Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Warbirds and Fake Warbirds

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Dave War44, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Dave War44

Dave War44 Member

via War44
    I came across this gorgeous image the other day, stunning i'm sure you'll agree, it makes an awesome wallpaper.

109 periodPhotos.jpg

It appears in many places on the web, occasionally it is annotated, for example:
    But it's not a real photograph, i didn't think, but wasn't sure what made me think that. So i shared it with a mate of mine for a second opinion. A very knowledgable aircraft guy, George, he came back to me saying he agreed, he'd seen it done before, two model aeroplanes, extremely expertly produced, with an electric motor or a hairdryer to get the prop spinning, photograph them, then autocad them onto a suitable background shot, tidy up, you're done! The dead giveawy is no Swastika on the tailfin. Don't get me wrong i still love this image, the world is a better place for these artworks, but there is one place this image is reproduced where some contributor actually names the pilot in the lead aircraft as "German fighter ace so-and-so..."!!! :D That made me think should i tell them? No, I can't be bothered, I thought it would be better to post them here.
    Here's another, way too beautiful to be true:

b17bridge-079.jpg

2. Cabel1960

Cabel1960 recruit

via War44
    The shadows around the propellers help make these pictures look genuine, its marvalous what these people can do making these images so realistic. :thumb:

3. Dave War44

Dave War44 Member

via War44
    Aye joe it sure is, these guys probably their day job is doing airfix box art, which is almost photo-real these days. Compare with a real blurred propeller here. I thought this photo was laughably bogus, but apparently not. Gotta be an airshow.
    spithunting109.jpg

Also I'd like to post this, just because it's awesome.
    Messerschmitt_Bf-109_(Desert_Camouflage)_Wallpaper_jmxdb.jpg

And this, any opinions on this? i may have scanned it myself years ago but if i did i can;t remember where from. I thought it was real but sometimes looks like a still from the movie Stalingrad...
    IMAGE0006.jpg

4. Cabel1960

Cabel1960 recruit

via War44
    Yeah, that guy looks to warm to be on the eastern front lol. :lol:

Love the camouflage of the ME109 Dave, here is one in a different dress.

me109.jpg

5. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    When first placed on the internet there would have been great debate on such images Dave, are they or are they not genuine? That is how good the guys that make these are. Still a good topic today, thanks for sharing .. :thumb:

Good to see you pop in again BTW.