Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The cold war , part two

Discussion in 'Non-World War 2 History' started by jeaguer, Apr 27, 2007.

1. jeaguer

jeaguer New Member

via TanksinWW2

the down side of goebbel dictum is that if you repeat a lie a hundred times it become the truth to you too

:roll:

2. TISO

TISO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    That's why i keep open mind and don't take anything for granted. Facts change, at least new facts can prove that previously commonly accepted truths are not what everybody thought they were :smok:

3. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Two members of this forum, lets call them X and Y, happen to be from a certain country, Z. They hold worldviews A and B. They amount to the sum total of 2 citizens of country Z. The country Z has a total population of 301,139,947*.

Therefore, members X and Y constitute approxamitely 6.4 x 10^-7 percent of the population of country Z.

It can be logically concluded, therefore, that when 0.00000064% of the population of country Z holds views A and B, the remaining 99.99999936% also holds view A and B.

* According to the CIA World Factbook, 2007 estimate

:roll:

4. TISO

TISO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Did you check that number? Just in case Pearl, Wolfie and Dick had anything to do with this estimate. :D

Sorry. Just couldn't help myself. You probably knew this was coming.

Add.
    Good examples for this are SSSR in 1941, Germany late war, Israel 1973 and 2006, US administration on Iraq and much more but those most glaring in my opinion. When one starts to belive in his own propaganda it is a shure sign of clusterfuck of gigantic proportions. Hope it doesn't happen to me. :D

5. jeaguer

jeaguer New Member

via TanksinWW2
    yes Tiso , trying to spin everything only led to spinning oneself ,
    that's why I get so mad at the current state of U.S. diplomacy , there is no one in control it's all rhetoric and evening news

two random citizen from one country in a set of two hold the same view
    that's an one hundred percent aggreement ,
    it is more accurate to believe this is the majority view in the country that to assume it is insignificant
    the error margin is only 20% or so , decreasing to 1% in a sample of 1000

it is basic opinion poll math

6. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    where ever did you guys get the notion that the west or the bush cheney white house or fox news or anyone else wants to re start the cold war ...would this be because the iraq war or war on terror is going so swimmingly well that we need a new enemy to put a black hat on ...you think that the american people are so happy with the present war that they thirst for more ...where ,please did you read this nonsense ..didnt chechen jihadists just shoot a bunch of russian schoolchildren a few years ago ..what does putin hope to gain by selling high tech anti ship missles (and whatever ) to the iranians.... an islamofaciest theocracy controlling the persian gulf is seen a positive thing by moscow , this seems rather short sighted does it not?
    the russians have been historically an open book and have always complied with their treaty obligations and the evil western democracys have always been double dealing and decietful and poor ol honest abe putin is just about at the and of his rope with all the duplicity and conniveing , and he is just throwing his hands up in dispair ...his patience at an end after 70 years of almost childlike goodwill and altruistic behaviour everyone knows when the russians agree to do something , its like its been written in stone because their word is always their bond ...its those damn backstabbing democracys with their paranoid secrecy and their closed society where everyone is watching everyone else , those grim police states of western europe and america .. and here these poor open hearted ex kgb guys ,just asking for some honesty and fair dealing ...like always ,, and what do they get??? ...trickery ,lies ,deception ..its all so unfair....blair and bush are prolly hatching some evil barbarossa plan right now so they can take controll of all that good liveing space and snow ...lets face it everyone the world over wants to live in russia and the russians have been hoarding all that joyful liveing for way too long ..it high time they share...

7. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Nah, not Blair - he's retiring soon. :D

8. smeghead phpbb3

smeghead phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    By jove you're right woody, both Chechnya and Iran are Islamic... Filthy lying bastards, I can see the connection now... They must be in it together along with every Muslim in the world, what on earth is Russia thinking? I mean they invade Chechnya but refuse to cut off trade rights with the entire Middle East, its absolutely preposterous, they should cut right out of middle Eastern politcs althogether just like America has done... :D Good, shining, exemplars of 'how to run policits in the Middle East' they are... I can see the headlines now "Russia ceases arms trade with 3rd world, loses billions, Bush happy!". Pity, such an idea wasn't unimaginable under Yeltsin

But now, ever so unfortunately, Russia simply refuses to act in America's interests before her own... The Nerve! Refusing to stop making legal arms contracts with Iran, unimaginable! Gosh if I were the leader of Russia, I would much prefer to lose billions just to put a smile on our good friend Uncle Sam... And I'm sure they'd do just the same for us!

Acting in the best interests of their country only, pfft... you just can't trust them can you?

9. jeaguer

jeaguer New Member

via TanksinWW2

also the weapons were anti aircraft systems , hardly offensive but perfectly suited to raise the cost of an air campaign , this drove the present US administration mad , the before mentionned sanctions just appeared

as for restarting the cold war intentionnaly , there is a saying
    " if it looks like manure , smell like manure , feel like manure , taste like manure and someone tell you it's candy floss and they are your friend
    then there got to be a reality check

10. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    There is no accuracy in such a statement.

The logic, or rather lack thereof in this post baffles me. To begin with, Grieg and Majorwoody are not two random citizens. They share some common interest that drove them to this site. Go to another forum with another type of userbase (from gardening to hippie activity to activism to whatever) and pick two random members. The results will be completely different.

Second of all, I am sure woody and Grieg do not agree on everything (as you imply by writing "100% agreement), even on a single subject. That is a very rare case.

Therefore, I still think it is a logical fallacy to assume that since Grieg and woody assume certain views, the rest of America does as well.

11. jeaguer

jeaguer New Member

via TanksinWW2

Man ,
    I give you the point about this forum not being a true random set ,
    randomness is a statement of condition ,
    further the agreement is only on the precise subject being discussed rather than "everything "
    100% come from each having a fifty % share of the sample ,
    the statistical chance of both being from the minority is less than 25%
    if the sample was of three the statistical spread would be ~ 12% of the three being in aggrement in the minority ( 0.5 ^3 )
    even the sample not being trully random can be compensated for under some conditions , such as past data and a large enought sample ,
    the number of 1000 is used as a treshold in statistical studies from medical to opinion poll

by the way , while everything above hold water , there is a fallacy in my argument and you are quite welcome to find it :D