Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What have you been watching?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Deep Web Diver, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

It is strange how sometimes the military seems to take too long to resolve issues. Like when the forestal had that incident and fire and they said it was due to a bad design of the starting carts a small generator to supply power to the planes till they got their engines started they had said that it was a problem that was reported way back the exhaust from the cart was very hot and would vent toward the planes like how hard is it to change the venting toward the ground anyway that heat accidentally heated the warhead of an aim missile and it went off activated and shot across the deck and hit another planes setting off fires that spread across the lines of planes they had been readiling for a strike mission plane after plane caught fire and exploded they tried to stop the domino effect by pushing aircraft over the side then the worse happened the ordinance on one of the planes reached a critical point and detonated killing most of the damage control crew about four hundred men killed or wounded. The rest of the deck crew were not trained in fire control but knew they had to get the fires out and grabbed the hoses and did what they could and got the fires under control. Two years later the enterprise would have a very similar incident by the same type of cart. The enterprise sustained heavy damage and luckily did not suffer the same huge casualties the forrestal had. The navy had changed training on the part of the forrestal disaster that all deck hands now had cross firefighting training a program to design ordnance with a higher cook rate. Redesign the starting cart and other changes to ship procedures. The thing about those slipstream fuses that many were not that reliable and many bombs had a nose and tail spinner some bombs had as many as three detonators to assure detonation. I was amazed to read about bomb design and thought isn't three like a bit much like are the detonators that faulty they have to have so much redundancy.

GRW likes this.
  2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I am not surprised there are up to three detonators on bombs. Strange things happen. There are parts of old and scrapped planes put to new planes because they are cheaper than brand new ones. In a document this was not considered a problem until they found some in Air Force One the US president's plane...??!

3. Prospero Quevedo

Well that have that Air Force salvage yard where they dismantle old planes for there parts they remove and refurbish old usable parts some planes are restored for service the completely stripped planes are then shredded for recycle. They yard pays for itself and saves the air force money on new parts but the parts salvaged are refurbished and certified as good as new. As for the bombs I use to wonder if it was trying to make sure the explosive all detonated or trying to get a more effective burst by having more than one ignition.
    Oh yeah that yard also does most of the remote conversions to make old planes into target drones. I remember reading they reported certain stocks of planes had been completely depleted used up as target drones.

4. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

World War II in Europe: Voices From The Front, 2020 made documentary, Remembering World War II, 75 years later, through the people who lived through it. 46 minutes long, National Geographic Channel via Comcast On Demand, free WWII movies and documentaries. And there are few left to remember what they did then.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  5. Prospero Quevedo

I like programs that have people who were there like on worlds greatest tank battles and dogfights. Great they were done while vets and civilians that were there were alive to participate

Half Track likes this.
  6. Prospero Quevedo

Watched that Doolittle series wow it was a long one but very detailed. Too bad the message to the Chinese never got to them some of the planes might have actually made a landing in China. Funny what happened to plane number six the kind of used in a movie but changed a few things in the movie. Too bad we couldn't get the soviets to let us land there we should have made a deal to give them the planes just told them we were delivering them

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    Half Track likes this.
  7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I think the there was a Russo-Japanese peace pact so Stalin would have broken rules by acting in any way towards the Japanese.

8. Prospero Quevedo

Yes Stalin used that but he was always planning on breaking it just waiting for the right time

Kai-Petri likes this.
  9. Prospero Quevedo

Been watching more WGTBs on YouTube. I think the Canadians got a raw deal the British always seemed to have bad intelligence they gave them. Advance don't worry the German have pulled out or the Germans have light units in the area. The Canadians move forward oops, hey there's a panzer division and SS troops here. Move out and take this sector don't worry our artillery bombardment will neutralize any defenses oops guess we missed they had guns everywhere. However the canooks keep right on going took heavy losses but they still keep advancing and taking out the enemy. Watched some westerns, comedies and more stuff on the war.

Half Track likes this.
  10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Like said Neillands comments the biggest losses wer faced during retreat. I am sure this was a rehearsal for the D day so how come the retreat after reaching certain goals was not planned. Or were the planners thinking there was no need for retreat plans because nobody would return???

11. Prospero Quevedo

There's a bunch of stuff on you tube on how to build 1/6th scale cr tanks I really liked the one on the Swiss m38 the guy makes a bunch of parts on a 3D printer including the track links. Builds the hull out of a combination of plywood and sheet metal. He does a great job building lights and really detailed storage boxes with the latched made from wire. He makes a rig for making strap buckles for tie down straps out of thin wire as well the straps made out of paper of some sort. Installed servos to lake the turret rotate and the barrel recoil. Built a bunch of other details to dress up the model looked great when done.
    Another guy collects old models and toys he finds while doing urban exploring. He goes in a building that has a bunch of radiation warning signs. Searches a room warning in there too, but he finds an old beat up t34 85 toy tank. He uses a digital Geiger counter scans the area and the toy puts it in a bag with the radiation warning. Takes it home takes it apart and cleans all the parts he completely dismantles the toy model and cleans all the part very well, then repainted them. He tries to straighten the gun barrel but ends up fabricating a new one from a piece of sprue. Does a great job has some other videos on other old model toy restorations on YouTube. I wonder if he does the vids to earn money as videos that get a large viewing earn money.
    The vids are great the m38 one gives me ideas on how to try to build one I know I can build suitable looking road wheels the drive sprocket will be the hard thing to get right. The hull and turret should be simple enough to do. I figure I can build a few wheels then make the number I need by cast the number I need for the model.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  12. Prospero Quevedo

One thing one thing I hate about history shows is finding shows with differing info. Like one vid about the Kreigs marine says they built a large number of subs right away bit another said it took months for the Germans to actually build them in earnest as hitler believed that the battles ships were the way to go and only listened to his naval marshal about build more subs only after they had devastated the merchant fleet. I think that if they had build many more subs before the war started they really might have crippled the British war effort if they were not getting war enough supplies from the US.

13. Prospero Quevedo

I'm thinking Putins political career could be over there's like no way he can make this look good he has thousands of casualties and lost hundreds of military vehicles and quite a number of aircraft. This war must be costing them big time and like how long can they keep pouring in equiptment and supplies before they start running short or bringing their stocks low. Maybe they are buying munitions from the Chinese, the Chinese use similar munitions and make stuff much cheaper than just about anyone. Also their saying the Chinese have been supporting Russia politically wise.

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Even if Putin stayed in power the country has lost all economical connections with the west. No more money, Putin. Nobody sells electronics, food, nada. Political connections dead. And what do you get? Part of Ukraine and dead army. Russia is in economical pit for tens of years. Two steps forward, then 50 steps backwards.

Prospero Quevedo likes this.
  15. Prospero Quevedo

Yeah said that to my nephew that he's really messed up that the west won't deal with him however that's to our dumb capital we've let most of our electronic manufacturing go to China and even though we had sanctioned Russia the Chinese will probably sell every thing and anything they can.

16. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Russia has lots of oil/gas and raw materials, China needs. China has manufacturing and capital. They'll form a trading block and while sanctions will hurt short term, long term look for China and Russia to become closer.

17. Prospero Quevedo

Yeah the Russo sino war was over Japan trying to push the Russians out and get the oil fields and have sole access to the iron ore, but they got beat. Near the end of the war Stalin decided he could try to take over all of Manchuria and invaded with a huge army the over ran the Japanese and pushed them out. Then he had his men dismantle the Japanese factories and set them Bach up far in the north then pulled back to the original borders. He used the former Japanese factories to refine ore and such for his own needs.
    I read the Japanese are fired up over a past dispute over some former islands the Russians took around the end of the war and kept. Sounds like the dispute has fired up again and Japan is saying they might take them back. At one time the Russians maintained a garrison and deployed a tank battalion but not the garrison is mostly reduced and most of the tanks are just rusty hulks facing the sea unless they actually static and the guns still work. From pictures the place looks pretty deserted and the tanks just rusted junk. If the Japanese do go for it it will be the first military campaign since wwii. I wonder if they can really do it as they haven't had any real experience in war for so long and do they have the offensive capabilities for such since their army has been for self defense for decades. I know they do regular training with the US but training still doesn't mean they had the know how and what. I'm sure the Russians trained their army and look how bad they are doing they certainly are not the army they had during the fight for the mother land.

18. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Seems though like China looks at what the USA is doing and thinks politically and economic sanction wise. And China considers that you should not touch independent countries like Russia has done. China don't like that. China might take advantage of Russia's poor situation but I doubt they want to co-operate with a man like Putin. Russia could sell gas, coal, minerals, oil but I doubt that this would satisfy China's hope for economic growth, neither the possibility of being pulled to any kind of war in Europe.

19. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Russia is not a huge economy, relatively small compared to China...The thing is neither trust each other. If you've ever had a girlfriend you KNOW you are going to break up with...You know how this relationship is going...

20. Prospero Quevedo

I don't think China would follow what the rest of the world does as they are in some ways doing things Russia has done. Like most of the fleets of the western world are patrolling the seas around China as they have been trying to control waters that were considered international and now the claim they are territorial even building man made islands to try and establish ownership. Forcing fishing boats out of waters and sending in their own fishing boats, the phillipines Vietnam and US coast guard have all arrested and sunk Chinese fishing boats illegally fishing in others territorial waters. Last year the coast guard reported arresting and sinking 300 Chinese fishing boats and turning the cargo over to the countries they caught the boats in. I really think they should have auctioned off the boats too to,raise money for operations and the boats could be used by fishing fleets all over north and South America. Also they would have a trading monopoly if all other countries follow thru on their sanctions so I don't think Russia will suffer much as I'm sure the Chinese will continue and increase trade with them. Our past presidents are to blame for helping them become the largest manufacturer of multiple goods from tvs to computers and most other electronic goods and food goods of all,types. Frozen foods snack goods they export more chicken products than any other country. They sell lots of steel all,over they buy our scrap steel and recycle it into sheet or ingots for commercial industrial use. They even buy most of our recycled paper and cardboard to make into packing boxes and other packaging products. Remanufacture our recycled copper into new wire. They have pretty much put most of the lumber mills out of business sending their floating mills here and doing most of our milling cheaper than us mills. We helped them build themselves up to the industrial power they are now and they dominate just about every industry these days. They are quickly catching up,and surpassing us in just about everything. Aircraft ships other military production. There hasn't been much we can do these days a few companies tried to move back but China threaten huge fines and seizure of all assets and the factories if they tried to leave without permission so they really have control over the economy of lots of countries that invested and built factories there. China knows they have a great thing going and control so much of the industrial market. They are going to do everything to keep,that control as look at the infrastructure that money is paying for. Power grids all over China. Hwy and fwy networks all,over, huge modern cities everywhere. An advanced Air Force, navy, and ground forces. China also has a huge military but they also have demonstrated poor training and coordination in their border clashes with India as India has reported that even though the Chinese have usually had far more numbers they were able to repel them with the fewer forces they had. That the Chinese fought not as aggressively and not coordinated as well,as they should. Like the Chinese haven't fought any wars in years since the Korean War against western powers. Even withal,the latest weapon technology it's doubtful to say how they will,be in real,combat like everyone thought the Russians would be a tilde wave of force and they have proven to be a lot less of what most countries invisioned. Terrible for a country that has such a huge military budget to,pour billions into a military that with such a huge advantage in air and ground power can't seem to take most of their objectives. So maybe their armor is really junk these days experts have been saying rusdian tanks were poorly designed and had lots of problems while Russians denied it saying the users were at fault not using the tanks properly. Like the huge tank losses of the arabscwas because they had poor tactics and used the tanks poorly. However it's evident they are doing poorly themselves even with a larger numerical superiority.