Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Troopship Queen Mary painting

Discussion in 'Art of War' started by ULITHI, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

ULITHI likes this.
  2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

MOM! Why is Suzie's brain so beautiful, and I'm wearing a walnut?...OMG Suzie, get out of my head.

3. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

In hushed tones: "I'll put a happy little battleship over here". Ha!

I'm afraid Bob is a bit quicker producing finished works than I am. Mine take around a month or so, give or take how much time I have. The majority of my time spent is with the detail brushes, something I see him rarely use.

I can do the same type of painting he does with a big brush. I've done it before a few times. Hovever, he is VASTLY superior at mixing the paints. That's where he makes my jaw drop!

texson66 likes this.
  4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Darren needs a fro. That would make him eccentric therefore his art is much more valuable. I'm crazy too. Am selling plaster casters.

5. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

I do like the Bee Gees. Does that count? :)

6. texson66

texson66 Ace

Sure, it counts ...this little number was for the late OBL, but NOT NOW....probably NOT on the Pakistani top 40 anymore either

[video=youtube;I_izvAbhExY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY[/video]

7. Takao

Takao Ace

Concerning the discharge lines on the "Sammy B". I marked them with arrows.

They are commonly active on class photos

Attached Files:

ULITHI likes this.
  8. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Thank a bunch Craig! Appreciated! I just got done painting the QM's in today. Thanks again for the heads up on that as well.

9. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

The PBY is fine. Everybody has his good side and his not so good side (I seem to have more than one bad side), and the Cat's bad side is from beneath and foreshortened... makes her look fat (you know how chicks are...) But how else could you show them both? Coming around the Queen's stern in a wide turn to port, wings banked slightly? Could be, but that's a whole new composition.

10. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

O.k,first impresstions,the sky is simply great.I get a wonderful feel of speed and power,but it's the light that is overriding.Superb,quite superb.thanks for letting us see it.

11. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

I hope no on thinks I'm tacking the piss.this is how I feel about art !.

12. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

The History Channel has a series called WWII in HD. I was watching that a few nights ago and I saw some footage of one of the big Cunard troopships, either Queen Mary or Queen Elizabeth. She was painted in Altantic Haze Gray (darker than your colors, but that could be the photography) but the stacks were as pre-war, black over orange. Do you have documentation of her camouflage history? Wasn't there some attempt to use dazzle effects, or range/speed baffling measures like fake bow waves?

13. Takao

Takao Ace

ULITHI is correct with his colors, the ship was all grey throughout the war, this is seen in the vast majority of her wartime photographs. IIRC, the only time the Queen Mary had her grey hull and Cunard colored stacks was post-war during her transition from troopship back to passenger liner. Although the possibility exists that her stacks retained their colors briefly in 1940 before being repainted, but this could just be a mislabeled photograph, which is what I suspect. However, the Queen Elizabeth did retain her colored funnels for a brief time after her hull was repainted.

If there were any other attempts to camouflage the Queen Mary, photographic evidence is not easily found on the net. All the photos I have seen show her in her overall grey scheme. Likely this book http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=01J468NDXZMTNPJVMA52 would have the answers, but I haven't yet purchased it.

14. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Interesting thing.....this battleship gray color........in the 1970's gas companies made me paint the large gas compressors....battleship gray....not always a favorite color for the veterans due to their long hours spent on the ships painting the one color. However it was the color of choice for the management.

15. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

Wow, you are so talented. I love the color of the sky and then the beautiful blue of the ocean. In my opinion it makes the gray of the ship so much better. Your detail is beyond belief. Wow...again.