In the latter part of May, upon returning from Lydd Firing Camp the Regiment moved to a new area south of Horsham. Regimental Headquarters was located at Worleys Wood with the three Batteries near by. The month of June was largely devoted to tests in Elementary Training and sports. A Regimental Sports Day was held at Marlpost Wood. This was followed by a Divisional Sports Meet at which the 3rd Light Anti-Aircraft team won by a wide margin. In the Divisional Sports Meet held at Petworth Park the Regimental Team came fifth. The summer of 1943 was a strenuous one. The Regiment on one scheme after another only to return to a firing camp or an operational commitment. No leaves were granted. In the latter part of August the Division practiced moving into assembly areas for movement overseas. The actual practice was carried out and the loading in barges was completed in record time. During this exercise, which was called “Harlequin”, the complete Division was kept in suspense and confined to barracks in the marshalling area for two weeks. By that time the Italian invasion had been completed. Upon returning from “Harlequin” the Regiment proceeded to the Battle Training Camp at Penybont in Wales. It was hear under very unsanitary and unhealthy conditions that continuous rain, mud, lack of leave and general lack of action on a war front caused the morale of the Regiment to drop to its lowest ebb. Lieutenant-Colonel Plow, Major D.P. Campbell, Major Carlyle, Captain Steel, Captain Nobleston, Captain Clark, Lieutenant Dowdell left the Regiment at this time. A few days later Major J.M. Hockin, Major C.J. Willis, Captain J.H. Buck, Captain J.C. Osborne, Captain W.H. Annable and Lieutenant D.M. Hodge joined. Much hard work was the daily routine, tactical exercises on platoon and company levels were carried out in almost constant rain. During a night training exercise Lieutenant Slingsby fell over a cliff while visiting a gun position and sustained serious injuries to his back and spine from which he died in hospital in Canada in the summer of 1944. Upon returning to fresh billets in Lancing and Shoreham, and new gun sites along the coast, displaced gun crews were put into working order again, and on the 25th October Lieutenant-Colonel G.G. Peake took over command of the Regiment. When new equipment arrived in January, 1944, and a firing camp gave an opportunity to test it the unit had climbed up to its former high standard. It put up a record at Netherton firing camp that was not equalled until the Regiment returned in March and established a new record of 212 hits. The report given by the Instructor in Gunnery and the Camp Commandant left nothing to be desired. It showed the Regiment at the top of its form as was later demonstrated on its first day in France. Another change in establishment took place in March, 1944, when one troop of 20 millimeter guns was added to each Battery. These troops came intact from the 7th and 11th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiments which were being disbanded at that time. In addition to their 20 millimeter guns these “Flak” troops were also trained in the use of 4.2 inch mortars. April brought with it exercise “Step”, unit censorship and a move to the Divisional marshalling area. The Regiment encamped in a beautiful woods near Eyethorne in Kent. Inspections by the Commander Royal Artillery, the General Officer Commanding and General Eisenhower followed. On each occasion the unit received special mention for fine turnout. The waterproofing of all vehicles completed by 9th June, the balance of the time was spent on a sports program which terminated in a Regimental Sports Day in the latter part of the month. As 1st July drew near, although morale was at its highest, the Regiment became restless, anxious to get going and get at grips with the enemy.