Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Jug

Discussion in 'Aircraft' started by KodiakBeer, Aug 23, 2014.

1. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Many thanks. I am somewhat aware of the differences just as F 1 engines have truly huge differences from say a Audi V 10. I am patient waiting for a friend to get the Allison 1710 overhauled for his Yak 9. It had about 1200 hours on it. I have been promised a ride !! I have been pretty amazed at the low rpm which many piston engine aircraft maintain but airfields are not always near !

BTW, though I need to check it more closely but I believe currently each F 1 car is allotted 8 or so sealed engines for the season . They cannot be modified, rebuilt, changed even within the rules. Mercedes has an edge that Renault and Ferrari have to wait to change theirs. They may be allowed some mapping changes but I do not think they can beak the seals. Some correct me if I am wrong. Unfortunately tantrums take center stage over technology in the news in a year with much new technology. My apologies for getting the thread off course....no pun intended.

Back toward the OP. Is it me or was more advancement made in aircraft in WW2 than say tanks. When I was young the "Jug" was my favorite plane and my first model....the old balsa, paper and dope era.

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

She is a pretty plane.

Doubly pretty, that is, as we sometimes say in the South. Pretty ugly and pretty apt to stay that way.

A great aircraft, nonetheless.

3. Dave55

Dave55 Member

I agree. Biplanes to jets.

I think the P-47 N and M were the ultimate piston engined fighters. They did most things better than the usual suspects like the Ta 152 and Do 335 and did them more reliably and in greater numbers, in my amateur opinion.

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I wonder if planes like the Jug and the Corsair say something about American mentality and aesthetics? Make it really big, stick a really big engine in it, then mount lots of guns on it. It's comparable to post war sports cars - light and maneuverable European cars vs big Detroit Iron muscle cars.

Triple C likes this.
  5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Half naked ladies draped all over. Can see the comparison. Want to drive all 3.