Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Battle For Verrières Ridge

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by Spaniard, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

At the end of my analyses I ask many questions in which I give answers.
    Lets explore the First one.

First Question; Simonds Blamed the Canadian Regiments for both Operations as The Black Watch & Major Philip Griffin for the failures of Operation Spring and the costly carnage off lives lost and casualties for Verrières Ridge for their “Tactically Unsound & Detailed Execution?”

Based on proven Facts:

1. “The Odds Against Us” It’s accepted by all armies that the minimum acceptable attack ratio must be 3 to 1 in infantry and 5 to 1 in all arms. The Canadian infantry encountered over a 1 to 4 ratio. The Canadian Army could afford to lose equipment, but not men. In fact in the end, it was men that the Canadian Army lost most.

2. Montgomery wrote the following opinion: General Crerar was to have difficulties and has started off his career as an Army Comd. by thoroughly upsetting everyone...he had a row with Crocker the first day and asked me to remove Crocker. I have spent two days trying to restore peace...As always there are faults on both sides, but the basic cause was Harry; I fear he thinks he is a great soldier...I now hope I can get on with fighting the Germans -- instead of stopping the generals fighting amongst themselves. The more I think of Harry Crerar, the more I am convinced that he is quite unfit to command an army in the field at present. He has much to learn and he will have many shocks before he has learnt it properly. He has already started to have rows with Canadian generals under me.”

3. Bernd “Monty’ was not pleased when his Canadian Division Commander fired Brigadier Howard Graham, commander of the 1st Canadian Infantry Brigade. Montgomery wrote to Corps Commander Oliver Leese: “This is a great pity. Graham is an excellent fellow and much beloved in his brigade. I expect Simonds lost his temper. Simonds is a young and very inexperienced divisional general and has much to learn about command. In my highest opinion of Simonds...[although he] tried to go off the rails once or twice when he first went into action with his Div. Simonds must therefore be handled carefully and trained on.

4. “Megill” headquarters to inform him that Simonds was furious at the lack of progress by Brig.-Gen. W.J. Megill from 5th Brigade and had sent him forward to get it moving. As Megill described it, “there was pressure to attack on that front, from every Headquarters from that of General Eisenhower down. And told in no uncertain terms, that keeping the pressure up was vital. A British Officer stated in the light of after events the persistence in attack when the chances of success were slight may seem unjustified, but I assure you that we were told in no uncertain terms that to keep the pressure up was vital” & In hindsight, Megill summed the situation up by stating, "an attack had to made and it was made & once started, everyone was determined that there would be no drawing back. As at Dieppe, critics can say it was too costly, they cannot say that Canadian soldiers did not give it their best shot in the belief they were making a necessary, even if costly, contribution to eventual victory."

5, At all Allied command levels tension where very high. The German defences were demoralizing and lethal, as the staggering count of high casualties.

6. The Operation started two days late, delayed due to heavy rain lightning and high winds till July 24.

7. With little ground gained. Lt.-Gen. Simonds was determined that all his battalion commanders must push forward with maximum effort no matter the cost “Get Cracking.”

8. A more serious criticism was made by Brigadier W.J. Megill who commanded 5th Brigade. “He stated on record. “He thought the plan for Operation Spring was drawn up from maps by someone who had never seen the ground. To attack uphill into a strong enemy position was bad enough, but it seemed suicidal when every step forward exposed your flank to enemy tanks, mortar and artillery from the west bank of the Orne”.

9. It’s a Proven fact that Simonds lacked knowledge and experience, in properly directing his tanks and especially the Infantry then solely his Artillery. In which this was also a difficult task for him, not properly using them when most warranted or needed as causing many friendly fire casualties.

10. The Black Watch Brigadier commander was Brig.-Gen. Bill Megill. The adjutant of the Black Watch states and has gone on record that, Griffin was harassed by a constant stream of orders and even a visit by an officer from headquarters in efforts to speed up the Black Watch attack. I thus found myself receiving messages from Brigade (to pass on to Maj. Griffin) demanding an immediate attack and replies from Major Griffin (to pass back to brigade) explaining the situation, and stressing the foolhardiness of pressing an attack.

11. As per Montys Plan, Simonds insistence that the attack was a “Holding Attack” as many complaints from senior Canadians. General Foulkes wet on record and held firm that Spring was presented by Simonds as a “breakthrough” operation with prospects of success.

12. A Survivor of this battle Adjutant Capt. Campbell Stuart, 24 of the Black Watch who was entrusted with the roll as middleman of the wireless between Griffin and headquarters has gone on Record. Capt. Campbell clearly remembers not but pressure “A Blizzard of Orders” I found myself receiving constant messages from Brigade, too pass on to Maj. Griffin. Demanding a immediate attack, and replies from Maj. Griffin stressing the foolhardiness of pressing an attack”. Capt Stuart claims “the final straw was the appearance of Megill at Saint Martin.

13. Recently declassification of a Top Secret project called “Ultra,” has brought allot of controversy and discussion. Mr. David R. O’Keefe has discovered documentation that Lt-.Gen. Simonds knew that the attack was impossible, that the Germans were heavily reinforced and fortified their positions. That “Jerry” had their 272nd Inf. Div. with four battalions estimated at 600 men each & 1st Panzer Div. backed-up with 2nd, and 9th SS Panzer Div. were known to be in support. East of the Caen-Falaise highway, 1st SS Panzer Div. held Tilly-la-Campagne. 10th SS Panzer Div, & 116th Panzer Divisions headed to the battlefront from the north of the Seine. Which they surrounded and dominated the Caen/Falaise Road with an extra 200 tanks, which had already stopped the British armour in Operation Goodwood dead in it’s tracks short of Verrières, on July 18th.

14. The three Wise men Simonds, Megill and Foulkes received vital Intel information concerning the mines and “The Factory Area” never seeing the importance of passing down the Intel to the C.O’s. of the Infantry Regiments. The Germans Troops in large numbers occupied their flank, in subterranean iron mines filled with tunnels, vent holes, having taking cover and manoeuvring inside the long net work of tunnels, reappearing in deferent locations undetected, from which Jerry infiltrated 2nd Div. rear and as the Black Watch advanced.

15. Megill summed the situation up by stating, “an attack had to made and it was made &. Once started, everyone was determined that there would be no drawing back. As at Dieppe, critics can say it was too costly, they cannot say that Canadian soldiers did not give it their best shot in the belief they were making a necessary, even if costly, contribution to eventual victory.”

16. The Calgarians attacked May-sur-Orne with armour allotted a single squadron (18 tanks from B SQN, 1st Hussars) that was then to advance and support the attack of The Black Watch as they attack the ridge, against a overwhelming seasoned dug in, reinforced division. When the Black Watch did advance, the Hussars raced forward and reached May, only to be pushed back by Panthers.

17. At Zero hour At 09:00, the tanks as promised by Megill had not arrived nor the promise, of Simonds artillery barrage. Why? As Simonds watched from Hill 67, because they got bogged down in MAY later to show they did arrive late with “one tank” Or did they? As the Black Watch was already ½ a K in the field. As one Jerry put it in his Diary. "Their artillery barrage was week." The evidence clearly shows NoN of the 1st Hussar tank or Tanks ever reached the Black Watch Start-Line "The Minors Road."

18. According to Maj.-Gen. Charles Foulkes, Simonds wanted to continue the battle on the 25th and went into a Rage when told that this was impossible as no more troops were available to be slaughtered.

19. As Historian Copps stated; “this situation was the result of the failure, recognizing that St. Martin and its factory area were well organized, strongly held defensive positions. The first phase of “Spring” should have been an attack on St. Martin, not May-sur-Orne”. MacLaughlan and Megill with wireless Communications down were left clueless on what had happened to the four Calgary companies. During the three hours of darkness and confusion the failure to send runners to report to battalion headquarters or have backup communication, between 07:00 and 09:00hrs, when the Black Watch were preparing their attack, only the reserve company of the Calgary made contact with MacLaughlan.

20. Despite the arguments between Simonds and Foulkes during and after Op Spring, both did agree to destroy report # 150 that included Simonds personal evaluation of the battle and direct criticism of the performance by all the attacking battalions, particularly the Black Watch.

21. On July 25th 1988, interview: Megill offered this explanation of his actions. It was perfectly clear that the attack should have been called off at a very early stage in the morning. I suggested this not later than perhaps 8:00 or 9:00 o'clock. Instead the Corps commander was pressing the divisional commander and he was pressing us to get on with an attack which we knew was almost hopeless. Under these circumstances one does not quit. You do as much as you possibly can and hope that someone will see the light and give you some relief.

22. CMHQ Report The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regt) of Canada in OPERATION"SPRING", 25 Jul 44. Report # 150. Feb 12 1946 by C.P. Stacey, Is destroyed by Lt.-Gen. Simonds and saved from the burring fire by Maj.-Gen. Foulkes.

23. On 21 Jan 46, Simonds wrote a three page critique for C.P. Stacey which was to be included as an appendix to Report No. 150, the official version of what happened and why. Simonds absolved his own performance but blamed Spring's failure and “unnecessary casualties” on “errors of judgement in minor tactics”. Commenting on Griffin's assault, Simonds wrote: “The action of the Black Watch was most gallant but was tactically unsound in its detailed execution.”

24. By April 9 1946, after some harsh words between Foulkes (who was Chief of the General Staff and Simonds superior), orders were given that the Simonds comments, originally included as an appendix were to be “extracted and destroyed by order of CGS in accordance between CGS and Lt.-Gen Simonds.” Report 150 was then classified “not to be released to non DND personnel.”

25. Lieutenant-General Guy G. Simonds had twenty Regiments of artillery in addition, two armoured divisions available. Finally, Simonds was in a position to act decisively. Radio communications with his Headquarters were available and he was in an opportune location from which he could observe and direct the entire attack from Hill 67. He could have intervened. He did not.

26. Simonds in a 1946 reports writes, declaring that Operation Spring was designed not as a breakout battle. But merrily a “Holding Attack” to distract the Germans, allowing the US to break out.

27. Three decades later, historian Reginald Roy was doing research for his book on the battle of Normandy, he contacted Megill. In which he replied to Roy that he felt “undoubtedly Major Griffin should have called off the attack when it was clear that they & could not get supporting fire from either artillery or tanks because of lack of communications. However, I would like to say in defence of his persistence against overwhelming odds that he was a very brave and proud man and a company commander is not a battalion commander. I doubt if he really realized what his responsibilities were. He was leading his men as he had done before, not directing the battalion. His plan of attack was sound enough but he then reverted to personal leadership.” Why, because you Megill manipulated Griffin since your prime directive was to “Get Cracking!” And you contradicted yourself many times through the years, you claim Griffin’s attack was sound enough? You “stated on record: To attack uphill into a strong enemy position was bad enough, but it seemed suicidal when every step forward exposed your flank to enemy tanks, mortar and artillery from the west bank of the Orne” Hill 112. You knew about the Mine tunnel system, project “Ultra” revealed you knew the Germans where embedded, greatly outnumbering with reinforcements on there way. You go on record stating “It was perfectly clear that the attack should have been called off at a very early stage in the morning. I suggested this not later than perhaps 8:00 or 9:00 o'clock.”

As we can all clearly read by these facts Lt.-Gen. Guy Granville Simonds, you are found Guilty! For your arrogance stature and ignorant incompetence, far worse, your zealous reckless carelessness with complete utter disregard, for the lives of your men under your command as your own personal gains. Your completely and fully responsible for the Failed Op’s of Atlantic and especially Spring, causing horrific carnage and high casualties. When it could of been prevented by a General that knew how to properly direct his tanks and especially the Infantry, then solely his Artillery, in which this was also a difficult task for you causing numerous needless casualties. Remember “Black Friday” that was your failed blunder, as so many other Battles in WWII. For falsifying documents, hiding and disregarding vital information that would of aided the troops and the outcome of battles. And to add insult to injury! You arrogantly blamed the complete ordeal on The Canadian Regiments and especially The Black Watch and a Young Major as the men under his command, who’s harts & gameness by there actions are undeniable, cut from the same Tartan as 13th BATT. Your also Guilty of Geniva Convention War Crimes, by issuing orders that no German prisoners should be taken as all Germans surrendering should be shot, which many were. Proven Fact by all historians! Your not even worthy or fit of the rank of Lt.-Gen. Megill and Maj.-Gen. Charles Foulkes your not of the hook, your both responsible for carrying out a shameful display of unbecoming of High ranking officers.

Mr. Guy Granville Simonds, undeniably Guilty! You’re sentenced to be shamefully removed from the Order of Canada and hope your “Rotting & Burning in Hell,” Sir!

2. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

According to Mr.O'keefe in The Ghosts of Verrières.

MYTH NO 2: “St. Andre-sur-Orne”

This statement is very questionable, the Camerons would surely have something to say about that. St Andre-sur-Orne, a part of which the Queen’s Own Camerons of Canada had been clinging to the past few days. According to many that have gone on record and confermed by the Diary of Privet W.T. Booth Intelligence Section of Batt Headquarters, 1st Battalion Black Watch.

This also leaves room for debate Major Edwin Bennett of The Black Watch went on record for the early morning of the 25th; We had just made contact with the Tanks in St. Andre-sur-Orne. They had moved into the orchard as a harbour and had lost "Two Tanks" coming trough the town.

According to Privet W.T. Booth Diary;The fighting transport (F Echelon) of the regiment remained in the town of Ifs along with the men in Battalion HQ who had not been on Hill 67. Three of us from the I Section (Sgt. Fred Janes, "Dolly" Lessard, and I) were to precede the rifle companies to St. Andre and then, according to our orders, into St. Martin-de-Fontenay to lay white tape marking the forward edge of the forming-up point. The tape was wound on a signals reel. St. Martin is sister to St. Andre, alongside an apple orchard which was soon laced with tracer fire from a machine gun. St. Martin had not been cleared.

The Calgary went on record that on the 26th they found around 40 survivors in that area.

The rest is correct, one has to remember that was around 350 men of the Black Watch that moved down west D/89 into St.Martin from north of Beauvoir farm. The Black Watch had around 900 men.

3. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

I removed my assessment and Thread TWO since it was Combined

4. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

Removed post Since it's just the explanation on sources

5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Whatever...you're still going to need to include a "bibliography" or a "Works Cited". You need to be able to prove where the information came from and that it is not plagerized from another source.
    Especially if you are using historical figures (i.e. Real People)

In lieu of that your submission will be nothing more than historic fiction.

6. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

What you should do here "Spaniard" is to post the first paragraph of the article, then the link to where you took the paragraph. That was we will know you didn't write it, and you are only calling our attention to it.

Then, post your own opinion as to the "story", and see what (if anything) developes as we read the thing ourselves. You may just get "silent nods" of ok, so what? Or you might end up with a decent discussion, but it needs to have something of your own and not just the original author's words.

I post a link to articles from magazines in archives all the time, but not to start discussions, just to let my fellow "addicts" in on some piece of trivia or other interesting side-bar as per the decisive years of this period.

Just a thought, posting one long extract and then five or six "I've got more" type of posts is of no use at all.

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I second this.

8. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

I will be adding all main Sources at the last page, How are you kidding. There would be Turmoil and Judges going Mad. No I want to save you From all those PM.

9. Slipdigit

The work you have posted already is yours and yours alone? There is no using of someone else's work, other than as sources for your own writing?

Has it been posted elsewhere?

10. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

YOU I know what you Did, and I'm Not talking about Icci. I was Back in 5 Min after, I can never be Blocked from a bolt on++. What a shamefull Desplay.

And now your trying to be Nice and be Helpful Your such a Sweetheart.

No worries Judges I'll Give sources for the Info I'll provide, and Links also on the last page.

11. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

That's correct as source for my own writing. Not that I cut and Pasted Pages Or +++ And thats my Sources as mentioned on the Other Posts. I go through ever day from the 18 to 28.

J.W. I Don't need! you know who to send You 1000 MSG I wanted to finish the 18th Now since It's the Anniversary.

I'll Post All Sources First, I hate doing things backwards:D

OK I'll do this Back Wards and add the Sources NOW first. :D Lmaoooooo

Why did you take out the pages I saved I was going to fill them Up Day By day as the Anniversary Progressed to the 25th. I've been putting this together for a Year of Research in the Canadian Archives plus all the Books articles +++++and cross referencing to insure accuracy.

Youse Guys Just ruined This

12. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Spaniard - Do you really want me to give you my opinion of C.P. Stacey on this thread? C.P. Stacey generally compiled information he obtained from other sources -he was not in battle, and did not participate in the battles he described as a serving officer - therefore, I consider him to be a secondary source of information. As to the books he wrote, they were done in a hurry following the War in order that they be timely - not necessarily fully researched. For a long time - what he wrote was all that was available, and I believe he did a disservice to many of his countrymen when he wrote disparagingly of them because he held others, particularly the British and even the Germans in higher regard.

Why don't you put together what you want to post here each day into a document on your own computer, and then you can copy and paste each day into a new post on this thread. A line of blank posts would not serve the thread or the Forum.

I am interested in seeing your sourced posts about the developments leading up to the Battle of Verrieres Ridge and its results. I assume this is different than your previous thread about the Battle. I'm certainly interested in your analysis, but it doesn't mean that I won't dispute some of your conclusions! (and I'll bring my sources to the discussion as well!)

brndirt1 likes this.
  13. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

What?.....

I too support this line of reasoning

14. Slipdigit

15. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

16. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

You often refer to Terry Copp in your 'sources' but I have a feeling that you have never read his books as he discredits Stacey, as do many modern Canadian historians.

17. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

If you think I'm going to add Little numbers at the end of each sentence,:confused: On basics 101 WWII History. I see many quoting sources and never add source. And the explanation given is because all members already know the Info provided. Goes to show the Double standerd on this Site.

Well I could If I wanted to, I do have all the sources.

Just like the Picture Gallery Many Pics have No source Mentioned and I know there Archive Pictures that includes You Michelle a44446 is not a proper Source on some of your Pictures. Yes I know many are yours Personally, but not those.

I Know you have to Add a PA-44446 at the Canadian Archives is not even a mentioned on those Pics.

Best wishes to all.

18. Mark4

Mark4 Ace

I don't get it what is this about this seems like a copyright battle....................

19. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

Why are You Insulting Me???? What an arrogant Post. I believe you have Big feeling problems, have the doctor check it out and I Personally think you should do more reading.

Read the Thread I clearly meantion It.

Just goes to show the nonsense one has to endure Icci. Time to make the Donuts.

20. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

You see, that's where you spoil it all. You just don't know how to play nicely.

You come on, make statements and when people question them you go off on one. If you think that's reasoned historical debate or research then you're very mistaken.

formerjughead likes this.