Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tech Support

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by Poppy, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Any chance we can get a sticky thread where people can go if having issues related to computer operations, and need some support?

Conglomerate all the : how to post pics, why can't I see pic's, how to quote, etc.

Then have members who understand computer speak, post suggestions and advice.

For example- Upgraded to new Firefox, and now cannot view videos. Previous version was 33.1 released in Nov. The new one is 34.0.5. Running Win XP pack 3. ..Know that flash keeps trying to update, but the newer version wouldn't allow video either, so downloaded the previous version that worked (that was a lot of effort) and managed to get videos to play. Since new FF update, no videos. Tried to download 33.1 but...
    Videos work in InternetExplorer, which was funny in a sad way.

2. Takao

Takao Ace

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Thanks MrT. ..Problem may be flashplayer. Keeps trying to update, but that version won't allow vids to play, so have prevented updates because i know will cause issues- have older operating system.
    When attempting to play a youtube video, the play area is black, with no notice or indication...And to ensure the issue, went to another site, where video did not play. ..Used IE and was able to play.
    Can I just reload FFv 33.1?

4. Takao

Takao Ace

Personally,

I'd uninstall Adobe shockwave & plugin(Control Panel, the select Add/remove Programs). Then download the newest Shockwave from Adobe's site, then get the plug-in from Firefox.(IIRC, XP tended to "stack" all of the old shockwave/flash updates, instead of deleting the old one in favor of the new one - one time I had three or four flash player versions that had not been deleted)

All the time I had XP & Firefox, I never had your problem where a video would not play.

Might help to do an Anti-virus scan too.

Also, you should grab Piriform's CCleaner Free(aka Crap Cleaner): http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    And run a scan on your Window's registry(as always make a backup copy - which I believe it will prompt you to do)

5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Yep-C Cleaner, also MalwareBytes.

This is almost out of my perceptions. Will attempt. Thanks for your time...
    ...Rosebud.

6. Takao

Takao Ace

Of, forgive me.

CCleaner is not an anti-virus program, but more for cleaning up leftover crap on you system and for cleaning and fixing old registry entries(which might be the root cause of your video problem).

But, yes, I heartily recommend MalawareBytes for a free A-V program. That has always fixed any virus trouble I have had...or had to use to fix friends systems(ID'd something like 500+ viruses on an ex-GFs laptop).

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Could not watch youtub at all. Now, after logging in to WW2F, can watch all videos. Hmm. Prolly a settings thingy.

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

No sooner said than done. Sounds like a good idea. Takao had a let of good suggestions.

Poppy likes this.
  9. Takao

Takao Ace

For Poppy, the obligatory musical interlude
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozbcR3ycjF8

10. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Buddy neckbeard. Better adjusted nerd.
    Well done. You still have the belt.

11. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

Interestingly, today I have uninstalled flash from my Windows boxes forever. I wish I've done that before. On my macs I don't have flash for long time. I will never install that nuisance again. Read this paper:

Three years browsing without Flash and why it doesn’t matter (anymore)

@poppy: In the next few days I will attempt to answer questions from your OP.

von Poop likes this.
  12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

That's very interesting, Tamino. Been wondering for a while.
    To be honest, I mostly don't like the way Flash handles updates. Something intrusive and counter to standard security practices in the way it pops up, and if you disable startup update, other Flash issues start to pile up.
    Hmmm.

13. Tamino

For me, decision was straightforward. I was considering to do that earlier, because, to me, flash does behave like a virus or even worse. They want to make you install other software bundled with their product. That's why they insist on so frequent "updates" that do not exist. As the matter of fact, Flash lacks security updates since January 2013.

To uninstall flash I needed just an event to trigger my decision. Interestingly, it happened today in the morning.

14. Takao

Takao Ace

Regretfully, you have your "facts" confuddled.

You have confused Adobe Shockwave Player and Adobe Flash Player...They are, in fact, two different beasties. Shockwave uses the.swf file format, and Flash uses the .flv file format. Adobe Flash has had several security updates since January 2013, Adobe Shockwave has had far less security updates since that time.

You can compare the security updates for each here: http://helpx.adobe.com/security.html

15. Tamino

Never mind. Just dump them both.

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Since logging in to WW2F on the 9th, have been able to view vids. Not sayin' the two are related. Maybe FF did something. Wonder also, have been using duckduckgo. Don't recall if was using that browser when no vids.

17. Takao

Takao Ace

FF just had a major update, likely corrected whatever you disconnect was or else reset any settings changes you had made, intentional or otherwise.

Duckduckgo is a search engine, not a browser, and would not be the source of your vid problem.

18. Tamino

19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Bookmarked. Thanks Tam man, know that it will come in handy.

20. Tamino

You are welcome my friend. If you need any further help, just send me a PM. I have used reset on several occasions and it was helpful.