Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Flight Surgeon’s Oath

Discussion in 'War44 General Forums' started by Jim, Sep 4, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    I accept the sacred charge to assist in the healing of the mind as well as of the body. I will at all times remember my responsibility as a pioneer in the new and important field of aviation medicine. I will bear in mind that my studies are unending; my efforts ceaseless; that in the understanding and performance of my daily tasks may lie the future usefulness of countless airmen whose training has been difficult and whose value is immeasurable.

My obligation as a physician is to practice the medical art with uprightness and honour; my pledge as a soldier is devoted to Duty, Honour, Country. I will be ingenious. I will find cures where there are none; I will call upon all the knowledge and skill at my command. I will be resourceful; I will, in the face of the direst emergency, strive to do the impossible.

What I learn by my experiences may influence the world, not only of today, but the air world of tomorrow which belongs to aviation. What I learn and practice may turn the tide of battle. It may send back to a peacetime world the future leaders of this country.
    I will regard disease as the enemy; I will combat fatigue and discouragement as foes; I will keep the faith of the men entrusted in my care; I will keep the faith with the country which has singled me out, and with my God. I do solemnly swear these things by the heavens in which men fly.