Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What do you think of this far out scenario????

Discussion in 'War in the Pacific' started by ickysdad, Nov 18, 2013.

1. ickysdad

ickysdad Member

http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.com/topic/24421/What-if-everything-went-wrong-for-Japan-Dec41Feb42?page=3

and this???
    http://francefightson.yuku.com/topic/721/APOD-Japanese-Aviation-Paper

They both seem kind of far fetched myself. It seems some think Japan could developed the Ki-74 to fly one way to drop a load of Anthrax on Chicago,LA or other cities wiping them out plus have the A7M Reppu in the air by mid to late 1943. It all seems to hinge on when Barbarossa is commenced and the Germans helping technically to developing better engines.

What do you think?

2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Very far out.

3. Takao

Takao Ace

I would have to say that these German "fan boys" are quite delusional, they seem to have changed everything but the kitchen sink to give Japan an edge.

No amount of German engineering help is going to save Japan. The DB-601 & the Japanese Atsuta copy were both maintenance heavy engines, thus they could be kept in working order in the home islands, but as you got further away from your supply sources, keeping up with spare parts and maintenance became more problematic. Not to mention that Japan will need far more merchant shipping to maintain a reliable flow of spare parts and supplies to her far flung island holdings - This problem is not addressed in the APOD Japanese paper. It is not just having the aircraft, but the ability to keep them flying.

They also seem to gloss over Japanese problems of training pilots.

4. green slime

green slime Member

Not only that, but nickel and strategic materials are "purchased from Spain and other neutrals".

I was unaware that Spain and other countries were suffering from a glut of this stuff, that they could happily supply all parties, at commodity prices.

I suppose Japan would be purchasing Spanish nickel with their surplus of agricultural product.

5. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Member

Wiping out a city even if possible, would not end the war. Even if these fantasies could be done, it still comes down to oil,oil,oil. Japan could not bring enough home and with out vastly more quantities, Japan could not hope to begin to match US production.

6. sapper

sapper British Normandy Veteran, Royal Engineers

It pays to get things into perspective. The American films, documentaries, have change the whole history of war. The legend of D day. the enigma. and a thousand other real events have been changed to suit the American ego. Why not? if it makes money for the authors? But it does have a terrible effect on the true facts of history. For often, I read about battles and assault that have little to do with the actuality. The facts as I witnessed them during the long Summer of 1944 in Normandy.

many folks here will not be aware, but in much of America, it is a true fact that only the USA took part in the battles of Normandy.... Only the USA!
    What that did was to change the whole vision of history .It is now the American view of the battles that has changed completely and for ever the true facts.. Their version overrides all others, They created the legends of D day and its CRAP!...

7. lwd

lwd Ace

It certainly does. I'm not sure how you think the following did so however.

Or not. Certainly they have changed some peoples perceptions of the war in ways that range from very positive to very negataive.

Certainly the legends have been changed. That's sort of what legends do, especially since their conection to accurate history is rather tenuous at time.
    Historical fiction is a well established field. Decry it if you will it is certainly not going to have much effect on it.

So now you fall into the same paradigm you deplore. Makeing up facts to fit your cause of the moment.

No not only in the USA but in many other places as well. Not that that is a good thing but it is unfortunately a fact.

There is no "American view" there indeed are many "American views" some are correct others aren't some acknowledge where there are holes in what we know some make up "facts" to cover such holes. Doing the same to fill support your rant does no one any good.
    Some is some isn't. The US certainly has no monopoly on it either. Sturgeon's Law is unfortunately close to reality.