Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Vatican Searching Pope Pius XII Letters

Discussion in 'Concentration, Death Camps and Crimes Against Huma' started by GRW, Mar 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Could well open up a can of worms.
    "Historians will today begin combing the archives of the world's most contentious pope, hoping to discover why Pius XII stayed silent during the Holocaust.
    More than 200 researchers applied for permission to settle in one of the small studies of the Vatican Apostolic Archives to begin poring over millions of letters and documents the Vatican kept under lock and key.
    The historic moment was preceded by decades of controversy and debate about why the pontiff, who headed the Catholic Church from 1939 until his death in 1958, never spoke out about the slaughter of six millions Jews in Nazi concentration camps across Europe.
    'The Church is not afraid of history,' Pope Francis declared when he chose to open one the Vatican's most painful moments up for world scrutiny a year ago.
    'For millions of people, Catholic and Jewish, these archives are of enormous humanitarian interest,' Suzanne Brown-Fleming, international programmes director at the US Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, told AFP."
    www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8065723/Vatican-opens-archives-discover-Pope-Pius-XII-stayed-silent-Nazis-extermination-Jews.html

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I doubt anything too damning will still be there...

bronk7 likes this.
  3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'll be interested to see what they find. I kind of agree with CAC. I'm afraid the "good stuff" is long gone.

4. Jba45ww2

Jba45ww2 Well-Known Member

I would be very surprised if the Catholic church would share anything that would bring anymore bad publicity upon themselves. I think CAC is dead on.