle, draw construction drawing , well with lots and lots of light but still......and my glasses are pretty normal looking . But ever so often I leak clear fluid or blood into m\y eyes which slightly obscures what I see , no red lines, typos are not obvious for sometime. Later when they clear up I am horrified at what I have written or amused as the case may be.. I am sure no one thinks I am crazy , lazy or totally careless but it embarrases me .. Any
    thing I write for clients, the Feds, etc. my sweet wife of 53 years proof reads.

I am totally at home on this wonderful forum and many of you will think this silly or unnecessary but I wanted all of you to know I am not deliberately being disrespectful in the sense I do not care about how I post here. For those that post here in English as a second language I an totally envious as to your skills that I wish I had in any other language. I have tried and miserably failed to learn French and Italian. I am sure there are some typos here that I will discover tomorrow.

In the meantime cheers to your all.

Gaines

KodiakBeer, Otto and GRW like this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Hehe...I've noticed a few, I do the same when I type too fast...getting excited about making my point...95pc of my edits are because of typos...
    But everything you write is worth the effort to read mate, keep'em coming.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

No worries here, Gaines. I look forward to your posts. You always have an interesting point of view.

4. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

No worries Professor. I'm mildly dyslexic so it usually takes me three or four reviews prior to clicking the "post" button, and I still have plenty of typos. I find myself going back and correcting posts from a decade ago when I notice an error.

Everyone I've ever messaged feels you are one of the more trusted and appreciated members here, and I wholly concur.

5. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

From what I understand a language is always is in a state of constant evolution. We could not understand an English man from 700 years ago.

Some of us simply help it on the evolutionary path.

EH

KTK

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Actually 13th century English with Saxon expressions and higly influenced by Norman French suits me quite well .

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Indeed...you may understand most of it Skip...they say the English language is in a constant state of flux, and is one of the few languages actually designed to be changed continually...it can adapt quickly to anything, as im sure the rogues have witnessed in their own lifetimes....Perhaps another reason its becoming the "World's Language"...yes im sorry France, you were in the race there for ages...but I see you dwindling quickly. (aren't too many Chinese or Indians learning French).

8. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

I make plenty of typos when I go too fast gt. So no worries.

9. green slime

green slime Member

Professor Gaines, you worry needlessly! Your input and opinions are always valued, and you are always clear, and concise in your language! I wish I had your patience and tact!

All the Best
    /-gs

10. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

That's the excuse I use...

11. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Thanks guys, I was not looking for kind comments, I promise, just weird. I write something with blurry eyes and sometimes they clear and I correct it but as Otto said sometimes it is months later when I read something and think what nitwit wrote that !! :) Perhaps part of it is I never learned to type ! Yep, one finger at a time so I am always looking at the key board. !

No big deal but thanks to all of you. There is a saying, many versions, that " The reason faculty politics or issues are so small is that the issues they deal with are so inconsequential" It goes back to medieval times when monks are said to argue how many angels can dance on the hear of a pin.
    To try and avoid that mentality I always practiced what I taught, dealing with contractors, framers, owners, banks in what really is the real world. During faculty meetings I would quietly sketch out ideas for a project. I would have been even more crazy if not for the sanity of my town friends :)

Now I maintain a hectic work schedule and find this forum a wonderful release, .Good friends here ..............Gaines