Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Waffen SS books - which ones to buy??

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by L-Raiser, Mar 31, 2009.

1. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

I'm looking at an old Fedorowicz catalog, looking at Wiedinger's Das Reich and Lehmann's Leibstandarte, and then looking at my bookcase and thinking that they would look very good there.
    Are they the definite accounts??? or Trangs books on Leibstandarte are better than Lehmann's, these seem to be very thorough.
    What about Totenkopz, the only good book i know about them is Snydor's, are there more??
    And then there's this one i didn't knew it existed - European Volunteers: The 5 SS-Panzer-Division "Wiking".

2. halder

halder Member

Lehmann's history is the second best divisional history ever written, but tracking down a complete set (five volumes) will cost you a lot of money in either German or English. I've not seen Charles Trang's work but I know people speak highly of it.

Weidinger's history is still incomplete in English. Personally, I find it much drier than Lehmann (worst of all is his Comrades to the End which is drier than the Sahara in a drought).

4th SS division's history In Good Faith is excellent; JJF promise that the 2nd volume is imminent.

JJF also translated 5th SS (Strassner), 7th SS (Kumm), and 12th SS (Meyer).

As for Totenkopf, Karl Ullrich's Like a Cliff in the Ocean is probably the best English account, but you really want to buy the 8-volume Soldaten - Kaempfer - Kameraden by Vopersal. It is the best history of any German division I have ever seen.

3. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

As i dig deeper i find more interesting books, Tieke's Tragedy of the Faithful, sounds very interesting as it deals with the volunteer SS, and Narwa and Pomerania.

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

you are talking about all the old German language Munin verlag titles, they are the best written so far except if you get more specific into the armor books or SS Flak Abteilung works. the Kursk book by Stadler is the rock for all the future Kursk releases giving out the info on the German side mentioning the non losses of the Tigers that most earlier books always seem to include that itwas such a horro even for the Tiger Komapnies. JJF of course has it's own web-site, forget the old catalogs and check the online site out for the tranlated work(s)

5. Vet

Vet Dishonorably Discharged

SS armor on the Eastern front 1943-1945

Platz Der Leibstandarte A Photo Study of the SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Division Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler and the Battle for Kharkov January-March 1943

These are two that I have and they are good.

6. BWilson

BWilson Member

7. halder

halder Member

I can't recommend anything by Wilhelm Tieke too highly. Top notch stuff, but not much has been translated. In The Firestorm of the Last Year and Tragedy of the Faithful are first class. He served with the Wiking initially and I think he's still alive, although I'm not sure if he's still writing as I think he's about 89 now.

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

halder you have his two works on the 11th SS and the sub link SS H. v.Salz Stug unit aka later III.Schwere SS Panzer Abt works ? excuse my muck ups on spelling and sentanceing I am taking heavy cancer meds again.........

there are many SS works and many should be trashed as they just cover the same textual references and with the same repeated photos.

some other titles

1st SS Flak Abt - Gefährten unser Jugend

Jost Schneiders Thier Honor was Loyalty - RK winners of the W-SS.

Mark Yergers two books Knights of Steel - 2nd W-SS Das Reich personalities. too bad he put the nix on this volumous set.

Roger Benders introductory W-SS volumes 1-5. this really seemed to open up the interest in the W-SS branch

along with European volunteers on Wiking which there are at least 3 volumes by different authors, the 5th W-SS Pz. Regiment is covered in a German work, but sadly does not cover the Pz. IV Abt in 44-45 as it should. The Panther Abt. is covered well in photos : Verweht sind de Spuren.

9. halder

halder Member

10. halder

halder Member

11. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

Which one is the best ever written? :)

Erich could you please be a little more specific on "the Kursk book by Stadler"?

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Die Offensive gegen Kursk 1943

232 pages, 78 pics, 19maps 14 Panzer line profiles schematic(s).

large format like the other Munin Verlag titles, I want to say this was translated into English at one time but have no clue as to whom or the publishing firm. This book has been the basis for the German side of the actions, used well in George Nipes work on the IInd W-SS panzerkorps and used by other authors in their mentions of the Kursk salient in the south

ISBN: 3-921242-38-X

L-Raiser likes this.
  13. hucks216

hucks216 Member

Steel Inferno (I SS Pz Kps in Normandy) (ISBN: 1-873376-90-1)
    Men Of Steel (I SS Pz Korps in the Ardennes & Eastern Front 1944-45) (ISBN:1-86227-051-1)
    Sons Of The Reich (II SS Pz Kps) (Normandy, Arnhem, Ardennes, Eastern Front) (ISBN: 1-86227-146-1) - all three are by Michael Reynolds.
    Forgotten Legions - Obscure Combat Formations Of The Waffen-SS (ISBN: 0-7394-0817-8) - Antonio J Munoz. Very good for those interested in some of the lesser known battles in late 1944/45.
    The Last Knight Of Flanders (ISBN: 0-7643-0588-3) by Allen Brandt

14. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I still recommend www.rzm.com

good people but I see L is from Portugal so the best bet is to stay overseas ~ European dealerships

didn't think much of Steel Inferno or sons of the Reich, breezed through them and put them back on the B/Nobles book shelf

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

One that I highly suggest you will want in your library is a book I have talked at length about with several bookstore owners I have been buying from. The book is: Waffen SS Knights and their battles-which is by Peter Mooney. Im going to be getting this book within the next few months. It's also available at both Aberdeen and Histirica Bookstores. Aberdeen will give you an automatic 15% discount on it.

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

well I suppose I will list this, a Bildband

many of the newer titles include these pics to give base to their texts.

Wenn alle Brüder schweigen

ovre 1000 pics, large format, colour maps, etc

also any W-SS title by author Mark Rikenspoal (sp ?) Mark is a great guy to chat with, he is an indepth research/historian.

In German and about the only real detailed account though there is a huge fantastic German volume by 2 authors, not have the title or ISBN # for it though ......... on the 17th.

get Hans Stöbers volume 1/2 Die Sturmflut und das End on the 17th W-SS Pz. Gren. Div. One of the recon Offiziers also pulbished his dual volume(s) on his recon Abteilung as well for something much more specific

18. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Erich I think im right in saying the 2 volume set on the 17th Gotz von Berlichingen is by Heimdal, and is in French German and English text Authors are Jean-Claude Perrigault and Rolf Meister ISBN VOL 1. 2840481863 VOL 2.2840481995 and they are highly recommended.

19. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

hey friend, no actually I think it is written by two German authors, now must look see as to whom may of carried the volumes maybe Christian-Schmidt, again will have to double check, there may have truly been a Heimdal release and speaking of them a big thick heavy book with different illustrations by the same firm on the 9th W-SS and not similiar to W. Tiekes Firestorm book in my opinion

will check further for the full on title, JJF may have carried the German title for a time in their German language dept.

Antonia Munoz "Iron Fist" ..... covers also the 17th W-SS

Gordon Williamson also did a soft bound on the unit but way too small and cost prohibitive

E ~

20. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

Which one to buy Karl Ullrich's "Like a Cliff in the Ocean" or Charles Sydnor's "Soldiers of Destruction"? Or both :)