Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Virus Warnings

Discussion in 'WWII Forums News' started by Otto, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

We'd be nothing more than squiggly worms over there. To think all this valuable info could be lost...Maybe incorporate ww2f into ww2talk so valuable posts are not forgotten? ...This place has been around since 2003? That's a lot of stuff.

2. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

poppy, that was just one persons opinion. My own is that this is a small group, or individual doing this to us.
    Must mean we are doing something right. I have a great respect for those guys over there, and mean no disrespect in the following, but even with this current problem we seem to be getting twice as many hit per day. I simply can't see that this will put us under. If it does, then they will win, and get exactly what they want.

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

have no probs accessing the other sister site, it's V-Bulletin in all their glory having a tussle within itself

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I guess we´re down to 1/3 of the normal visitors numbers but it´s not the first time. Hope the situation will be cleared as it did take months to get back to the "normal" visitor figures after the last time...

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I don't think there is any reason to abandon ship. This is the third slowdown I've been through in a bit over two years. We've come back strong each time. I for one would not want to see this site merge with WW2Talk. Their point of view is so much more European that I don't think our positions would go over so well. Make no mistake, I enjoy popping in over there, but I feel lost in their knowledge set.

6. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Hold the line boys, Hold the line. We'll run off those scalywags yet!

7. White Flight

White Flight Member

I've been checking this sight almost daily for weeks with virus warnings popping up like flack bursts. Images would not load and was unable to make any kind of posts. Seems the problem is solved now. Maneuvering with ease, no warnings.

8. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Now then Poppy, one chap on WW2T said this site was kaput, and they're not right.
    Being perhaps more qualified than many to speak for us predominately Limey bastards; 'WW2Talk' did not say that. :eyebrows:

Merger? No. Not gonna happen. (We discussed that light-heartedly a couple of times and confirmed it'd be a big pointless car-crash of Kultures. From day one of their association it's been confirmed that the two sites will always remain separate. Though hopefully basically friendly.)
    Hits Mike? You'd possibly be surprised at the actual hits each site receives, and how close they're becoming in size. :cool:

Damn straight - the one's to blame are the virulent Arse-gits that create this Malware nonsense. Spit in their eyes, (the sweary filter on here will censor this, but **** 'em.), and get back to posting interesting WW2 threads and replying to 'em - a user-content based site is what the users themselves make of it. Press on, and don't let the mal-scum grind you down I reckon.

~A

scarface and macrusk like this.
  9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Well said Von Poop : rumors are tumors. If someone has any questions, let them ask the mods not the pub dwellers.

10. LRusso216

Good post, Adam. I like that the two sites are different. I'm betting we come back stronger than ever.

11. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Cheers Adam. From the day ww2talk came into my possession I have maintained that there will not be a merger (or a sale, or other shenanigans). Every day that goes by just confirms my resolve in that area. Although I manage the technical side of things at both sites I do not make any of the day-to-day decisions about WW2Talk itself. And, even if I wanted a merger (which I most certainly don't), it's up to the admin team over there to approve such a move. At then end of the day, it's just not my call.

As for the virus, there were some 40,000 sites using the same poorly developed software that got infected. As I'm not a corporation, I don't have a team of tech boffins at my disposal to resolve such issues, so sometimes it's a bit of a process to fix them.

12. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I'm diggin' in and stayin'....This is our Bastogne! I have faith that our admin team won't let this turn into Bataan for us!

13. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

AND YOU DON'T GIVE UP!! For which we are all in your debt.

Regards,

Rich

14. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Heh. There's a difference?:p

Just kiddin! Bein a former board-cop myself, I have an inkling what it takes to keep a site up and runnin smoothly. Keep chuggin away, guys! We've got your back(s)!

15. LRusso216

To the ba*****s who did this: NUTS!

16. theblackalchemist

theblackalchemist Member

I forgot to post this... but anyway here it goes..

for those of you who want to get rid of that blasted red page, go to the options in google chrome and just untick the box that says phishing and malware protection....
    for a smoother surfing....

[​IMG]

remember to turn it back on if you go to unknown sites :)

of course this doesnt resolve the issue on the server, but your eyes wont be burned.
    for a longer term solutions... vB should really update their code... or introduce new ones that prevent / freeze style changes/injections..

Regards,
    TBA

17. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm no longer blocked at home from accessing the site.

18. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

Site back to normal here !

Ron

19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Woo Hoo! Able to get in here with Firefox. Hoping all is right again. Thanks for the pep talk. Needed that. ...Good work . Three cheers.

20. 36thID

36thID Member

Good work, no warnings for 10 days. I'm not going to let cyber punks chase me away from my favorite site !!

To these cyber punks that tried to chase me off, a quote.....

NUTS !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.